Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What can I do to my stock VW T1 to make it quicker ?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giovanni1970.1600cc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: What can I do to my stock VW T1 to make it quicker ? Reply with quote

Hi guys i've just have by bug resprayed and the engine is now running a 1500cc bottom end with 1600cc pistons and bores i've seen that some people say that a up rated carb jet and an electric fuel pump could give %25 more power what i really would love is if anyone could tell me any more things i could do to gain a bit more bhp and 0-60mph
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hope to hear from you all soon
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: what can i do to my stock vw t1 to make its quicker ? Reply with quote

giovanni1970.1600cc wrote:
i've seen that some people say that a up rated carb jet and an electric fuel pump could give %25 more power

That's not possible.

A fuel pump will not add horse power. A poorly tuned carb can rob horse power, but a well tuned one will only let it run as designed.

BTW... your generator is installed incorrectly, it needs to be rotated 90* clockwise. There's a vent inside the fan shroud and it's pointed the wrong way and can cause it to run hot.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duel port heads, duel hpmx 40mm crabs. header.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install some 1.25 ratio rockers. That'll liven up a stock cam
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:

1.4 rockers are priced roughly the same and will also work with the stock cam. But on an otherwise stock engine, there isn't much gain to be had. Now, if you first open up the intake and exhaust, then ad high ratio rockers, now you're cooking with gas Wink
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
RareAir wrote:

1.4 rockers are priced roughly the same and will also work with the stock cam. But on an otherwise stock engine, there isn't much gain to be had. Now, if you first open up the intake and exhaust, then ad high ratio rockers, now you're cooking with gas Wink

Here's my two cents how much money do you have to spend ? That will tell you what you can do to your motor . Here's a cheap way to more HP take the tips out of your muffler and run straight pipe tips every one sells them or buy a small 13/8 header I am sure your using a 30 pict carb put a 125 main jet in it and get rid of that air cleaner you need a air cleaner with a 5" to 6" velocity stack to stop fuel stand off better yet put a stock air cleaner back on it has the velocity stack built into it and you can use carb pre heat . Then have some hold the throttle to the floor and make sure your getting full throttle .i don't know how many times I have seen vws that did not have full throttle make sure your 09 dizy has good points and cond. and cap and good plug wires and make sure the points gap is on the money the above should make some hp . There's nothing wrong with single port heads I feal there more street friendly if you want more power by a set of EMPI single port end castings and find a dual port intake manifold and a 34 pic carb that works good jet the carb with a 130 main jet I have friends that use the same set up and they love it to me sometimes happie ness is a stock carb .if you want more power take your motor apart put a cam in it big bore kit dual port heads cut for 9:01 cr. Run dual carbs there are so many ways to build a motor I am not going to go there because every guy has his best engine combo . Good luck like I said just my two cents take it or leave it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
duel port heads, duel hpmx 40mm CRABS , header.

Mark, are you saying hpmx's give cars Crabs?, do they have a shot for that? Razz
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - there have been many write ups on this stuff. According to some testing done by Jake Raby and I think Art Thraen a few years ago, just a good header made bigger increases than I would have thought. BUT in general, you want to make improvements the whole way through the engine. My wife's 61 is a perfect example. I worked with Art on the combo.

Went dual 40mm single barrels (I like Kads). He did a set of with mildly ported stock dual port heads to improve flow. Ratio rocker would give similar results. Then a good quality properly sized header (1 3/8"). We got close to 70HP on the dyno with this very mild combo. Gets 30MPG combined and is incredibley reliable and will last forever since the bottom end is essentially stock.

Perfect example of what Glenn is talking about was a VW I was helping a buddy with. Was essentially stock, with way too big set of Webbers on it. Car was pretty good above 4000 RPMS, but under that it was a major dog.

And as far as tuning, I have picked up 13% myself with just jetting. Had a buddy that we dialed in his kads and his advance curve for his 1776 on the dyno. We picked up almost 20 HP.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:

Perfect example of what Glenn is talking about was a VW I was helping a buddy with. Was essentially stock, with way too big set of Webbers on it. Car was pretty good above 4000 RPMS, but under that it was a major dog.

And as far as tuning, I have picked up 13% myself with just jetting. Had a buddy that we dialed in his kads and his advance curve for his 1776 on the dyno. We picked up almost 20 HP.

Sometimes the cheapest HP's is found on the dyno. And make an engine run good all the way.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
giovanni1970.1600cc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you everyone for the advice and support ! awesome to hear all these ideas, right so regarding the cam and rockers am i right in thinking that all i have to do is take the rocker covers off and replace the cams and rockers then set up the valve gaps and re tune ?
thanks for the tip about the setting up of the full throttle as this is the first time i've attempted anything like this i wouldn't have known about that so thanks again, dose it look like i have a 009 distributor as i don't know quite how to tell yet ?lol
regarding my generator being the wrong way round would that mean the stainless steel cover that i've used to wrap around it theres also one on the coil something that i've noticed is that when i put the engine in the light on the left of the speedo is on its red and at the bottom did'nt know if that had something to do with the cover ??
Cool

Last edited by giovanni1970.1600cc on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
giovanni1970.1600cc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i now understand the gen position thanks again Smile
giovanni1970.1600cc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just in case anyone has had this problem i thought i'd post it so here you go ?
my generator light was on the dash colcks and its not charging the battery so i belive i have to polarize it wont go in to detail but it can happen if it has'nt been used for a few months, i'm sure all you guys know about this but these post can come up in google so it might help somone some day thanks again Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: