Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stale Classifieds lately?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Stale Classifieds lately? Reply with quote

So this is very subjective, especially to my needs....

Does it seem like the Classifieds have been pretty stagnant lately? I normally keep 30-50 items listed for sale. Now Im not giving them away on fire sale, but over the years I have done a good job at moving parts to feed my hobby, but lately my sales have dropped off.

As far as buying, I'm just seeing a lot of the same listings starting to age as they just get renewed (mine included). I haven't seen much in the way of good steals lately or those good juicy parts everyone desires.

Is it just a slow time the last few months? Are the Repro parts finally getting better than used? Mods, can you see if attendance is down overall on the Samba?

I cant imagine we are getting to the point where the majority of buses (or others)to be saved have? And the left overs will just rot away. I see a lot of familiar sellers are also posters like me, anyone else have similar input?

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, last year I was buying parts left and right. I haven't had anything catch my eye in months.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a certain range of items I buy used....mainly to collect parts that I know will be rare (spares). Im a 412, guy, so my needs are a bit different......but I get around alot. A few observations that may help. And my numbers are purley estimates....but I stopped to, actually think about this before I answered.

1. In general about 70-80% of the, used parts prices I see in Samba classifieds are reasonably priced. But....thats down a little. I think I see used parts prices zlowly, creeping up for things that are not rare. This is not saying the prices are unreasonable. ....yet. But I think some of that is newer or non VW people actually starting to do business here. Some of the NOS parts prices are ridiculous....especially for some parts that because of pure age....will have issues.

2. The actual complete vehicle price listing I see in in Samba classifieds is in general too high. Its true.....that many of these owners may be starting high and fully willing to negotiate down.....but I dont know that.

I know my buying methods and habits have changed due to time constraints. If im looking at something that is priced moderately too high and its condition is nominal or not perfect.....and its not rare or not my only option.....I have found that I just will not waste the valuable time to banter back and forth to reduce a price.
I have noticed that my ebay habits now follow this. I pretty much only buy things on ebay or amazon.....that I "need" or are rare enough that I must have the part.
I dont screw around in that case with wasting time watching an auction. Its either in my budget at the buy it now price or its not. I use the buy it now price about 99% of the time.

Money is not the "main" issue at this point in time (though its important). Time and hassle is more valuable.

3. There are many more people into buying and selling parts now. The Samba classifieds are not exclusive enough. You can buy parts all over the web. Some of these people are just hacks cutting up cars. It can give everyone a bad name. But some are actually salvage yards and are cheap and efficient.

4. Most parts sellers on samba.....maybe 65%.....are fairly efficient and timely. A lot are not. Too many times I send e mails.....and never get an, answer back.
Every time that happens.....I find myself unconsciously avoiding the samba classifeds and just getting what I need elsewhere.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been selling through the Samba classifieds for over a decade, and my experience is that there is a slowdown after August through March. This is generally due to the ending of show/driving season for most of the country and people shifting their spending toward the upcoming holiday season. Once March rolls around, there's a shift back toward project spending and people pull their vehicle(s) out of winter storage.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have attempted to make a few procurements and there is no negations. Some of the little parts are over priced. Thing is they the seller may have more then one of them and probably does not need the money.
I visited a VW recycler in a metro area for some seat belts, used. I ended sourcing new ones for quite a bit less.
Like countless of us we just do not have tons of funds for items.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-3-POINT-RETRACTABLE-SE...33921a641d

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually have about 100 ads going at a time, although right now I have less.
I sold a bunch of random stuff lately and actually more than normal because I usually sell the most when I post brand new ads, often selling older ads at the same time but I haven't posted any brand new ads in a while.

I also agree with what Gary posted above.

In terms of buying I used to buy stuff all the time but now I sort of concentrate on buying stuff that I actually need for my cars as opposed to just buying stuff to have around/hoard.

I also sell stuff by reading the Forums and people's build threads and then PM'ing people who sound like they are looking for something specific. If I have it and you are actually building your car, I will give you preference of stuff I have hoarded. I have no shame in saying that I like to sell stuff to people who are "worthy". I also respond to wanted ads. People have responded to my wanted ads in the past so I try to do the same if I have it.

I agree prices are rising on some common parts but a lot of time you just have to search the ads and pick the best deal.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the OP's thread, I thought, that's odd. I don't have many ads up but I had a big wave of people buying some odd ball parts I've been keeping around too long. Last week, I think I sold 5-6 items which was the most I have sold in a week. I'm just cleaning out my storage bins of items I'll never use and am tired of them collecting dust. I figure someone might need it and have been surprised at what's sold.

As far as stagnant, I agree. I often see the same items listed all the time. There are items I don't see and then I go thru the ads of people showing their junk yard or piles of stuff. I'll PM them to see if they have it or post a want add. It's rare that I can't locate the part.

Last comment- I have noticed that some once common items seem to be harder to find. I was looking for good, used dual port cylinder tins. There were not many adds for them. I checked all the usual places in the PHX area and was told a lot of the tin is drying up. No one had a set which surprised me. I'm sure there's still a lot out there but people are not taking the time to list it..I hope..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I have no shame in saying that I like to sell stuff to people who are "worthy"

Same here. I have done a lot of deals that were not advertised. Sounds kind of wrong, but true. There is only a hand full of people that deserve good used german/nos parts

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
EverettB wrote:
I have no shame in saying that I like to sell stuff to people who are "worthy"

Same here. I have done a lot of deals that were not advertised. Sounds kind of wrong, but true. There is only a hand full of people that deserve good used german/nos parts

I think that is fairly true for all....who are really into these cars and this hobby.

I don't have any adds up. I have a lot of parts. I sell a fair amount. Those who need what I have ....if I have it to sell.....generally find me on PM. If they really need it for a great project and I have far more than I need for spares I sell it to them.
In more than a few cases I just give it to them because its not something that I could put aa price on. Its type 4 stuff. Ray
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my two cents if anyone cares.

.01 your common parts aren't worth their weight in gold period. Price accordingly, if you have something I need and its priced stupid I will move on, also I hate wading through adds on every little bit and bob from some rust bucket that someone just drug out of the weeds and listed every bolt on item separately. Just tell me you have a 68 bug you are parting out. I skip over all of the superfluous adds and go to someone else's.

.02 for the love of God please respond to your adds if you are selling something, answer your e-mail or phone or something! This is becoming more prevalent recently. I live all the way over in Erie, PA if you don't want to ship put that in your add don't just ignore my request for a price to include shipping. If you say you are getting me a shipping quote please get one if you don't want to do it then just tell me and I wont bother you anymore, no harm no foul.

These are two of the main reasons why I have slowed down my buying from the classified and buying more aftermarket stuff than OG. Maybe the quality isn't as good but at least I get it.

Items bought just recently that I tried to buy from a classified add but had to go to aftermarket just to get them.

Two pan halves
heater channels both sides
quarter panels both sides
frame head and Napoleon's hat
Rear corner for my bus to include battery tray and close out. Went to Klassic Fab direct wanted to try Autocraft.

I have a friend that has been trying desperately to get parts for his 60 from a known advertiser on here and he has now entered his third month trying to get prices to include shipping to SC, I suggested he just call KF and stop wasting his time!

It gets very frustrating to waste time on sellers who are looking for the easy buck and are not willing to put forth any effort to make a sell. You got parts, I got money, I want your parts and you want my money, I made the effort to give you my money now make the effort to earn it.

This might not be the case in this situation, but if you're reading this and you are one of these sellers, yes you are hurting others with your actions.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^

I agree. If the part is sold, just email me back that its no longer for sale. If you hate ny guts and don't want to sell to me, that fine too, just let me know.

I have had better deals with zero feedback members too...go figure.

The last 2 transactions I have had was like pulling teeth....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Kiptere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get a single port head has been a nightmare. Posted WTB adds and got no response. Contacted people who were selling them in the classifieds and got no response. Why post an add and not respond when someone wants to buy it? Gave up today and got one off E Bay.
70 Bug Vert
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I would have known...I have a pair of single port heads...didn't think they were worth anything.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Wish I would have known....

that's why you check the WTB ads. You never know what you can sell to somebody looking for something specific Wink
Yep things slow down this time of year for the everyday parts.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a season "adjustment" every year around the holidays. I work hard to take care of my customers at a fair price, so my upswing is usually in January. I see "stale" markets as opportunities, provide a better price and good customer service...and put money in the bank! (or buy yet another "project" in my case).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: