Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All-Syncro Off-road Class with Bill Burke ~ August 2015
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Well I have 10 months to figure it out! Berliner Busfest is the next week so that doesn't overlap Very Happy I'll see what I can do though. I was planning on maybe picking up a single cab while over there and driving all around Smile But I could change it up, we also have to spend some time in her hometown in Saxony! We'll see when time gets closer.

Let us know when deposits are due.

Deposits are due by the end of next month. Please remember though...its first come first served.....if we stick with 5 vans, that leaves room for just 3 more spots. Smile. And the earlier you commit and make your deposit...the earlier you can choose your gift from ARB Smile

Myself, I would take the recovery strap.

Hans, I really hope you and Chris can attend!!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Merian wrote:
But what I'd really like to know is what driving techniques differ on a Syncro from other 4wd vehicles.

I suggest you read this thread, and post any follow up questions there:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498427

I've read it. The question is about driving techniques.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested but paying over $1k is a deal breaker for me.
Let me know if the syncro count gets to that price point.
I already have a winch and recovery equipment so that isn't important to me but getting a education from Bill Burke would be great.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I already have a winch and recovery equipment so that isn't important to me but getting a education from Bill Burke would be great.

Very tempting as I was already scheming a GTG in CO this coming summer so I can experience the area SyncroStyle, but, like Mario, a bit too rich for my blood. Hope to learn some of the skills by transference from those who attend. I will likely be driving my van out and flying home for a week, then flying back to maximize my CO time.
I am going to project my work schedule out though, and see if the dates fall within my time off. This seems like a really cool class and I can always use some pointers. Its not so much the money, more the time......and the money Smile
Thanks for getting this organized Bob!
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
Merian wrote:
But what I'd really like to know is what driving techniques differ on a Syncro from other 4wd vehicles.

I suggest you read this thread, and post any follow up questions there:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498427

I've read it. The question is about driving techniques.

Merian...
If you are referring to the term driving techniques I used in the original post...maybe it will help if you substitute the word "techniques" for "strategies"????

I was simply referring to how one might approach, in their professional opinion, different terrain, differently. It is not about the specific vehicle, per se, but about how to drive the vehicle, given the different types of terrain, differently. So more like a strategy. Since our vehicles are not the same as other vehicles I would be interested in knowing how I could drive them better.

Hope that answered your question??? Smile
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

Sorry about the price tag...if it's any conciliation....I only need the first half before the end of next month and the rest one month prior to the class????
I tried to get some stuff to offset the price...
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vehicle and Driver Info:
1. Pickup, Tin Top, or Camper?
2. Tire Diameter?
3. Ground Clearance?
4. Ride Height (fender lip to wheel center)?
5. Motor Horsepower and Torque?
6. VC or Solid shaft?
7. Front locker, yes, no?
8. 930 Axles, yes, no?
9. Stock or upgraded skidplate?
10. Driver offroad experience, more than 10, 100, or 500, hours.
11. (edit to add) What ring and pinion do your have?
Recommended Reading:
Articles by Bill Burke
http://bb4wa.com/articles/

Selected Videos
Interview with Bill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AK_j8N5fY&index=50&list=UUXUAu6aO3YBgJKJDOR_Dz0w

spotting hand signals,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWW-5UV5itU&list=UUXUAu6aO3YBgJKJDOR_Dz0w&index=15

Hell's Revenge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZJPAm5Cn6A&index=32&list=UUXUAu6aO3YBgJKJDOR_Dz0w

Selected Quotes:
"were having a good time"
"Ill tell you that"
"pretty straight forward"
"you can see"
"its not sissy stuff"
"you know"
"there you have it"
"catch ya later"

Extra Credit Question:
Why does Bill wear a bandana?

Last edited by Jon_slider on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very likely I would attend (with a family of 4), but I am very interested in what trails the route will be comprised of.

I am always seeking Syncro-appropriate trails for our travels around the state (I live in the Boulder area)

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
How is driving a Syncro on a logging road different from driving other 4wd vehicles?

On a logging road with no serious obstacles, there is obviously no difference (kind of seems like a facetious question). But when obstacles are encountered, different vehicles will require different techniques/strategies to get over/around/through them as efficiently. There are so may different variables here. Tires, ground clearance, overhang, engine power, transmission type, level of body protection, etc. all play a role. If all of the vehicles participating are of a similar design, those variables are reduced and the training becomes more tailored for the specific vehicle. The same would be true for an all short wheelbase Jeep class or an all Toyota Tacoma class.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx. Not facetious. The pic showed a logging road. Logging roads vary greatly - from an easy transit to skidder only.
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4BNB wrote:
Merian....we did mostly off season snow mobile trails....they were filled with sharp lava rocks, tight quarters, and hilly Smile.

There u go....

danbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish I could swing this. My current Syncro is in no shape for a road trip. I'm shopping for a syncro camper right now but since I can't guarantee when or if I'll have something suitable it's a no go. If there were something like this closer to home and I had an appropriate van in my stable I'd be very interested.
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Extra Credit Question:

Cause he's a love child of the sixties?

Danbar...fantastic pics in your link there!

I can certainly plan one for the PNW. Maybe even next year. I mean, if there is a strong interest. But, I need to see if I can get this one off the ground Smile

4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farfrumwork wrote:
Not very likely I would attend (with a family of 4), but I am very interested in what trails the route will be comprised of.

I am always seeking Syncro-appropriate trails for our travels around the state (I live in the Boulder area)

I asked Bill about sharing the routes we may take for the class. Although he cannot control it, he prefers that you don't. He spends ALOT of time scouting before the class because trail conditions can change. So he has a lot of time/money invested. That's one reason why the fee is what it is.
Also, there is the crowd factor. The more people that know about the trails he uses the more people will flock and that increases the chance of damage and over use.
He did say that if you choose to share, he understands. But, he hopes that you will, keep the routes to within your club.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering what I charge for bodywork and the frequency at which vans get banged up offroad....the price of admission is a drop in the bucket and may actually save those that attend quite a bit of cash.

No issues here with someone who knows what they are talking about, charging for services.

Now if we could get Derek Drew to teach a course, I'm in.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will gladly give you a deposit for a PNW class. How are the meals being handled, pot luck or take care of yourself? Is this suitable for a man women and 8 yr old child that loves syncros?

The bandanna? "Not sure", it's said Jimmy Hendrix used his as a storage turnicate of some type. In Bill's case, I think it follows suit of a time that was dear to him or as every generation comes a new "Never leave home with out it" IE. pocket knife, $5 in your shoe, lighter, survivor bracelet, proflactive, cell phone............bandanna
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: All-Syncro Off-road Class with Bill Burke ~ August 2015 Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
The question is about driving techniques.

The question is too vague, and you are hijacking the thread, instead of asking it over and over again, start another thread to explore your question. I already pointed you to one, and you came back here and ignored the opportunity.

One thing that IS different, if you watch the videos and read the links I gave, is that many modern 4wd vehicles are Automatics, which requires a technique called Left Foot Braking. This does not apply to manual transmissions. The Syncro always and only has a manual transaxle, there is NO left foot braking with a Syncro.

dillonkoester wrote:
Is this suitable for a man women and 8 yr old child that loves syncros?

the very first post in this thread says:
4x4BNB wrote:
Two people per van

so you would need to ask Bill for an exception.

4x4BNB wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
Extra Credit Question:

Cause he's a love child of the sixties?

True, and good answer, there is also another reason

dillonkoester wrote:
In Bill's case, I think it follows suit of a time that was dear to him or as every generation comes a new "Never leave home with out it" IE. pocket knife, $5 in your shoe, lighter, survivor bracelet, proflactive, cell phone............bandanna

Also true, also good, a bandana can be used to filter water, cool you down when its hot, staunch blood (thats a hint), blow your nose (yuck), help a damsel in distress, etc...

the answer I was looking for, is in one of his videos, that I can't find right now, Bill mentions that the bandana prevents him from bashing his head bloody on peoples bumpers and undercarriage when he's mucking around under there attaching recovery equipment Smile (And I hope someone will ask him, just to confirm)

I have one of these, it repels biting flies, and is very handy on hot days, soaked in water
http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/bugsaway-paisley-bandana-F13
"It repels mosquitoes (including those carrying West Nile virus and malaria), ticks, ants, flies, chiggers and midges (no-see-ums)"

Here is how FrankenSubySyncro deals with noseeums, he works for the Forest Service, and does not mess around
Here he is on the WABDR

Last edited by Jon_slider on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slider, do you have a monetary interest in this? I am wondering why you have gone to such lengths to suppress a simple question. You also attack me for "ignoring an opportunity" when I explicitly stated I read the thread. What is up with you, dude?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Syncros get heel and toed, so a bunch of statements above are not 100% accurate.
I have had discussions with many Syncro owners who use heel and toe techniques and left toe braking both on and off road.

I learned it many moons ago at Skip Barber.
Very informative experience.
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
slider, do you have a monetary interest in this? I am wondering why you have gone to such lengths to suppress a simple question. You also attack me for "ignoring an opportunity" when I explicitly stated I read the thread. What is up with you, dude?

Believe it or not...Jon is a very helpful guy. Why else would he go out of his way to find links for you to read if not to try and help? Jon literally wants to help....your question was a little vague...even to me...in my very limited experience. I don't believe he was trying to suppress your question...

Btw...was your question answered?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: