Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Classic VW Bugs - [email protected]
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: cvallone
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: April 18, 2024
sharkinfested
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

A little over a month ago I bought a 1970 Standard Beetle from Chris Vallone off of eBay.

I couldn’t be happier with the experience. Is the car perfect? No – it’s a 39 year old vehicle, but it was just as Chris described. The parts he stated as new actually are new. The work done on the car is quality.

Chris and his father have been restoring bugs and selling them on eBay for 2 or 3 years now. They also post videos on YouTube giving tips on what to look for when buying a bug as well as tips on how to restore them. (Actually I first became aware of them from their YouTube videos) Their YouTube channel is called brighteyefilms. I would encourage you all to check them out. Oh, and their website is www.classicvwbugs.com where you can see some of the cars that they have done as well as being alerted to ones being offered.

We see so many negative posts on sellers and I wanted to post my positive experience. The Vallones are straight shooters and they deserve the recognition.

My 1970 Beetle
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sharkinfested
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurred to me that I used the photos of my car from the eBay ad – they are also on Chris’ website. That coupled with my glowing testimony might make some people suspicious – like I might be Chris posing as a satisfied customer.

I assure you I am NOT Chris but rather a truly happy customer. I used his photos because he is a better photographer than I am.

I just ran outside and snapped this photo of my baby
larryho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a set of pop out windows from Chris. Excellent communication and fast shipment with tracking number given.
Chris is a real nice guy that you would like to have dealings with. Wish I was able to purchase one of his cars esp the 56 Oval he just sold.
I am sure we all enjoyed his 'How Tos' videos. I certainly did and will pass them to my buddies. Thanks Chris.
Wish you the best and may your dreams come true. Don't forget this guy. Wink
Larry
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known Chris for many years now. He's a stand up guy that truly cares about keeping these old cars on the road. You can't go wrong if you choose to do business with him. His restoration work is top notch.
aircooledartifacts.com

Follow our restoration work on Instagram.
Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the comments, much appreciated, I value my peeps!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the insulation tar boards kit from Chris. Very happy with it. Smile Its a lot better from the ones available from on-line vendors. I already installed it on my 76 sedan. For more info & photos check out my gallery photos. Green Bug

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cavscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Missing parts Reply with quote

I have one car being restored by Vallone and I will save that review for another time. He had another one of my cars which I had shipped back to my home a couple of weeks ago. Some parts were missing but after a thorough search, he found them and I will be picking them up soon.
So far the other car looks great in the pictures he has sent. More to follow on the review about that car.
79 vert
2010 VW CC Turbo

Last edited by cavscout on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing parts Reply with quote

cavscout wrote:
I have one car being restored by Vallone and I will save that review for another time. He had another one of my cars which I had shipped back to my home a couple of weeks ago.
I emailed him , as he will rarely make phone calls, and he claimed all my parts were there. I have pictures of the missing parts such as fenders, bumpers, hubcaps, the radio, brand new tires, and more which he says he doesn't have. I have pictures of the items when it was shipped and other pictures I took when I visited him almost two years ago when this beetle first arrived at his garage. I will follow up and post more about this incident and others in our almost 3 year struggle to spend $ and get a nice VW. I have many emails over the last couple of years and will gladly share them so all can see how I have been dealt with. I will soon be contacting Rockland Lake police department. Maybe he will have found my parts in the last couple of days and this can be forgotten. In that case, I will post that too.
I have purchased parts from all over the world and I have not had many problems. This purchase from Vallone has not been one of those.

Ok, I see Barry, this is the way you want to go, Pops and I can play along too.

Lets be upfront and honest with each other here and to thesamba VW community.

Many of you folks know me and my dad and know the quality of work that we do. www.ClassicVWbugs.com.

Barry, I take pride in my business, I do not appreciate your attitude towards me and my fathers work. You fail to comprehend all the time and effort we have put into this project to make it a museum piece, (which you never signed up for). Shortcuts could have been taken but were not. There are hundreds of pictures to back up my work, and no one will argue this. And no worries, we have plenty of emails, receipts, and docs to back all this up too. We have what you have + more.

To the folks reading this thread, you can see the work we have been doing to Barry's cars here www.classicvwbugs.com/Barrys56/

Barry has been getting a concourse body off restoration for this 1957 Oval window Ragtop that I had to purchase for him to replace his previous bug he sent us. His bug was pretty bad body wise and would have went way way over his budget. You can see the first car in the pic gallery, scroll all the way to the bottom.

www.classicvwbugs.com/Barrys56/

Working your way to picture 267 will show the 2nd beetle we found in much better shape. The first oval was not good, you don't realize how bad it really is till you start peeling away the layers. We media blast.

So I purchased the 2nd beetle for him which is now painted. =o) Awesome Agave Green.

SO YES this has been almost a 3 year project, and it will most likely be 3 years when all is said and done. Barry came in almost three years ago wanting a "body on" restoration that was more of a high end show quality driver bug, and it had to be an oval rag to boot. He did not sign up for concourse here, budget was between 28-35k. I do not even start in this range anymore for body on restorations. He was told at the time of contract there was a TWO year wait list. To date we are about a three year wait with projects, super busy.

This is not the first time Barry has made these threats toward me and my business, it has been going on for a good year now.

Barry, your connotations, accusations, and threats of: "I'm going to go to my lawyer if..." "I'm going to file a report if..." "I'm going to call the police if..." "I have to put three kids through college, money is tight..." Yadda yadda yadda", are wearing rather thin.

Apparently you think I am not leveling with you, you are not satisfied, and your finances are tight. So let's do this, in a spirit of honesty and compromise, pay me for the car, and come pick it up.

I have gone well over and above, for you. Certainly, over and above what was discussed in any contract we have. I have flexed the contract to satisfy your interests. I could have still stayed in your budget even after the 2nd car, but you needed German square weave carpet, okrasa dual carb motor build, white walls, canvas top, cloth headliner, hidden stitch hand sewn seat upholstery and door panels. SO naturally this had to increase the budget a bit.

Folks, we are at a point in this resto, that the paint work is flawless on this '57, it is concourse all the way, something that would cost a client 50K-60K when the car is finished.

But Barry seems to be unsatisfied of our work or with our performance and how I have crunched the numbers to accommodate him and stay in budget range.

So he can pay me for the car, come get it, and have someone else finish it if he likes. Take it the way it is now, we will terminate the contract, and we can move on, it is that simple.

Apparently Barry is having a tough time with the capping of $41,000 and change we are charging him for this project which includes;

2 Beetles we worked on, both body off restorations down to bare metal, new floor pans, new heater channels, I even purchased his 2nd beetle (the 57) out of my own pocket which totaled 6k in cash, (because I felt bad through all of this) sheet metal parts, materials, all the other stuff I said above etc etc. All for 41k!

So if he is going to sit here, write a thread on thesamba, and squabble about some of the used parts he is missing on the first car that was returned to him? This is petty at best. Folks we have most of these used parts, and since this has been going on for the past 2.5 years and we are working on 16 different projects right now, things can get lost, I apologize for that.

Most of the parts that came in that first car was junk, not salvageable. Nothing is stated in my contract that I keep junk, and Barry never made amendments in the contract to save certain parts. His list of parts maybe adds up to a few hundred bucks. I have some replacements if need be. But to come out of the gate and threaten to call the police is absurd. I can call a good cop if you like? My Dad, retired NYPD.

Lets be realistic...

If I totaled up my labor hours and money spent today that I have in on the 1st beetle, searching for the 2nd beetle, road trips, buying parts, buying the 2nd beetle, paying my painter, etc etc, it would be close to 40k now before even assembly.

Barry has paid a little more than half of the final budget.

I like our beetles to looks flawless, I did not have to do floor pans, but I it did anyway. I could have patched the heater channels, but I didn't, I cut them out and put in new. I could have left this car on the chassis and bondoed the the hell out of it. But hell no, I would never do that!

We even meet him out near his hometown, 2-3 hours drive from our shop so he did not have to "spend money" to ship a few motor parts in the mail.

I went out of my way to satisfy this client and give him a museum piece beetle which I was never supposed to do to begin with.

So, by the end of this long verbal thread, Barry pay me for the '57 I purchased for you and come get your car, and I will make sure you have your parts returned.

Respectfully,

Chris Vallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fcn90803
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve known Chris for a while and found him through all the great content he puts on YouTube. When I started looking for a Bug, his videos helped me appreciate the changes through the years and to understand critical areas to look at to make sure I was getting a solid car. He’s a wealth of knowledge and helped me figure out exactly what I wanted and he was always responsive even when I was finding Bugs on my own and he wasn’t getting anything for helping me (well, other than a thank you).

Before I bought my ’53 Oval, Chris showed me a couple options of cars he was “flipping” versus restoring. They were all solid cars and he pointed out any minor imperfections, gave me a rundown of what he knew about their histories, etc. It was no pressure, he was forthcoming and wanted to make sure if I bought a car from him, I knew exactly what I was getting and would be happy.

Chris and his dad are solid guys. Their restorations are works of art and they ensure the cars are perfect and probably better than when they rolled off the line in Germany. At the shop, I’ve seen cars down to the bare metal with lots of welding done to them, I’ve seen them fresh from the painter, I saw his 54 rag just before the body and pan were rejoined and I’ve seen that one and many others complete (including the amazing ‘52 Zwitter he recently sold). It’s impressive every time and his Bugs make me drool!

I’ve seen a couple restorations from earlier in his career and they still gleam and show great.

Keep up the good work guys. One of these days my ’53 Oval will be in your shop for its restoration.
cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

Bought a 1962 Beryl Green Beetle

Link

Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

I just got my Savannah Beige '67 Sedan that Chris restored about three years ago and then sold. That owner decided to sell it, and I was on Chris's list at the right time. The car is stunning and Chris's and his dad's workmanship, helpfulness, and friendliness are first-class. The PO put almost no miles on the car, but it's nicely broken-in. My Granddaughter and I drove it home from Classic VW Bugs yesterday, about 160 miles mostly on the Garden State Parkway, without a single issue.

While I was waiting for the car to be shipped from Kansas, a repainting of the wheels to the correct two-tone color, and a general going-over at Chris's shop, I mentioned to a couple people that the car was one of Chris's restorations. Without hesitation the responses were that his restoration work is outstanding and "If you have a car from Chris, it surely is a prized possession." I agree completely.

The only downside is, I wish Classic VW Bugs wasn't so far from me; it will be difficult to make his monthly Dubs and Coffee get-togethers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

I wonder if this is the same 52 mentioned above

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWdPd2FntsJ/

$70K is a lot of money for a vin chopped franken bug
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
I wonder if this is the same 52 mentioned above

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWdPd2FntsJ/

$70K is a lot of money for a vin chopped franken bug

He pulled a 52 zwitter without a sunroof out of Minneapolis in 2013 or so. I think this fake zwitter his shop "restored" is a different one, although I suppose it's possible they are related.

I think the one from here (MN) was supposedly in nice shape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

This news posted January 12, 2011

News again! This 1954 Bug we worked on was one of our Build-A-BuG projects at the time. We found something real special in this car when we were stripping it down, something we have never found before.

Link

And here is the follow up email from the news in TX.

Link

cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

This book 101freemarketing.com by Jim Cockrum was recently released and it has hit the tops of the charts at Amazon & Barnes and Noble. Jim has been my mentor for a few years now, and many of the tips he preaches has helped me build my biz to where it is now. I was mentioned in his book as a entrepreneurial example on pages 87 and 88 of the book, really cool, I have never been in a book before.

You can see what was written about me HERE https://www.jimcockrum.com/blog/2010/09/16/success...-fan-base/

Basically what is on that page is in the book. I have just started reading the book and I am only on page TEN, but my mind is already flurrying with creative ideas to expand my lil BuG Biz. I recommend the book wholeheartedly.[/img]
cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

The FOX NEWS bit finally aired! I got the video right here. Amazing, they came and shot video for like 3 hours, and I am on in a blink of an eye, haha. No worries, still pretty cool, take a peek below.

They will be airing a separate segment next week on our shop, so stay tuned.

Link

cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

Well Take 2 Is OUT! This was the piece that we didn't expect, the full two minutes just on our SHOP and BiZ. I couldn't ask for anything more. We hit the front page of <a title="foxnews" href="http://www.FOXNEWS.com" target="_blank" rel="noopener">www.FOXNEWS.com</a> on this date 2/20/2012. The emails and phone calls have not stopped since.

Take a peek at the video below.

Link

cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

I get asked numerous times, “How the Hell did you start ClassicVWbugs.com?

I would say it definitely is a unique biz, a niche biz. This is a Hobby I turned into a business. I did not want to work for anyone, I wanted to be my own boss, and I knew in today’s day, if you have a phone and an internet connection, you can start a business TOMORROW! You just need to have the creative edge.

I found two telephone interviews of me online recently that I forgot existed. These are download/podcast type audio interviews that you can enjoy at anytime. If you are interested in being your own boss, an entrepreneur? These interviews might give ya a nice boost. =o)

This is how I started in a one car garage, to now a 2000sq ft facility, to being showcased on FOXNEWS, USA Today, Magazine Features, and doing a ’56 Beetle for Jerry Seinfeld. We started local, now we are global with close to a 3 year wait list to build beetles for clients.

Recently interviewed on a new site that just launched called “Small Business Stories.”

Small Business Stories is a podcast site where business owners share how they got started, overcame challenges, and found success. They also share helpful tips and insights.

Leland Faux is the creator of this new site, he came across our lil bug site here and thought we would be a great kick off to his new website as an inspirational biz story.

We also talk about how I built a Beetle for Jerry Seinfeld .

You can listen to the interview by clicking HERE.
cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

This is a Q&A Interview that I did answering my BuD and Pal Eric Shoemaker 1967Beetle.com

Link

Happy 2015, Chris. Tell us where you are currently in your business.
The business is doing extremely well. 2014 was a banner year for us, the best year since we started 8 years ago working from a one car garage. We are involved in 16 clientele projects right now and are at a 2.5-3 year wait list to build.

How has your business grown over the years?
We have grown to a global following. We just passed the 5 million views mark on YouTube, and the Website Sports, about 2-3 million hits a month. I still answer about 2-4 hours of fan mail everyday. Web 2.0 and Social Networking has been great to us.

How has the business changed?
Well like everything, you get better with age! You learn the ins and outs and all the nooks and crannies of the VW Beetle. You know what makes them tick, and how better to put them together. Our intricate level of detail keeps getting better and better. Each Bug I do is better restored than the last. You just keep living it, learning it, and getting better at it. It shows in our work, and, as time goes on, more and more people are interested in having us to restore a Bug for them. I also learned how to pace and log my time. Time is money, so you learn how to estimate how long jobs are going to be, whether it is an interior or a motor build. I have become an even better business man through these years.

How many projects are you currently working on?
We presently have 16 projects–half are Build-A-BuG, the other half is Find-A-BuG.

So… you still are doing the Build-A-BuG Program?
Yes, we still are on Build-A-BuG, but we have removed the “driver quality” restorations. We do only High End Show-piece/Museum-quality Bugs.

Tell us about the Find-A-BuG Program.
Find-A-BuG is where I find a somewhat already restored Beetle for a client. This is for a client who either can’t afford a Build-A-BuG, or who does not want to wait the 2-3 years to have one restored. We find a car that already is painted, but which needs to be assembled or even fully restored. We take it into the shop, make the changes that are required for the customer, if they want any changes. We fully inspect the car and make it roadworthy and turnkey–without any issues.

What’s your opinion of the vintage Volkswagen Beetle market?
The vintage VW market is going very well for the ’67 and earlier Beetles. I see them appreciating in value year-after-year at least 10%-15%. They are a great investment–you will not lose money. They go only up, not down. The ’68 and later Beetles are doing ok too, but have slower appreciation.

What are your long-term business goals?
Ha! Move out of New York, maybe, and find a place in the South and pump out more rare vintage VW rides. The more rare they become, the more drive I have to hunt, find, and restore that baby for the road.

Anyone you’d like to thank or mention?
Well…I have to thank my Pops for traveling with me down this amazing and joyous road of restoring the vintage VW Beetle. My fam, of course, for supporting me through this journey. Nothing can beat the number of incredible people we have met along the way. My good friend, “Lucky Larry”, who worked for VW back in the ‘60s and ‘70s, and my amazing historian and VW friend, Vince Vespe, who has been the sole owner of a 1965 Karmann Ghia Convertible.

Also, I want to mention Herman, who was a VW Tech for over 35 years. Herman actually builds my motors on a regular basis now. He is an encyclopedia of VW and automotive knowledge. And of course, YOU, Eric Shoemaker. We are two artists working the VW Scene and helping each other.
cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Classic VW Bugs - [email protected] Reply with quote

I was interviewed by Mark Greene, founder of a Car Enthusiasts website called CarsYeah.com

This interview is now in podcast. You can listen to this audio interview HERE ===> http://carsyeah.com/ourportfolio/714-chris-vallone/

*BUT.... I am now producing this interview into a visual presentation of my story in multiple parts as you can see on YouTube or here on my website.*

Call it the Classic VW BuGs Mini Story Documentary!

Mark has a very cool website interviewing many famous people in the cars industry. People like Wayne Carini from (Chasing Classic Cars), Mike Brewer from (Whealer Dealers), Dave Kindig from (Bitchin Rides), and Adam Corolla just to name a few. Very cool website for anyone into cars, I was honored to be asked to join Mark on a chat.

We go through my humble beginnings when I was just an artist working on beetles as a hobby right out of college, all the way through today and where we are now. I hope you enjoy it.

This is a Multi-Part Series! Please Subscribe.

PART 1!

Link

PART 2!

Link

Part 3!

Link

Part 4!

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: