Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Substitute Carburetor
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crank_Shaft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Substitute Carburetor Reply with quote

Does anyone know what carburetor for a different car can work on a Dual Port 1600 beetle engine besides a Weber? The problem is that a beetle carburetor here in South Africa is a rare thing and costs an arm and a leg if you do find on. I have tried everything on the carburetor I have installed at the moment, but my beetle wont run smoothly and it wont idle.

When I floor it the car runs great and has a lot of power, but when i leave the accelerator the revs remain in the mid 2000s for a about 10 seconds and then starts dieing. when you then accelerate the revs go high again and repeats the spluttering.

There are no vacuum leaks and the fuel pump is new and tested. so i want to try and modify a common carburetor to replace my current one so if there are problems again the it would be easy to replace and cheaper.
BotanyBandit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you asked [email protected] if he would be able to ship one to you. I know its quite a ways away from him, maybe he is willing, he does an awesome job on stock carbs. I bought a 30 pict 1 for my dp1600, although its a tad small for the engine its simple to work on. Just make sure you get one with a power port if you are able to go that way.
highroller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2. Mines great.
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A single throat carb for the european ford taunus 1600 cc worked well for me years ago. There are replacement single throat webers for this car that are identical but may be hard to find in your neck of the woods. I have also used a progressive carb from a mitsubishi galant 1600 that worked better. Any carbs are harder to find in this fuel injection age.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: