Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

inner/outer splines
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: inner/outer splines Reply with quote

Could someone explain what are the inner and outer splines on the front? I was noodling around with a freinds square this weekend and only could see the splines at the trailing arm. We lowered down two splines but i want to know what the 'inner' splines are. Am I missing something?

Jim in Seattle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are splines on both ends of the torsion bar. There is a different number one each end. It works out that if you go down on one end and up on the other, you can get 59 minutes adjustment if you want.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ, do you mean on both ends meaning left and right(er, drivers + passenger side?) I guess I am confused still. If I have the trailing arm off and am looking at the beam, where should I be looking for the inner splines?

-jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When adjusting the side in front of you, you will notice a bolt directly above that trailig arm. That bolt is holding the oposite tortion bar. By taking this bolt out and moving to the oposite side you can now adjust the front a "fine" notch. The front tortion bars cross in a X. Make sence? You will have to do this by feel as you wont be able to see it like the outer gross on the trailing arm.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that about explains it. It makes sence. Does adjusting the inner splines have like a 'fine tuning' effect, as in like lowering in smaller increments?

-Jim
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just lowering by the inner end gives you a slightly bigger drop. Shocked The way I look at it, the outer end is attached to the trailing arm, and the inner end is attached by the bolt, with that end inside the beam. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigger drop, why? also, Do you start lowering by the inner splines the same way as the outer splines, ie, remove the shock, ball joint, and trailing arm? How do you adjust "by feel" and be accurate? When using the outer splines, we notched the trailing arm and torsion bar end for referrence using a cold chisel. Is there any way of haing a referrence point for the inners?

-J
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
bigger drop, why? also, Do you start lowering by the inner splines the same way as the outer splines, ie, remove the shock, ball joint, and trailing arm? How do you adjust "by feel" and be accurate? When using the outer splines, we notched the trailing arm and torsion bar end for referrence using a cold chisel. Is there any way of haing a referrence point for the inners?

-J

Yes, the proper tool, (VW-261) and a Bentley manual. It is all explained there.

62Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does notchboy know anything about lowering a car? isnt that against the "club rulz" or you used to lower cars now youre against it? Twisted Evil
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, his T-3's are so old, that they have lowered themselves. he has to bring them back up.
Like mine. Smile

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I preach from experiance for the most part 62notch Wink My first rides were cal looker T3s. I had a 64 black resto custom notch for years that I built. One day I decided that stock was where I wanted to be. But never forget, I can drop and modify with the best of them Twisted Evil Sometimes I catch myself drifting back to resto customs, then I wake up and take a ride in my stock unrestored notch Rolling Eyes

As far as the inner spline, without that tool its all feel baby! Keep in mind to that sometimes you swear its all adjusted the same only to bolt it all back together to find out its not! Half an inch higher on one side. Its not uncommon to "lower" your suspension 2-3 times till its right. Good Luck.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
62Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for you........ Shocked
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

-J

I believe the inner end has courser splines (more minutes between the splines), this results in slightly more drop than the finer outer splines. Yes, you have to go thru the same proceedures as an outer, except you don't remove the trailing arm from the torsion bar. Very Happy I also use my Craftsman angle finder to get both sides as close as possible. Yes, it does work. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
No, his T-3's are so old, that they have lowered themselves. he has to bring them back up.
Like mine. Smile

lol, I just dropped the front of my Square yesterday to "level" the vehicle due to the sagging rear end.
Samba Member #4862
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:

lol, I just dropped the front of my Square yesterday to "level" the vehicle due to the sagging rear end.

Yours or the cars?? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Mr. Bubblehead wrote:

Yours or the cars?? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I guess I set myself up for that one.
Samba Member #4862
62Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Russ Wolfe wrote:
Like mine.
Arent all of our cars getting as old as one another?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: