Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone want to install my vent window rubber for $$ ?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigedd08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Anyone want to install my vent window rubber for $$ ? Reply with quote

This past weekend I have been attempting to replace my vent window rubber with not much luck. Brick wall I have never done it before, so I am not good at it. I am basically 100% restoring my fasty so I would prefer to let someone do it who has done it before.

Is there anyone out there who would be interested in doing this task for $compensation? Just holla back if anyone is up to it....
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am doing the same thing for my Notch. Can you say "f***ing bitch" Exclamation It's a pain in the ass. I've got one done and it turned out OK. Will do the other this weekend. The vertical vent rubber is the only thing not installed as they just don't fit. Too wide for the channel. I bought two sets from different suppliers, hoping one would fit but when I got 'em they were identical. I think I'll cut it down and install it with weather adhesive. Good luck...

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigedd08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pics of how it looks? Mine came from cip1 and the bottom seems like 1/2" too long.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboymark wrote:
The vertical vent rubber is the only thing not installed as they just don't fit. Too wide for the channel. I bought two sets from different suppliers, hoping one would fit but when I got 'em they were identical. I think I'll cut it down and install it with weather adhesive. Good luck...

Yes, this is how I had to do that part on my Notch. I think these are actually bug parts, and are just being sold as t-3 parts. Rolling Eyes I know that was the worst part of doing my wing windows. For the other piece (that warps around the opening of the wing) I just made a small slit in the rubber, and worked it around the lower hinge pin, then glued the slit closed. This worked nice, in that I didn't have to remove the factory hinge rivit to get the seal in place at the bottom. I haven't noticed any leaks, and my car stays parked outside unless it's getting some work done to it. Shocked I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
localboymark wrote:
I think I'll cut it down and install it with weather adhesive. Good luck...

I know that was the worst part of doing my wing windows. For the other piece (that warps around the opening of the wing) I just made a small slit in the rubber, and worked it around the lower hinge pin, then glued the slit closed. This worked nice, in that I didn't have to remove the factory hinge rivit to get the seal in place at the bottom. I haven't noticed any leaks, and my car stays parked outside unless it's getting some work done to it. Shocked I hope this helps.

Super glue works wonders on rubber. We use it at work to make O'rings if we don't have the right size. Like Bob said, slit the rubber where it needs to go around the top hinge, then glue it back together.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Super glue works wonders on rubber. We use it at work to make O'rings if we don't have the right size. Like Bob said, slit the rubber where it needs to go around the top hinge, then glue it back together.

Actually the seal I used went in without any mods for the top hinge. Shocked It was the bottom pin that I had to make the slit for. It was either slit the rubber, or remove the factory rivit. I chose making a slit. The reason for the slit was you'd have to remove the rivit, then unbolt the pin plate, then lift the whole frame out, change the rubber, then re-assemble. Now it's starting to sound like work. Shocked Like I said before I haven't had any leaks because of this. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Classic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi does anyone know how the F#*Rk to put notch rear pop out window rubber in????
Its killin me and my hands
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: