Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to tell if a transmission is usable with no motor?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuLX3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: How to tell if a transmission is usable with no motor? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have a friend that just picked up a buggy without a motor, and he is wondering about the condition of the transmission.

We know that the transmission was previously fine, and the engine was not pulled because of a faulty transmission, but just a wore out motor that never made it back in the buggy. However, the buggy has sat, basically unmoved and without a motor for probably 10 years until he got it now.

Currently, the transmission does not turn very easily with a pair of vise grips on the input shaft. The transmission also does not shift into 3rd or 4th gear. Maybe it will turn better when he gets something besides a pair of vice grips on it, but we're not sure if this is normal or not.

Any ideas on evaluating the condition of this transmission is greatly appreciated!
sloboatnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRS or swing axle? An IRS without axles and tires hooked up should shift and turn by hand as normal. At least that has been my experience. Sometimes the shifter gets a little stiff though. Might have to use visegrips to get it loose again.

3BT Baja build page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417564&highlight=3bt+baja
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would not hurt to change fluid in their either. that may help free it up 10 years of sitting can do some funky stuff.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to tell you if it is drivable, but at least you know you can shift into all your gears...

Link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
MalibuLX3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys, I"ll pass this along and I'm sure it will be helpful! If anyone has any addition information, please let me know and I'll pass that along as well.

Thanks!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is no way to test a transmission out of a car to see if it is "GOOD". You can have worn out syncros rings, operating sleeves, or bad bearings, and the transmission can still be shifted, and everything turns smoothly. It is not until you put a load (drive) with the transmission, that many of the gremlins will rear their ugly heads. That's when it will pop out of gear, the R&P howls, or you can not shift it at all.

ALL transmissions that I can not drive are considered parts transmissions and I will only pay what is considered a core price.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: