Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Help VW Rabbit Took Off On Its Own No Joke
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VDubHippyOx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Need Help VW Rabbit Took Off On Its Own No Joke Reply with quote

so i have been posting and getting help from some people on this site who are very helpful and i am very gracious to you all..

So here it is after i did a swap using the engine out of an 80, 1.5lt diesel Naturally aspirated and put it in my 81, body. After all the fine tuning i go to take it to the house. (i had driven it a lil on the shop property to make sure it was all okay) Once i got down the road a ways just a few miles a going at 50-55 mph to test highway speed she started to pull away rapidly i took my foot off the accelerator and she kept going speed increasing, i push in the clutch and it maxes out leaving and cloud of grey if i recall properly so i reengage the clutch and kill the key nothing happens she keeps pulling and increasing in speed and Rpm's so i hit the clutch pull over and she keeps going only faster cause there was no friction so i put it in fourth gear and slammed the clutch out stalling the engine.. from there we put it on a trailer thats a whole nother story... if she didn't stall she would have blown and she was getting migthy close cause i didnt know what to do it took me a second to realize to try the 4th gear stall...

My theory is that something in the pump itself broke went 'snap' or 'sprung' and just kept feeding it at full blast... there isnt much else that could do that i think and the accelerator or cable didn't get stuck or jammed for all i can tell ... poor bunnie....

please any theory's or help would be appreciated

1981 Cream White VW Rabbit Diesel L "La Coneja"

1980 Red VW Rabbit Diesel L "The Donor"
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your oil level, I bet you are down. It the oil gets by the rings or valve seals (older motor) it will get in the top end and the engine will run on the waste oil. It was a common thing I was told in the older motors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that happen once with my 85 Jetta when I overfilled it with oil. It happened in the city and I had no choice but to push the clutch and coast into a parking lot. My brother was with me and thought the car was posessed. Lol. The motor actually seized up from the high rpms but it started and ran again after it cooled down. I put quite a few more miles before I found another motor for it (the reason I overfilled it was because it had so much blowby that it was pushing oil out the dipstick hole and I was constantly adding oil to it).
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early diesel VW's didn't have a baffle inside the valve cover. When the engines accumulated wear they started to have blowby from the previously stated valve guides, and rings. The engine would then start drawing oil vapors from the crankcase causing the vehicle to burn this as fuel causing a runaway throttle condition. The baffle should help until the engine is freshened up, or replaced. This started happening in the early 1980's when I was working in several VW shops.
VDubHippyOx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys i thought it might have been the pump this engine has a real problem with oil excretion into the intake and possibly the cam case i thought i might have to pull the pump and replace it but this seams contrary to what i thought o i will put the engine at Tdc put on a new belt check the oil and maybe have a good look around any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. also i am looking to trade a 80 four door body for a truck body i am currently in Hermiston Oregon if any one in this area would like to trade please let me know... and thak you again for your continuing help guys.

(oil level was only 1/4 below full when i first got it running and it ate a lil now its just half way, i don't think that was enough oil to feed how fast we were going and the high rpms it hit plus the smoke was more white like, i do believe witch indicates to much fuel)

Last edited by VDubHippyOx on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
VDubHippyOx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so we think we might have found the problem most likely.. a spring on the pump speed control lever on the out side of the pump sprung and gave the car all she had to give b@!!s to the wall and tried to kill itself lol... we are going to try installing my new remanufactured one off of the 1.6 Lt.. another question will that work are the 1.5 and 1.6 lt injection pumps the same or interchangeable ?

po7g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that happens again and you cant get it to shut off due to the conditon you had called dieseling you can take something hard and block off the intake.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubHippyOx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i will but i think ill not do it at 55 plus mph, great advise for when if i try to fix the pump if possible thank you

DUBSfightinRUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This condition is more common than people think.
Google "runaway diesel" videos and check out the scary!

Usually due to a fuel distribution issue but can also be caused by burning crankcase oil.
KrackerJack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runaway diesel is solved for the moment by diconnnecting and re routing to the fender the vent hose from th valve cover and the one from the crancase,,
,,remove the oil laden air filter and drive it home,,the blo by fuels the engine to the runaway point..i tested my process ,,the 1.5 ran great all thru the gears....next project id to fix the blo buy..i did a compression test(30$ kit from harbor freight) found #4 with 40 lbs compression ..123 had #350 cmp hence blo buy..will pull the head and look around..may save the engine with new rings??? todays date is 10 21 14 might wait till spring

when my engine ran away,,i stood on the brakes reduced the speed to about 20 mph and regained control while looking for a place to crash..
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of head gasket problems- and many left the little "O" ring out of the head gasket to oil galley which can contribute.

Glad you found the cause.

On head gaskets-- there were several to choose from- If your average piston clearance was close to the next thicker head gaskets then you got a peppy lower MPG engine - if closer to the thinner gasket -- it was a dog, but got 50 plus MPG.

Do you have VW's brown book on diesels ? (more of a pamphlet really)

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUBSfightinRUST wrote:
This condition is more common than people think.
Google "runaway diesel" videos and check out the scary!

Usually due to a fuel distribution issue but can also be caused by burning crankcase oil.

WAIT till you see how much starting fluid most of those runaways got before they went on a rampage.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrackerJack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: 1.6 engine Reply with quote

im going to need an engine what is available??near charlotte nc?? pm or email [email protected] todays date is 11/10/14 thx Krackerjack
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dried out shot valve stem seals, sucking oil past worn valve stems/guides.
MK1derfull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: The runaway 1.5 Reply with quote

This was my first big VW hurdle, when I first got my truck, I didn't even know it but it was a 1.5. It was a dog, smokey, slow, and it started running away. I was lucky to have some very knowledgeable friends. After checking the oil drain in the head we confirmed it was a 1.5 . My friends said this was a common problem on 1.5 due to there only being 1 return hole for oil to drain from the head,(I think the 1.6 all have 2). There was a thing for it, my friends called it the run away kit. It was a replacement for the emissions hose. it was T'ed and the extra leg went down and drained the excess oil, back in the case some how. I also recommend the oil baffle, for the valve cover, these two things kept my truck from running away until I found a different motor. I'd bet my Grandpa would fix the runaway problem by running the emission hose to the ground, done. But thats how it runs away, dont feed it too much oily crank case fumes and it wont run away. The conditions under the valve cover are pretty splashy as it is, mixed with the bad drainage, and blow by, you get hot thin motor oil coming into your air intake, the motor has no problem combusting it. I dont know if you can easily find the run away kit hose, maybe b&m in highpoint . Im sure you could make it with T's if you dont like my Grandps's fix. The baffle is good too, theyre pretty cheap, it will keep oil from splashing the valve cover, and down on the cam, just where you want it, good for any vw diesel, move it over when you find your new motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: