Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stalling issue when going downhill
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SomeThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Stalling issue when going downhill Reply with quote

I am the proud new owner of a 1973 Thing. It's my first old car, first VW. It's a lot of fun to drive except for one annoying "quirk". Sometimes it stalls when idling. This usually (but not always) happens when I'm coming to a stop downhill, and usually (but not always) within the first couple of minutes of driving. It does not stall when I am in gear, only when the clutch is engaged. I do let the engine warm up a bit before starting to drive, but that doesn't help.

It has no problem re-starting with a bit of gas, and then I'm on my way. Starting up the engine cold does take some effort and needs several pumps of the gas pedal. Not sure if the two are related but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Any suggestions on the stalling issue would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete novice so please explain in simple terms. :-)

Thanks!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check your idle speed and mixture.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my Thing it ran very rough. On two cylinders. I had to go through everything and work the problems out. When it came down to it, the carb was the last problem. When the carb was off (which is VERY easy) and I had it in my hand I found the gas didn't even spray into the intake. It dumped gas like a waterfall. I was surprised the car even ran. After a friend rebuilt the carb for me, we adjusted the AF mixture. She purrs now but it was everything including the spark plugs and wires, etc.

G'luck

EDIT: Change your fuel filters and gas lines. There may also be a filter up under the gas tank too.

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: carb problems Reply with quote

hey Rappley,

That problem sounds familiar to my 73 when I got it.
And Van-go108 is probably right on the money with it being a carb issue
or fuel delivery . filter, etc.

On mine, not sure the correct term of the part on the carb but on the driver side of my carb, theres a solonoid with 1 wire (anti-dieseling solonid?) anyways, mine was very dirty and was sticking, mine wouldn't idle very well, heck when I got the car it was actually running on stale gas the smell was horrible.

I removed and cleaned this part, and on a friends suggestion purchaced a gallon can of SEA-Foam fuel injector/carb cleaner. It took about 5 cans/tanks of gas to get the idle to smooth out but it did work.

Seafoam seems to be a decent product. I run 93oct and either a can of seafoam every few tanks, or with every tank I put some lucas-oil upper cyl lube/cleaner. So far so good.

bought a handfull of fuel line filters as well, been thru 2 so far, my THING must have been sitting a bit prior to me getting it.

Well Good luck with your THING.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
SomeThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these suggestions, everyone. Sadly, it will probably be a couple of weeks before I have time to do anything, but I will try them out and let you know what works.
64 sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having this problem on my 64 Bug, I'll check the carb out, see if I can find this solenoid mabobber.
ericbaisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar sounding problem with mine. There is a small orifice that the idle fuel passes thru on the right side of the stock carb. You can unscrew and clean it very easily. That fixed my problem.
82 Diesel Rabbit, sold
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericbaisch wrote:
I had a similar sounding problem with mine. There is a small orifice that the idle fuel passes thru on the right side of the stock carb. You can unscrew and clean it very easily. That fixed my problem.

yep I agree,

also,

I've had good luck with running about 6oz of "Marvel Mystery Oil" in my gas

recently pulled my carb after 6yrs of ownership, it was perfectly clean down the carbs throat, the ONLY crud I saw was remnants on the brass pipes but even that was almost gone.

Marvel mystery oil has been around since the 20's?
looks like ATF fluid. (probably is)not sure, its a "mystery" LOL

keeps the carb clean tho.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick simple thing is to set the choke... and make sure it's not sticking.

I find when the temps change enough I have to adjust mine for easier starting and idling.

Sticking... lately mine has been sticking open. If I jiggle the nut a second it works much better.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalling while and just after breaking is probably a mixture problem, it is also likely exaggerated by the float level being off a bit. If your heat riser doesn't work well then the problem could also be related to a cold intake manifold. You really need to get all the systems working well to expect a carb to run smoothly.

Fuel pressure/delivery
Choke
Idle fuel cut off valve
Intake air preheat
Heat riser
Idle mixture
Throttle shaft bushings
General cleanliness

Buying a new Solex 30/31 and getting it tuned well will eliminate a lot of "old carb" type problems.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: