Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Washer fluid hose....
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Washer fluid hose.... Reply with quote

Hello all, I see the vendors sell washer fluid hose. Im not sure what its made of but could I use clear vinyl hose as well? I need to replace some of the old cracked hose and have a roll of the clear vinly hose that fits. Any thoughts? Thanks GreggK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyindutchman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that any old clear vinyl hose wouldn't work well. so I got some vw washer hose and it was cheap too. I didn't wanna waste my time experimenting
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do the right thing but didn't want to have to wait to order some. I hoped to get it done this weekend. Oh well, might just have to wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any proper washer fluid hose will be fine and available at any local parts store for cheap. I also used it to replace my vacuum lines. I wouldn't use clear vinyl as it tends to harden and if you don''t know what it is you don't know if it will stand up to the chemicals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out and got 5/32" ID washer hose. It looked like it was the same size as the original hose. I was still getting a leak with the new hose at the "T" right behind the brake booster, great spot to put that by the way.
It looks like the original hose is heated up or something at the ends and then there is some kind of sleeve over the connection points. Im thinking to take my heat gun and test to see if the new hose might seal up better with alittle heat. Or even some sealant. Maybe just try smaller diameter hose?
Ive already spent more time than I promised on this project today. Any thoughts? GreggK
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other suggestions?

Well, back in the old days with my 1960 Beetle with tire pressure operated squirters........ That didn't work.......

I'd simply tailgate a vehicle spewing forth rooster tails of spray for a second and turn on the wipers! Instant clean!!!

Or just drop by your FLAPS and pick up a length of 3/16" washer hose?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up replacing the "T" and tall the hose. Added some length to the run over to the passengers nozzle so the "T" isn't behind the booster anymore. No more leaks with all the new stuff. I even used some heat shrink tube over the joints because I have some around.
IoWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have to remove the dash to replace the hose, or is there another way to do it?
vincemalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: 1981 Vanagon washer fluid tank leak Reply with quote

Hi! Whenever I fill the washer fluid tank with liquids, it leaks and spills under the tank underneath the vehicle. Can anyone tell me what the probable cause is? Is there an easy way to remove the washer fluid tank to check on where the hole/leak come from? I'm in Montreal and winter has begun, I'm wondering if the freezing cause that and how it can be solved. Thanks!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cracked reservoir - there is a thread somewhere - maybe in the FAQ
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IoWesty, I happened to have my dash out during this project. I was just replacing the run from my reservoir to my "T" but when I got in there my "T" was directly behind my brake booster. So I decided to change the lengths to my nozzels to make the "T" more accessible with only having to remove the cluster for any future work. Im still working on my heater box and should have my new core this week, I was hoping Go-Westy would have got the dual nozzles back in stock by now so I could install them while I have everything out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: