Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

002 transaxle rebuild question.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KooK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: 002 transaxle rebuild question. Reply with quote

So I'm getting some heavy whining in 4th gear on my stock 002 transaxle. I was wondering if these things required special tools of sorts to be able to take them apart and rebuild them. I'm no stranger to RWD and FWD transmissions, but this would be my first transaxle I ever played with.

Also, if it's not that bad of a thing, is there a good book/reference to look at?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 002 transaxle rebuild question. Reply with quote

KooK wrote:
So I'm getting some heavy whining in 4th gear on my stock 002 transaxle. I was wondering if these things required special tools of sorts to be able to take them apart and rebuild them. I'm no stranger to RWD and FWD transmissions, but this would be my first transaxle I ever played with.

Also, if it's not that bad of a thing, is there a good book/reference to look at?

Yes....it does take some special tools. If you have worked on front wheel drive then you should be at least in the neighborhood for this one. Most front sheel drive while being a totally different configuration....are transaxles with the differential and transfer case in the same unit.

A Bentley manual for your vehicle and a "without guesswork" booklet for your year....and it covers types 1 through 4 (ebay has them).....has all of the really detailed measurements for differential and backlash settings if any are missing in Bentley.

I am not an expert on transmissions.....I have worked quite a bit on 003 automatic....and probably know more about the 004 (which has similarities to parts of the 091) than anyone on the forums.

There are special jigs for setting up final, drive.....you can get around most of them.....if you neasure what is there before as you tear down.....and can improvise.

I am in Des Moines as well. If I can help or if you need help improvising tools let me know. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you need special tools to do a type II transmission. The Bentley VW factory manual shows some of the special tools needed. You need a jig to set up the transmission part.
If you are only doing one trans, it cheaper to have someone that does transmission for a living instead of buying the tools.
Plus there are some upgrades that need to be done that are not shown in books.
There is a lot of information here on the Samba. Start with the sticky in the Off Road section "Transmissions for Dummies" it will be a good start.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a couple type 1 swings and IRS boxes. Counting the press I bought in the second quarter, Im up to about 1000-1100 $ in tools. I used to use my press at work but finally manned up and got one myself. So without press about 600 bucks in tools. I also made a few custom tools. The jig helps to set up your engagement of the forks.
JS suggestion is a good one. If your only planning to ever do one, its not worth it. Most rebuild costs start around $400. Theres lots of tricks that isnt covered. One such is cutting/shaving the 3 big teeth on the engagement gear if that part of the gear is worn. My biggest struggle is compatibility of part to part in xx box vs xo box. If your serious to do more than 5, then the rebuild discs from Long Enterprises is worth it, it taught me a great deal.

Edit sorry I just read its an 002. I have not rebuilt any of the rib later bus trans. So you need different tools then what I listed. It probably costs a little bit more to have rebuilt. My mistake.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite fearless with most things but I won't build one of these myself, too many special tools needed, and not enough space for me to start collecting cores!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 002 transaxle rebuild question. Reply with quote

KooK wrote:

These transmissions are different animals. Not saying you couldn't do it but we have rooms full of good used gears, sliders, syncros, etc to work with. Sometimes it takes trying a few before we can get the right backlash and fit. It's not like replacing pistons andf cylinders on an engine.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built over 1000 transaxles, from t-1 to 002,091, mendeola, pbs. megasand ect. For a 69 and later 002(68 is a one year only trans) you will need a pinion nut socket, pinion bearing nut socket, side screw socket(easily made) a fork jig, and a press. As well as misc. snap ring pliers and such. A fork jig can be made out of a doner main case.
Beware of some of the crap you read online.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the things you will find when taking a Bus trans apart is the gear carrier (the part of the case between the nosecone(shift housing) and main housing) where the mainshaft bearing set always wears (soft magnesium) and needs to be machine and a aluminum sleeve install for mainshaft bearing to set in. The shift ball are made of plastic and need replacing with a steel shift ball. Also it is wise to install a steel thrust plate between the gear carrier and nosecone. This keep the mainshaft bearing from wearing into nosecone. You nosecone will more than likely need resurfacing as the mainshaft bearing has already worn into it.
The U bracket holding the shift linkage needs a reinforcement welded to one side. I use 1/2in wide flat strap welded on to keep the ears from breaking off.
3th and 4th gears on the early 002 trans have the syncro cones (where the synchronizing teeth are) that are just pressed on. They should be welded in place as they will spin when subject to use they were never intended for. I tried using red Loctite and heating of the syncro cones for a shrink fit and they can still spin.
Yes you can make some of the tools as others have done over the years including me. My jigs are cut up transmissions cases. The socket for the large 80mm pinion nut is not something you want to cheap out on with the torque required to tighten and loosen it. Expect to pay around $150.00 and up for the good one that won't crack. And you will need a tool to remove the nut holding the pinion bearing on pinion shaft. Good ones are not cheap.
For removing and installing the side adjuster holding differential in place you can make a tool to do this.
For spinning the trans while in the jig for setting the shift forks, I use the center out of a clutch disc with a homemade handle welded on it.
To push the pinion bearing out along with the rest of transmission part out of the case, I use a air hammer with a tool that fits in the indent of pinion head or a large punch that fits in to same indent.
The VW trans with being able to set up clearances and being able to adjust shift forks there I really nothing like it out there anymore that you can find in common use.
The later Vanagon 091/1 094 4 and 5 speeds do not require using a jig to set up the transmission part.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KooK isn't talking, but it's probably a Type I 002 ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: