Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bee-individual, Another german traveller named Gorm
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I'm located on the IL/Iowa border about 2 hrs west of Chicago in the Quad Cities along Interstate 80. Should you need anything feel free to PM me if needed. Have a driveway, warm food, beer, etc. My wife and I always enjoy guests. My mother is born and raised in the Schweinfurt/Wurzburg area and she to lives here in town and could make you a good home cooked meal. There is also a decent junkyard in Dixon IL called Battered Bugs. I'm sure Jeff the owner would have a place for you to park, stay overnight, and get a free beer. Safe travels, great community here on the Samba and many stateside always willing to help.
Bee-individual Gormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Boesen:

that sounds great. i don't know by now if i'm gonna make it there but if yes, i'll contact you. The junkyrd sounds nice too. its one of these famous vq-only junkyards?

@jako

i don't know if i'm gonna make it to your meeting. it's possible i think. its not too far north of chicago and i would perhaps come there directly. perhaps not at the first day, perhaps at the second? Would you give me the adress? you can write a pm! Thanks!

from Chicago i plan to go south into warmer regions:) I have a friend in Bloomington, Indiana, but he won't be there before the 14th. so i may perhaps visit Boesen and then return! we'll see!

I will post a new post on my fb-blog in a few minutes!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

high point state park, NJ[/img]
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you come south from Chicago, I'm in Champaign-Urbana (the intersection of I-74 and I-57). We got all the comforts of home (and a daughter who lives in Germany). feel free to pm or call 217-418-9744

Boesen - I grew up in Morrison... not too far ftom you.

Andrew Fell '75 Riviera: Big Emma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Be- Individual: Yes it is a VW only yard near Dixon. Like I said you are always welcome at our place.

@ Andrew: I've been to Morrison a few times to the State Park there. FAIRLY short drive and good short day trip for us from the Quad Cities. Same invitation for you if you make it near us.

Tschüss,
Shawn
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorm, I've sent 2 PM's to you but they don't show in my sent box.
Feel free to contact me anytime you come to Wisconsin.

Jack, 414 704-8153
72 Baja
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stoked for you. I'm am located in Southwest Colorado in Durango. If you find your way out this way feel free to PM me. I can set you up with great camping spots and I too have a nice driveway for camping if necessary. I have a garage full of tools and the local T1 mechanic is only 25 miles from my house. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask. Safe travels and keep the pics coming.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if you come through Colorado there are many helpful VW folk and good mountain driving/skiing. I am in Germany till March otherwise i would extend an invite (the irony), Schone reise!
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! Lot's of mid-west folks offering refuge, let's all get together! I'm an hour outside of Chicago. Who's up for a cold-ass-cruise?

Bee-individual Gormi, I've messaged you my phone number.
westcoastmarek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw my wife looking at the picture of you next to your bus, mumbling something like "he can camp in our driveway anytime..." so please don't come to the west coast, it's not nice here... rains a lot.

Laughing Laughing
1979 VW bus, 2L FI, now with a rivi top
1971 7 pass. deluxe
1974 Beetle
lilpig88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in NW Iowa...so if you head west farther I've got space, tools, food, beer, etc.

Enjoy the drive!
Bee-individual Gormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, so many nice responses! i wasn't prepared for this! I mean: you Vw-Bus community is really good over here. One example: i was stopping at a walmart-parking lot to spent the night there. it was freezing temperature and i was just about to go to bed whan i heard the sound of a boxer-enginge next to me. i sneaked through the window and sa a red vanagon parked right next to me. i talked to the owner for a second, then he disappeared because he had to work. in the morning after his shift, he invited me to come to the house of his parents. i got some really nice food, a warm shower and above it all a more than 4 hour tour around the area with a lot of insider-knowledge about nice places such as an abandoned old railway bridge! Just because of driving my van. WOW!
Keep parking next to me! Gorm

you'll find the full story on my facebook blog with a lot more pictures!
I would recommend to you going to kinzua bridge! It's awesome!

Gorm
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a sweet roadtrip!

We are located about an hour east of Chicago, just 10 minutes off 80/90. Near Lake Michigan.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorm,

Best of luck with your road trip!!! You'll be safe and happy here in the U.S. !!!

Frank and Iris stopped by my house back in 2010 on their way from Argentina to New York City. See the "Amerikondo" link that was posted. It's well worth reading. He had engine failure in Panama if I remember correctly and had the engine either replaced or re-built. He made it through Mexico and up to Tennessee, drove from Nashville and stopped here in Virginia.

His engine was suffering from blow-by and the engine compartment was full of slung out oil. And it was in December and he didn't have his heat working. I did my best to fix his heater boxes and clean up his engine to get him to New York. He left my house in a major snowstorm and had to deal with traffic on I-95 for 10 hours before he got there. At least his Bus made it up there!!!

I seem to recall Frank telling me that they did have problems/difficulties in some of the countries below Panama. Like Columbia, dealing with border guards and drug purveyors. Be aware of that.

So, make sure your Bus is in great working condition before you leave the U.S.!!!!! Make sure your passport is up to date!!! Hope you are fluent in Spanish!!!!

Best of Luck!!!!!!
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See you later this week Gorm! Smile
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I saw that wall separator behind the front seats I've been thinking of experimenting with something similar. It is a great idea for winter for heating the front while driving or while parked the back if you have a space heater. Not to mention the storage you could build into something like that.

Would it be possible to get a pic or 2 of how the wall separator attaches to the interior?

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
Bee-individual Gormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: The Fall burn and me Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

since i met some of you last weekend at the Fall-burn meeting of the DBG in Wisconsin, i wanted to update you with some pics and a bit of the story. I met a ton of nice people and heard a lot of great stories. I loved to speak to all of you and see your Busses. I always like to meet people with similar interests and of course i was proud to show my bus around. Thanks for your good feedback. And of course thanks again for inviting me.

The story went on after the meeting: i followed Dan and Jamie to their home and they hooked me up with a free bike and a rack to put on the back of the bus. Even more: they gave me a big care-package and some nice bus-accessoirs. THanks for that. The last 2 nights, i stayed in Chicago at a place that Neil mentioned. It's perfect: close to the city but quiet enough to sleep at night. Nice!

yesterday, i drove my new bike to the museum of science and industry in chicago.since i wasn't aware of the fact that it's 7 miles out of the town, it took me a long time to go there and back. i was pretty exhausted especially after not riding a bike for a long time. but anyways: i enjoy riding around, even though my legs have to be trained a bit more for that.

It was nice meeting you all, Thanks again.

My plans for the next days are: I'll drive to visit Shawn in the Quad cities today after strolling around for another couple of hours. then stay there for a night or two and then i'll head back to indiana to visit a friend in bloomington.

@ultralite: of course! i'll post some pictures in the next time. i am in a cafe right now and can't make the pics immediately, but i'll definitely will show you some pictures!

Gorm
[/img]
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a honor and privilege to meet Gorm tonight here in Iowa. Look forward to more tomorrow. Such a inspiring and great man, and truly a great evening.

Paul Hoegemeyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are heading west and go through Lincoln Nebraska I would like to meet you for a meal depending on what time you are passing through.
Paul 402 432 5906 I have a big garage if you need to do some wrenching
1970 beetle
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is back on his journey. Great times and was hard to depart at the border . We drove Bus to Bus and to the IL/IA border, said our farewells. So many great memories and great moments. Ill let Gorm fill in the details.Just want to say once again Gorm thank you and safe travels!

Bee-individual Gormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: keep the wheels turning! Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I just wanted to keep you updated: i had a nice time with shawn in the Quad cities and then left to Bloomington, where i stayed for another week! Yesterday, i left to go south which took me to Nashville, TN today! earlier today, i visited the Mammoth cave and on sunday, i'll start my journey to the gulf of mexico! Here are some pics: The full story is on facebook, as you already know!

Have a good time and thanks for being so helfful Wink
Gorm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: