Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tranny coolers
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhoffer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: tranny coolers Reply with quote

Has anyone used the 80$ tranny coolers from AutoZone?
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But seriously...

Do you know what brand it is? I'm running a B&M oil cooler, they make several sizes of them.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhoffer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russel, spectra, torqflow are a few they carry. Im not hung up on AutoZone, but i didnt know if it were necessary to spend 300 for a gowesty cooler. Not sure if its true, but i had seen somewhere that early vanagon and jettas with same transaxles didnt use a cooler.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 010 Automatics that did not come with coolers/exchangers in early years in both VW and Audis. Unless I lived in a really cool climate, I would not delete a transmission cooler. No experience with aftermarket coolers.
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is you don't have to spend $300 on a gowesty unit. I made up my own and included a spin on transmission filter for less than $200. It just takes some research and fabrication.
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts after reading the amassed opinions and other technical info was that it was included to protect the transmission from the heavy load from the weight and expected use of the vehicle.

My argument (to myself) for deleting the original unit was to remove the opportunity for a failure in that system.

I added another cooling option as I have a heavily loaded Westy driving distances and challenging roads sometimes, clearly some engineer felt extra cooling was needed, and what can it hurt to have an ATF cooler?

The GW unit is expensive, others are available that use the same basic idea. Terry Kay sells probably the most low tech option, basicly a scoop that mounts on the bottom

One recent one that I find interesting.

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/1-automatic-transmission-heat-sink/#.VFOdpPnF98E

others have built their own its not hard.

in the end deleting it may be the best option as it removes another point of failure but then again it may shorten the life of the trans.

for what it is worth that is what I came to

up to you.

Cheers

Last edited by ursaworks on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geodude wrote:
The short answer is you don't have to spend $300 on a gowesty unit. I made up my own and included a spin on transmission filter for less than $200. It just takes some research and fabrication.

On one hand I understand this answer, beecause I also get a certain amount of satisfaction by doing things myself. On the other hand, a hundred bucks is not really a lot of savings when you factor in "research and fabrication" that you have to do yourself.

For me, this would be one item where it makes sense to buy a kit from one of the vendors and get it done fast with a tried and proven system.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As crazy as the "Low Tech" cooler option I make, the crazy gizmo works, and my 87 Westy was the test unit.

The darn thing on a long highway ride in the summer at 70-75 mph would turn the ATF dark, & I could smell it was burnt.

Next ride I was going on I made up the scoop , hung it on the pan, loaded up with fresh Ford type F & a filter, 1100 miles down to Ky. & back, all was good--no burnt stinky fluid.

Go figure.

A guy does not have to blow 300 bucks to get the trans operating temp levels down.

The free air & the scoop work well & beyond my expectations.

For $30.00-- and some Type F --what the hay--
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
On one hand I understand this answer, because I also get a certain amount of satisfaction by doing things myself. On the other hand, a hundred bucks is not really a lot of savings when you factor in "research and fabrication" that you have to do yourself.

To give an idea of the potential cost, I spent $120 just on AN fittings and hoses for a cooler my dad gave me (leftover racing cooler that was never used):

There are a couple of good A/T cooler topics that list what fittings you need and such. Make up a shopping list, do a price comparison, and see how much you'll actually save.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not 100% sure, but if you delete the cooler, you might have to add a loop in and out. I don't know if all the flow is through the cooler or it is parallel.

The factory exchanger actually does two things. It will get the transmission to temp quicker in cold climates and remove heat from the transmission via the cooling system.

If I were running an external cooler like pictured above, I think some sort of thermostat would be preferable in cold climates. And in case all the flow is through the cooler, I'd want to keep the hose lengths down so that you aren't running the transmission on startup waiting for pressure to come up as the lines and cooler fill.

For sure when the stock one fails internally it makes a huge mess. Yuck.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the cooler & lines are primed & full of ATF, why would they empty out?
They wouldn't.
So the fear of running with no or low trans fluid is real low.
Once primed, always full.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
rsxsr wrote:
And in case all the flow is through the cooler, I'd want to keep the hose lengths down so that you aren't running the transmission on startup waiting for pressure to come up as the lines and cooler fill.

Once the cooler & lines are primed & full of ATF, why would they empty out?
They wouldn't.
So the fear of running with no or low trans fluid is real low.
Once primed, always full.

What TK said. I had to add a bit of ATF after the cooler was installed. I've checked it twice now, and the level is still good. In removing the old, original cooler, I'm now driving my van without worrying about ATF getting contaminated with coolant and destroying the trans.

rsxsr wrote:
The factory exchanger actually does two things. It will get the transmission to temp quicker in cold climates and remove heat from the transmission via the cooling system.

The link provided earlier says (and my mechanic dad asked the same question FAS asks):

Quote:
20 Years ago we asked the question: “Why would anyone design a factory cooler using antifreeze running at a higher operating temperature than the fluid it is attempting to cool (ATF)?”- makes no sense. We’ve heard all the answers and arguments.

The most common:

1. It helps the transmission fluid warm up to operating temperature faster- not true. They start off at close to the same temperature, with the tranny heating up much faster to start off. Even if it were the case, it should have been thermostatically controlled to kick off after operating temperature is achieved.

2. It keeps the transmission fluid at a lower more constant temperature - also, not true. Try mounting a temperature gauge on an earlier Bay Window automatic transmission. They constantly run 15-20 degrees cooler than their WBX counterpart without any cooler at all.

The bottom line is that the factory cooler is, and always has been, a completely flawed design.
http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/1-automatic-transmission-heat-sink/#.VFPucGcSFdd

As far as "getting up to temp" on a cold start, even in Phoenix I don't start any of my VWs and immediately drive off. I let them get their juices flowing for a minute or two first. Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

This is the same cooler I am using for the engine oil, got it from Summit Racing; good plate-style unit.

Frozenboost.com also has a large array of oil coolers for just about any application, I've purchased most of my intake & intercooler components from them, great company.

http://www.frozenboost.com/water-to-air-heat-exchanger/?osCsid=10551c9d0df83c76c9e210c30010b528

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw see this in classifieds

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1678631
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: