Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a Real Picture of '63 Hazard Switch/Relay/Turn wiring
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Need a Real Picture of '63 Hazard Switch/Relay/Turn wiring Reply with quote

After doing exhaustive research trying to find a real picture (not a schematic) of the Hazard/Relay/Turn wiring i came up empty. Its for a 63 DC thats 12V.

If you have such a picture and detailed explanation of the connections and part numbers, it would be most appreciated. I have seen all the home made wiring diagrams people have posted with the 3 terminal flasher and 5 prong relay (not real clear on it) but would like to see it all in action.

Thank you for your time
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the manufacture month/year?

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have misspoke on the year as this is a friends DC. The wiring is from a 62 or 63 but the chassis I am not sure of.

I know it uses the 8 fuse fuse block. We almost had it all working, but then there were some slight issues because we had the wrong flasher I believe (was a 2 prong).

I was just hoping to see some pictures of people's setups so that we could match it up or atleast give us a good direction.

I apologize since this is for a friend I do not have all the information about it. Sad
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a two prong flasher will work. Just requires two wires to go to one terminal.

1963 the wiring changed sometime mid year for just the E-flasher system. Before that one could get optional VW and after market kits to install such.
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out its a late 62 so my guess is it would be considered 63. Do you know where i can get pictures of an actual setup? I'm a very visual person and seeing it hooked up helps.

Thank you kindly to anyone else who may see this as well.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still would help to know the month of manufacture. 1962-64 was a transition time for the E-flasher system. Some of those changes did not occur with the model year change.
After July62 it would be a 1963 model year type 2.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the wiring in our USA destined DEC 1962 SC. Running Euro taillights and gauges so wiring not exactly like from factory to TLs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some great wiring, and thank you for the pictures as they do help. I wish I knew the month of manufacture.

In the first picture, is that a spdt relay? I see the 3 prong flasher. I imagine that a 12v setup would be pretty much the same using 12v hardware?

Your help has been most appreciated.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what a spdt relay is. First image shows the E-flasher relay. E-flasher only works with ignition key in "Run" position. So if you have the engine turned off or not working, if the distributor points happen to be closed, the distributor points will burn up in a few minutes. So if that happens, take the coil to the distributor points wire off the coil to prevent that, or with static light turn engine by hand to open up the points and will be shown by static light turning on.

Have been trying to figure out how to make the E-flasher work without risking fried points. Not sure if a diode would work or just would be easier to install a hidden switch up front of the dash to turn on power to the E-flasher.
wrenchnride247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My march of '62 SC has 12V flashers now and the hazards work with key off. Running WW flashers and new turn signal switch. I can take pic tomorrow if you like.

'62 SC 69x90.5 SP TI
'70 T1 84x105 DP T4
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
That is some great wiring, and thank you for the pictures as they do help. I wish I knew the month of manufacture.

In the first picture, is that a spdt relay? I see the 3 prong flasher. I imagine that a 12v setup would be pretty much the same using 12v hardware?

Your help has been most appreciated.

The emergency is a dual make relay and a bit hard to find in 12v. If you understand what a dual make relay is you can sub 2 standard relays and accomplish the same thing. Get the turn flasher for a 70 bus and it is plug and play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Real Picture of '63 Hazard Switch/Relay/Turn wiring Reply with quote

More updated info here on the flasher we now have.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Real Picture of '63 Hazard Switch/Relay/Turn wiring Reply with quote

SPDT = single pole double throw
Here’s a schematic, explanation + video:
https://www.electroschematics.com/9598/spdt-relay-switch/
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Real Picture of '63 Hazard Switch/Relay/Turn wiring Reply with quote

Maybe this helps?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7972322#7972322
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: