Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a stereo in the glove box of my '63 beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Newman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Installing a stereo in the glove box of my '63 beetle Reply with quote

Hello all-
I recently bought a 63 in really nice condition. I am happy! Last time I owned a bug was in the late 70s early 80's.

I want to put a radio in the glove compartment. I have read the forums but have questions.
1Very Happyo the Front speaker kick panels sold by jbugs work well? Do they get in the way of your feet or does it just look plain goofy with lumps under the carpeting with speakers attached?

2: Will it get in the way of the parcel tray I want to install?

3: There are a bunch of glove box replacements that are built to fit a radio. Anyone have opinion on which is best?

4: If I get a decent radio with bluetooth, does the bluetooth signal work if the glove box door is closed?

Thanks for your help!

Steve
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57 bagged custom restoration has photos of the j bugs kick panels partially installed and finished

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=574426[/img]

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
bladerunner80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, I recently did this in my 66. Here is a photo of my completed install:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had to create my own custom mount since I was installing a pop-out lcd deck. I purchased an aftermarket glovebox from EMPI, but it didn't fit, so I took it back and hacked up my original paper board one.

Regarding your questions:

1) I bought my kick panels from glass action or vw innovations (I think they changed their name). They fit pretty nice and I mount 6 1/2 " components in them. They don't seem that bad as far as interfering with the foot well space.
2) Don' know the answer to this one.
3) Don't but the EMPI, maybe check VW innovations?
4) Shouldn't be a problem. I'm running an ipod cable for mine that will be hidden in the ash tray.

Hope that helps!
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great install....don't forget to ground the radio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JBugs panels fit well.
I have installed 3 of the empi glove box units and they all worked well. The nice thing is you still have a "useable" glovebox. It probably wouldn't work with a pop out radio like bladerunner's but works just fine for a standard single din radio.
The Bluetooth will work.
I installed a repeater for the remote with the receiving end hidden behind the fuel gauge grill (can't be seen) that way I don't have to keep opening the glovebox to adjust radio.
Steve Newman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies... I installed the stereo in the glove compartment and it looks great!

Next problem- the new stereo sticks out further into the trunk so the trunk liner that covers to back of the dashboard doesn't fit anymore. I looked on mid america motorworks and didnt see a modified trunk liner. Do I need to modify the truck liner or how do you deal with this?

Thanks
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do. But depending on the depth needed, you may be able to alter the basic ABS plastic wiring cover and make it fit. The area you need to clearance is on the flat portion- so If you take your time with a square wood block exactly where you need clear the stereo, you can use a heat gun and stretch the plastic a little. It is very thin- so it won't stretch more than a 1/2 inch or so- but depending on the radio you buy- it might be enough.

The kick panels work really well- I have them in a '71. Sonically, not good, but fit and finish wise- just fine.

Don't ignore the many good threads out there already- search them. Sometimes the best advice was typed a year ago, and the experts get tired of repeating themselves.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bladerunner80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a plastic repop wiring cover then cut a hole out out it. To make it look nice, I fabbed up a cardboard structure then used fiberglass to make it strong. To make all the textures match, I bought a can of herculiner and painted it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: