Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 cabriolet fuel injection- new wiring loom / carbs?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: 79 loom Reply with quote

Jon Aaron at vwlooms.com in UK made a loom for me based upon the core I sent him. Now that he has measurements/specs he can make you one too. No one else makes a complete harness for the 75-79 bugs, the only thing made stateside is the "main" harness from engine to fuse block. Jon has every wire except maybe the two foot ground for the rear window defroster (easy female spade terminal at each end) and the wiper motor wires (I didn't want to cut them off to send them).

The FI harness is more difficult. You need to send a core to Kyle (http://www.kyleautomotivespecialties.com/) and you'll get back a like new FI harness. It was rather pricey but its definitely show quality.

PM me if you are interested in a used but good complete harness I pulled out of my car which is like 98% complete. I don't have the FI harness however as the core was a parts donor.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ady arnatt wrote:
hi garry, I may have found what you were after, I have found two wiper motors setups, one lhd and the other rhd (I think), see here: -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

is it the black plastic cover piece you are after which is fixed to the metal mount with screws? if it is, you can have it.

not sure about my steering rack and exhaust? will have a look,

cheers

Hi Ady
Sorry thats not the bit
i should of explained a bit better
its the big metal cover that covers the wiper motor

i have a mint powder coated rhd one that looks the same as a lhd one

so its a lhd one i am looking for .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple pics of how I put the seats in just 1" box section drilled through original side runners from the 3 point mount floor pan and counter drilled and then bolted to the Audi seats works really well no problems

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ady arnatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weezle - thanks for the advice! just waiting for Jon to get back to me, cheers

Garry - thanks for the photos of the seats, I am on the hunt for some audi seats now, they fit a treat. when u ordered the wiring for the heated seats, can u remember what it consisted of and the switching arrangement? I have been this question by two separate companies I have approached for a loom including james 153, cheers
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ady

I got James to supply the loom i told him it was for a 1303, so it came from the the fuse box and goes to the seats. I also bought Audi TT seat switches which the wiring for them was in the loom and James supplied easy instructions to connect it all up , i fitted a Kamei style centre console which is sited in front of the fuse box and thats where i mounted the switches I t was about £35

old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ady arnatt wrote:
old gh bug wrote:
Ady arnatt wrote:
seeing yours has given me good inspiration to push on with mine, have you lowered yours? thinking of lowering mine 2". how long did yours take to put back together ?

i have lowered the the front by 2 " just by fitting lowered springs i had lowered struts but that was too low, i am just lowering the back now i have adjustable spring plates that i am about to fit , but i am replacing the the bearings and fitting 944 brakes all round .
i see yours is rhd did you convert it ? i also have a 2.1 ltr porsche fan motor to go in it , at some point

Also i notice you have a 911 in the background i had a 1980 carrera 3.0tr wide bodied one a while ago .

Just had a good read through your thread, all good stuff for me to take on Board. Seats looks great, what work was involved in getting to fit in terms of runners for front, getting the back one to fit and did the rear have integral seat belts? Sorry loads of questions! What u have turned out is virtually exactly what I would like to achieve, failry stock ish with a few subtle tweaks.

Mine has already been converted to rh drive, but I have the old spare left hand dash, the rh dash was sourced in the uk by the previous owner.

Today I have found a local auto sparkie and talked through taking out the fuel injection which he recommend and talked though photographing all the wiring before I take it out and label it up as I remove it in case we need to look at it when new wiring goes in. Just need to order a non fuel injection loom.

The 911 is not mine, that photo was at the previous owners garage, nice car though!

Cheers

Hi Ady whats the condition of your lhd dash like could be interested in it as a spare if you want to sell
Ady arnatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garry, I was wondering what to do with the lh dash the other day, so you would be more than welcome to have it. It is in better condition than my rh one, it just has a very small split, but apart from that, I think it is ok. I will give it a dust off and post up some pics. Instead of cash, have you got anything left over from your resto I'm going to need to do a swap? Or just pay for the postage for me to send it to you?
Ady arnatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found the switches on ebay so I'm going to buy a couple and fit a centre console like yours.

I got the engine out last week And then the body is being braced with box section to brace ready to take the body off the pan, which should be the week after next. Aiming to get pan uptogether for Christmas and then body respray in jan.
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ady

Thanks for the offer i am sure we can work something out .
I have just had an operation on my left hand so will be out of action for sometime , in the garage anyway that is . 4 weeks i will be going mad !!!

I got my centre console from a firm in Ireland aircooled something cant remember exactly , as trying to get an original Kamei one that hasn't been butchered is just about impossible . the one i got was about £60 posted .

What bits are you after , i have some stuff but probably not what you need .
let me know what you are after i did a lot of hunting around for seals rubbber trims etc and found a big difference in prices Diemos was good for some , but ask me and hopefully i can steer you in the right direction.

i will have a set of cross drilled front disc set up with calipers and stub axles , if yours has drums a good swap when i have changed mine.

a very good hood frame that i was going to use just ready for powder coating .
refurbed rhd steering rack
powder coated pedal assembly rhd
a spare set of hood clamps .

what are you doing with bumpers are you changing them or keeping the originals?

It's a pitty you are so far away cars and rebuild so muc in common

Garry
Ady arnatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garry,

I definitely need the pedal assembly and what condition are the hood clamps in? One I have is broken and the other is slightly rusty so was going to buy two new ones from Wolfsburg west.

I would also be interested in the brakes.

Bumpers - these had had it, so went to the scrapyard and buying new.

When will be the brakes be changed over?

Cheers ady
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ady

i dont think the brakes will be done until at least the end of November or even mid December just depends on how well my hand repairs and whether my wife lets me back in the garage lol.Unless you fancy a trip up North and stripping them off!!!!!

i would want £35 for the pedal cluster as it has been refurbed and powder coated.

the hood catches are all good , i know where these are so i will try and get a picture of them in the next couple of days .

i have a new rear Euro bumper with genuine vw rubber strip and a front rubber strip to match very nice if of any interest.

also just remembered i have a set of porsche teledial wheels black with polished centre caps

Also just to let you know i have just bought all new urethane bushes for the front and rear from KingfisherKustoms these were half the price of what they would of been from heritage
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ady

i dont think the brakes will be done until at least the end of November or even mid December just depends on how well my hand repairs and whether my wife lets me back in the garage lol.Unless you fancy a trip up North and stripping them off!!!!!

i would want £35 for the pedal cluster as it has been refurbed and powder coated.

the hood catches are all good , i know where these are so i will try and get a picture of them in the next couple of days .

i have a new rear Euro bumper with genuine vw rubber strip and a front rubber strip to match very nice if of any interest.

also just remembered i have a set of porsche teledial wheels black with polished centre caps

Also just to let you know i have just bought all new urethane bushes for the front and rear from KingfisherKustoms these were half the price of what they would of been from heritage
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ady

old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ady

Ady arnatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garry,

I'll like to buy the pedal assembly, how much would you be after for the catches and bumper?

Is the bumper the good quality version, i.e. not the sunny climate ones?

Would you be prepared to put a price together for the 3 items together posted to BH7 6QB, with me posting the dashboard to you?

The wheels sound good, but might be too heavy and costly to post / parcel? do you have any photos of them?

The brakes may be ok as I wont need them before then.

Successfully spilt the pan from the body tonight, just need a few mates round at the weekend to carry it out of the garage...................

Cheers

Ady
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ady
Pic of wheels

tyres arent brilliant

i got paisley freight to pigk up wheels for ma at bristol and it cost me £40 good servive too
i will get some pics of bumper and pics tomorrow and work out a price

sounds like you are cracking on with it

cheers Garry
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?Hi Ady hope this comes you ok

Excuse typing as only got one hand at the moment !!!

here are some pics of bumper it is Brazilin reasonable quality i was going to put it on mine but keeping the originals now
the rubber strips are genuine VW and really transform the bumper itlooks a bit dull thats is just because i had coated it with WD

there is a pic of the hood catches i was keeping them to go into the spare hood frame i have but the ones on my hood are ok so i can let these go .

Pedal cluster all good and like new

I would like £175 for the lot plus postage or you can arrange it yourself , if you want the wheels i can do a deal with them

have you got any pictures of the split of the body from the pan and your engine

cheers Garry
Ady arnatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garry,

The £175 for the items would be great. How much more do you think postage will be? How can I pay you?

Thanks for the pics of the wheels, but I am probably going for alloy / chrome ones.

I will take some pics of the floorpan and body at the weekend after lifting the body out of the garage. I have just been having a poke about and everything appears pretty solid. Still only one hole under the battery tray and a small hole in one wheelarch, apart from that, just surface crud, I don't think the welding list is going to be very long which is good. One day of my brother in law bringing his welder round and it should get wrapped up.

Cheers

Ady
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ady

Iwill check on postage ,i will see if Hermes will be able to send it if not will look for someone else.

you can paypal me to [email protected] or you can send a cheque whichever works for you.

i did send you an email not sure if you got it mine is [email protected]

have you decided what you are doing with theFI on the engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: