Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator/Regulator problem (12v)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdd702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Alternator/Regulator problem (12v) Reply with quote

I recently acquired a VW bug and fixed a few things and bought some parts. I picked up a new generator, polarized it and it puts out the right amount of volts. I also got a new regulator for it, however when I hook the positive lead to the generator it kills the voltage that the generator was putting out.

Any help?
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title says Alternator/regulator but you say you have a generator. Just to be clear, the generators are the same diameter along their length. Alternators are fatter at the pulley end than the fan end.

You don't say exactly how you polarised it either, so...

If it is a generator, follow this procedure and it will help you diagnose the cause of the problem.
www.vw-resource.com/generator.html

If you do in fact have an alternator, these NEVER need polarising - they use different metals to generators and so they don't hold a residual magnetic field to get the alternator started. Instead they use the small current through the dash Alt bulb to excite the Alt into action.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator/Regulator problem (12v) Reply with quote

kdd702 wrote:
I recently acquired a VW bug and fixed a few things and bought some parts. I picked up a new generator, polarized it and it puts out the right amount of volts.

Could you maybe provide more details?
List the parts you replaced or don't bother mentioning them at all.
Why did you buy a new generator? What was wrong with the old one?
How many volts does the new generator output? 12.0v? 12.6v? 13.8v? 14.5v?
Was this at idle or with the rpms higher?
What was the static voltage at the battery when you did this?

kdd702 wrote:
I also got a new regulator for it, however when I hook the positive lead to the generator it kills the voltage that the generator was putting out.

Why did you need both a new generator and VR?
Does the positive terminal on the generator have a designator stamped next to it? Is it D+? Is it DF?
If you have a generator, you realize the battery does not connect directly to the generator? The B+ cable from the battery connects to the B+ terminal of the VR. The heavy gauge red wire from the VR D+ terminal is what connects to the D+ stud on the generator.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: