Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40hp produces little power at wide open throttle
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: 40hp produces little power at wide open throttle Reply with quote

Hi all, about 6 years ago, I purchased a 1958 VW panel from a certain thesamba user (whose name I will gladly inform you of you direct message me, as he is still "building" and selling these "excellent" vehicles) (skip to bottom if reading is not your forte) who did an "outstanding" job "building" this bus. It was found in Arkansas and he put in an IRS, lowered it, claimed to have put a ball joint front end in it (he lied, by the way), put a "good" motor in it, and "rewired" it. I received the bus on a trailer about 5 years ago, where upon attempting to start it, was greeted with absolutely nothing. After some investigation, I noticed that the filter was full of sediment and pulled the tank shortly thereafter. The tank was about half full of dirt and gravel. I did the shake with clean gravel method for about 7 hours and still poured sediment out. I sent it to a gas tank shop to have it cleaned, and reinstalled the tank. After it was hooked up, the bus now started. I quickly took it out for a quick drive and noticed at full throttle, the bus would do about 35 in fourth, not under load or anything. It wasn't loud or screaming either. I sent it to a friend and about $1500 and 30-40 hours of labor later, I had a decently set- up 58- panel. It was now correctly rewired after the previous owner's "great" wiring job and I put on some correct part that were supposedly installed but weren't. Now to the present- I have the engine on the bench and have long since replaced that engine and the bus drives great. I was looking at it and noticed the arm that is on the side of the carb (pict-28-1) pump is hitting the side of the "correctly" installed alternator. I am wondering if this could be the issue to this long and troubled tale. Also, what header would you recommend for this engine to put a stinger on it? Thanks so much, James
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp produces little power at wide open throttle Reply with quote

vwbusman66 wrote:
I was looking at it and noticed the arm that is on the side of the carb (pict-28-1) pump is hitting the side of the "correctly" installed alternator. I am wondering if this could be the issue to this long and troubled tale.

Possibly, if it is preventing the throttle arm on the left side from full travel downward.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp produces little power at wide open throttle Reply with quote

vwbusman66 wrote:
Also, what header would you recommend for this engine to put a stinger on it?

i wont recommend any header to run a stinger on an otherwise stock engine. now if you wanted to run a single quiet pack muffler or similar, i can recommend header systems.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have an aluminum spacer between the carb & intake manifold that might do the trick
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, as predicted the general consensus says that I am in need of the spacer used with alternator conversions. Thanks guys, James
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what carb will fit this as I need one with an arm on it for throttle return. Thanks, James
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp produces little power at wide open throttle Reply with quote

vwbusman66 wrote:
I have the engine on the bench... I was looking at it and noticed the arm that is on the side of the carb (pict-28-1) pump is hitting... alternator. I am wondering if this could be the issue..

Pull the throttle all the way. Is it perpendicular (almost) to the closed position? If so, the engine would still have gone up to horspower and speed as the accelerator pump is just to get gas jizz in-between jet circuit flow.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbusman66 wrote:
Also, what carb will fit this as I need one with an arm on it for throttle return. Thanks, James

The 28, 30 and 31 series carbs all use the same sized flange so will all fit on that manifold...28PCI, 28PICT, 30PICT/1,/2,/3 31PICT/3 (Euro/Aus 71+ 1300s) and H30/31 (modern replacement carb for the 30 and 31 series).

They would probably all need to sit on a spacer to clear the alternator.

If you mean an arm for a return spring, the H30/31 and 31PICT/3 for sure. Never saw the 30PICT/3 here in Aus, but the 30 series carbs all do have a return spring mounted on the carb.

All will work on a 1200 with suitable jetting, though the H30/31 might be considered a little on the large side (25.5mm throat). The 30s have a 24mm throat and the 28s have a 22.5mm throat.

Hope that helps
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 28 PICT's and the early 30 PICT 1's had the return spring on the cable. The later 30 PICT 1's the 30 PICT 2 and 3 have the arm on the carburetor.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: