Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frankin bug pictures and latest antics
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey TerryL

I am loving that bug of yours...the body work I love seeing guys leave it the way you did....gives it that rough and tumble look to it...

That roll cage is pretty darn nice too...Did you guys scratch build that cage? I wanna build a VW and put a cage in it...not sure if getting a kit cage is the way to go or not....

That thing has got a perfect stance too..

thanks for posting all the pics and the videos too....I am loving that Beetle for sure...

MikeC

P.S. I just got done (rebuilding) with a all stock 1947 Willys Jeep...I had to sell it...would NOT run over 45 mph....wanna build a VW...they will run way faster than any Willys would...a tad bit safer too I bet...Smile

Last edited by mikec4193 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I started with a empi 6point cage it's ok. Wouldn't do it again [To easy to bend] and had to add to it with the lift. As for the body work [if you can call it that] I started with a too gone 74 standard that was real rusted. replaced floor pans and heat channels any where body was rusty stiched in a panel or patch. Did not want it to be pretty as I new I would just be dragging it over rocks and trees

THANKS for the kind words mikec4193 I really appreciate it
TERRY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build! The dash is very sweet.
Which distributor is that?
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flashho ; Thanks for compliment I just love this thing. Most fun you can have with you'r boots on!!That distributer is a CB Magna spark digital. I went with that one because 1 it seems very easy to seal up from mud/water intrusion {I was right} 2 Has vaccume advance that works with any motor/cam combo {important to me for instances where you'r not at wide open throttle with good drivability}4 has adjustable timing curve for my motor or any combo.5adjustable rpm limiter{so I hopefully do not blow my stuff up wich I am very good at} 6 it's cool {is that a valid reason??}. Was out to forestry again on Saturday snowed hard and went on pretty challenging trail {did not get stuck or need pull or have to turn a wrench}YAHOO. Will try to get pics and video up later after breakfast with the outlaws.
Terry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK as promised latest bug pics/vids Here is a couple at the wash with my trail partner {I think at this stage in life he would rather sit in a bug than chase some flea bag horse up a trail}
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He does love going for rides.
on the trail stopped for leg stretch and dispose of morning coffee that's my daughter

CO PILOT after the ride was about 5 hours on trail

The jeep crowedDaughter Sylvia and future hubby Matt{there goes my month long august camping trip} Shocked
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brrrr....

Looks cold for such and early time of the fall season....is this the typical time frame when snow shows up???

MikeC
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually mikec4193 it has been unseasonably warm this year. Except for a early September snow storm that had really heavy wet snow and broke many branches on the leaved trees. Usually that type of snow is in spring when they have no leaves. AND THAT QUESTION mikec has impeccable timing as just last night I got a package from AWSOME POWERDERCOAT{THANKS CLARK}
New thermostat and bracket ,sled tins industrial shields and a venture ring. I want this Baja to heat up quickly and stay correct temperature {also looking into thermostatic aux oil cooler/fan to keep high load/ low rpm temperatures down}I also have a gas BN2 heater that I need to get running {paid a case of BEER for it} Hopefully these measures will keep Frankin bug running correct temp, keep me comfortable ,defrost window and extend the bajas usable operating window in Canada {we camp right into mid October and have seen it get to -20 Celsius Brrrr.... And for all the MUD/water I have some CB performance IDF sand seal carb hats and reverse manifolds on the way along with jet doctors and float vents. the plan is to snorkel the dual IDFs into a centrifugal air cleaner {like on a tractor} Should look pretty mean and cool while being a very effective means of controlling mud/water and dust intrusion into the 2180 motor. I have also rigged up a delay windshield wiper that gives a squirt of smurf juice wipes 3 times and then parks the wipers with one hit of the button. Very handy when sawing on the wheel, shifting gears, smoking,enjoying a road pop and enjoying the scenery Cool Cool It also has a removable windshield washer bottle {old small jerry can} so you can fill up at a creek if needed

Terry
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TerryL

I am really new at this old Beetle stuff but will all these new parts give you more cabin heat? The last VW I had was a 1971 back in 1979 and it was cold cold cold....froze all winter long in it...my dad used to talk about an aftermarket "gas" heater...still not sure how this worked...

Any insight would be awesome...

MikeC
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mikec4193 None of these mods will give me more cabin heat except for the gas heater. The industrial shields are because I don't have heater boxes. They as well as sled tins are so that new thermostat will function properly and open/close the thermostat flaps. This is so the engine will come up to operating temp quickly in the cool temperatures. right now I have to push motor pretty hard to come up to temp then when it cools right off if I quit pushing it These parts should hopefully regulate the engine temps. The venturi ring and oil cooler/fan are for warm temperatures when motor may get hotter than I would like while pushing it very hard doing like doing 130 kmh on the highway. {metric speed} Also when motor is under high load and low engine instances. Like being stuck in a big mud hole or climbing up a very long steep hill. In Alberta Canada we can get weather extremes from +35degrees C in summer to -35degrees C in winter. These temps happen every year. I just want to protect the engine and extend its useable time through the seasons. will add more to this conversation later have to run back to work for a couple hours. takecare
Terry
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there just wanted to share some more antics from this past weekend We went out on Saturday for about 6 hours was a beautiful day. Trail was rough but car worked very well .This Baja "frankinbug" amazes me. Incredibly capable machine with a very smooth and stable ride.In the video look how the jeep is bounced around and the angles it is at then note the steadiness of Frank.This is only the 3rd time I have had him out to the mountains Got hold of a go pro camera. did not have correct mount so just zip tied it to roll bar padding. seemed to work pretty good. need to learn when to turn off and on.There is a really good hill climb at end of 3rd clip. Had to kick the wife out before extracting myself from that pickle. Also some thing else to note is the size/ depth of the ruts and large rocks. These cameras do not do justice to the steepness of the terrain I should put a pitch and roll gauge in the cameras field of view. Anyways enough rambling enjoy
Terry

Link

Link

Link
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Terryly

I love those videos...thanks for sharing on here...So I can see this little bug will go any where a Jeep will do but how does it do out on the roadways?

I live in a very busy part of the country but I love the Baja bugs looks, will it keep up with traffic flow and have you ever had it out in like an interstate highway?

Thanks again for showing us how it is supposed to be done....looks like a ton of fun...

MikeC
BajaPete69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome videos. What are you using for your windshields squirter?
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again .... mikec4193 When first put new motor in tried to run it down to truck weigh scales to weigh it. started to run hot 195*-200*F at 115- 120 kmh Did not want to hurt new motor so slowed down and took it easy. It was pig rich and a warmer day. Could have been a combination of new motor[runs hotter]and bad tune[runs hotter] I don't know Threw some different jets in gauge says air/ fuel mixture is better and has more power/runs cooler Had it up to 130 kmh temps were ok but it was a little cooler out. The three times I have had it to the mountains I really have to push it hard to get temps into a normal range 170* We shall see when I put the new thermostat, sled tins and industrial shields on to bring it up and keep it at correct operating temp Will use oil cooler, venture ring and good tune to try and control high temps. WHAT A MOUTHFULL wish me luck

BajaPete69....I am using an old jerry can for a washer fluid bottle. idea is to unscrew fill cap unstrap can and be able to bring creek water to bug. pump is just some generic pump from big rig parts outlet [fleet brake] The real jem of the system is the wiper switch it is a 2 speed switch hi/low with a variable delay that parks the wiper blades with a stock vw wiper motor It also has a push to squirt/ wipe function so you can just push it and it will give a shot of fluid give 3or4 wipes and then park Its proving to be very handy for a green off road driver like me. I think I got the idea from Dale .The other jerry cans are so the Baja can pack some extra fuel behind motor home for itself and generator. Then when get to camp remove and store at camp 20 gal fuel cell +2- 5gal jerry cans=longtime extended stay fun with mobility and I can have instant campfire[liquid boy scout] gotta love multi tasking eh! Did ya check out the hill climb at the end of 3rd clip
Later guys keep the shiny side up
Terry
OH yea that wiper switch is a Cole Hearse product from big rig parts house

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: