Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another old beetle found.. wtb: baha tilt front end
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuned Perfection
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
The wires.

Oh, the wires.......

Shocked

What's wrong with the wires??? Laughing

Wish I had the correct NOS carb and wiring harness still..... Evil or Very Mad

Any info about the correct color for the sunroof canvas? I'd like to get that ordered soon.
einsperren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, you are no longer in Ne.
Tuned Perfection
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

einsperren wrote:
so, you are no longer in Ne.

Jobe lived in Ne. I live in Canada. I got the car from him.
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm is that a L 90 sand farbe car?????

Interesting very interesting......

I would try to preserve as much of the interior as possible, even if it's not all 100% original.

I don't understand why people take sanders and wire machines to cars that have bad paint, all that original 1951 paint will STILL be under there someplace!

Heavy Duty Easy Off oven cleaner and Goof Off after a Simple Green wash would have done this car better, if you still haven't taken all the paint off with a sander, then try to bring back the paint under the green crap.....

I love PATINA'D cars, nothing can take the place of aged original Wolfsburg paint! ~ It's just like fine wine, it gets better and better with time....

Looks like a fine base car an original Split with a sunroof and crotch coolers is the most desirable VW Beetle in today's collector world, so the car should be kept as original as possible, but also made drivable, no cutting up stuff or hacking axles any work that's reversible is fine, but don't throw away any parts to bring the car back to stock condition.
(I know a few collectable cars that had the original axles cut and narrowed and parts removed and thrown away, now the car sits unsold while the people with the $$$ want it made back to stock height before they buy it, the car will never sell or the seller now will lose thousands of dollars because of a stupid choice he made lowering the car and not using aftermarket parts, but destroying the original ones...)

Well, anyways you have a really kool car and no matter what you decide to do with it, it will be a badass ride with an original Golde sunroof, hottttt!!!!!

Good luck with your resto, I'll be watching....

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nickjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
Hmmmm is that a L 90 sand farbe car?????

Interesting very interesting......

I would try to preserve as much of the interior as possible, even if it's not all 100% original.

I don't understand why people take sanders and wire machines to cars that have bad paint, all that original 1951 paint will STILL be under there someplace!

Heavy Duty Easy Off oven cleaner and Goof Off after a Simple Green wash would have done this car better, if you still haven't taken all the paint off with a sander, then try to bring back the paint under the green crap.....

I love PATINA'D cars, nothing can take the place of aged original Wolfsburg paint! ~ It's just like fine wine, it gets better and better with time....

Looks like a fine base car an original Split with a sunroof and crotch coolers is the most desirable VW Beetle in today's collector world, so the car should be kept as original as possible, but also made drivable, no cutting up stuff or hacking axles any work that's reversible is fine, but don't throw away any parts to bring the car back to stock condition.
(I know a few collectable cars that had the original axles cut and narrowed and parts removed and thrown away, now the car sits unsold while the people with the $$$ want it made back to stock height before they buy it, the car will never sell or the seller now will lose thousands of dollars because of a stupid choice he made lowering the car and not using aftermarket parts, but destroying the original ones...)

Well, anyways you have a really kool car and no matter what you decide to do with it, it will be a badass ride with an original Golde sunroof, hottttt!!!!!

Good luck with your resto, I'll be watching....

Tom

Well said Tom, I hate it when people cut up original cars!
Tuned Perfection
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal with the car is to have it easily returned to stock. I would love to leave it stock at this time, but I am going to drive it. And I am not driving it on the highway with a 25hp engine. Having said that, I realize it is a '52 crotch cooler ragtop and I will not be cutting anything up on it.

I went to my storage spot and wrote down the VIN and engine number and they both lead to a June 1952 production which is great- they match. Now I'll get the birth certificate ordered up.

I have purchased a correct gas tank for it, and am just waiting for a sunroof handle and fuel reserve petcock to arrive from Greece. Still have a lot of parts to replace, all in due time. Also ordered a sunroof cover in beige hoping that it will be close to the original color for the car.
franklinunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuned Perfection wrote:

I went to my storage spot and wrote down the VIN and engine number and they both lead to a June 1952 production which is great- they match. Now I'll get the birth certificate ordered up.

If you are going to order the Birth Certificate, give them the engine number in the order and ask them to confirm if is the engine is matching with the pan, they will provide you a paper confirming if the engine you have is originaly from the car.

Something like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

good luck
Frank
Tuned Perfection
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long overdue for an update on this one.
The car is in my shop and I have started disassembly in preparation for proper restoration. It needs both heater channels and floors. Bottom of A pillars are totally rotted. I have these 4 pieces from Gerson already. I have also sourced many of the stolen items such as the gas tank, shift knob, L deck lid handle, front hood latch, ashtray, Golde sunroof handle, carb, T air cleaner (that one hurt). Here's what I still need:
- horn button
- rear view mirror
- rear ashtray (broke the one I had)
- 16" rims and matching hub caps
- driver's side door glass (mine has a large chip on the top)

I have sent away for the birth certificate in April and still no response. Another thread shows that they are way behind. At this point it will make a nice Christmas present. I show that the car was built in June 1952. When I took up the rear carpet it has no inspection cover in the parcel tray. I see that this was discontinued on June 23rd. So I am assuming my car was built between then and the 30th. I found out I have the wrong semaphores (I have smooth ones) and the passenger door is from an oval. Found nice grooved semaphores from Matt's and am working on getting a door.

Here are come pics of where it sits:

rear tray

passenger side door

windshield rubber

as it sits tonight

I'm going to start to read up on other people's build threads to wrap my head around the special split goodies. If anyone has any of the parts I need or advice on this build let me know.
Tuned Perfection
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more of the car's history. Appears that in 1969 it received the green paint job, and maybe that's when the oval door was installed

The underpadding had a spot for the inspection cover.

Here's the semaphores I have

I'll be posting them up for sale soon in the classifieds.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty bummed this didn't turn out to be a baja build Crying or Very sad

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: