Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

trike!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busnvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: trike! Reply with quote

Very Happy Anyone here ever built a VW trike? Not the goofy hillbilly lookin' ones with a big ol bench seat bungeed on, or a fiberglass pea pod, but a cool fabbed one.

Here's what I have in mind since I have the '68 transaxle and a near new 1641..........Flip the ring gear so the engine could be set in a frame beneath the rider. Fab the tins, duct the fins, run a remote oil cooler too. Tube frame, 8" over springer fork, jockey shifter. Discs on back no brake in front with coil over shocks. (Being so much lighter I have to wonder if the leaves would need to come out of the torsion tube.)

Rider in chopper riding position with fuel tank on backbone. Oh yea....wheelie bar!

Anyone??????????????????????????
kliff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to this page http://trikerdon.50megs.com/tpics.htm and click on album, it'll take you to a BUNCH of trike pics....

Go to this page for more pics, and a trike realted web page http://btw-trikers.org/uploads/home.php
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kliff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, about the front engined VW...try this one http://hem.passagen.se/trike/engelsk/ramareng.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trikes have never really been my 'cup of tea,' but it's nice to see so many folks loving theirs. Cool

Personally, I'd like to see more of this one:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
Wounded Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Swedish Trike Reply with quote

I'm building a Swedish Trike myself. If you go that route let me know and I'll try to help you out. I've put together spec's for the frame etc. and I know where you can get plans. If you have an endless bank account try www.calleschopperdelar.com They are really great guys and have all the parts you need including several types of frames. They actually brought my parts order to Daytona Bike week this year and sent them from there to save me the shipping. They are the biggest chopper shop in Sweden.

Wounded Bear
[email protected]
etmishts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungy cord seems like a good idea, I'm building one of those hillbilly suckers right now. Lots of "VW" trikes on the web. making something yourself feels good.
Chubby Cox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool site! I just got my first VW, a decent Super Beetle. Unfortunately it was wrecked in the front and cannot be repaired, so I am thinking about building a trike out of it. If anyone else has built something like this I welcome any advice.
Chubby Cox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also how does one title/register/license a trike?
Wounded Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Chubby Reply with quote

Every state is different. Post on http://btw-trikers.org/info/info.html
It's the biggest Triker site on the net. Every state and several foreign countries. Let em know where your from and you'll have details before the day is out. good luck!

Wounded Bear
bgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I don't believe it. I never thought I'd find a VW trike page.
I have a glass one that needs a lot of work. I was very close to
finishing it back in 84, but got side tracked. I want to get it going
again, but finding parts is pretty hard. I'll try and get a pic scanned
of it when I was about 75% done.
Eddie Too
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Trike Reply with quote

Hello all. New here to the forum and found the trike thread. Just starting to build one. Has anyone used or checked on a Glassmann body out of Alanta? I will probably have a lot of questions and hope I can maybe answer a few for someone else. Lets hear from some of you trikers. Very Happy
EZGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you start sinking tons of money into a trike I would check into who and how much it will cost to insure it.

Insureance is required in most states.

Before you try insuring it with the title of the doner car remember that if there is ever a claim or a serious accident you will be in big doo doo.
TexasTriker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Trike insurance Reply with quote

Insuring a trike is actually easy. Liability through Progressive on my vw trike is $139 a year Very Happy

JD
Ozz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Trike ! Reply with quote

Insurance - Not a problem
MadDog69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the middle of buying a 1973 type 4 with a 1.7 automatic to use as a donor car for a vw trike. I hope to make it an all 3 wheel leaning delta trike.
Seagull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Subaru 2 ltr quad cam trike Reply with quote

Hi all I have a full custom Subaru 2ltr n/a quad cam 32 valve EFI trike c/w three speed type three automatic gear box .Paint is candy aple red with metal flake harliquin she is a two seater & all custom built by me .She is made as a big time hwy flyer and covers the ground like a rocket ship .0>100ks in 5 seconds

Its called MISTRESS

its in down under Australia

& its going to blow you away ! now how do I post a photo of her here ?

She was finished in 2005 & is now for sale

cheers seagull[/img]
trikerguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: yay! home built trikes! Reply with quote

I have been working on my VW based trike for three years.. I have set down a really tight budget for it, so I don't go too overboard! So far I have about $2500 bucks into it. The big ticket items were the running super beetle, and the big wide back tires!!
I'm really pleased with how it's turned out so far. As a first attempt I think it looks real good! I never really had a "plan" and kind of made it up as I went along. It still REALLY NEEDS a better seat! The one that's on it is a "cut-down" from a 280Z Datsun (I wacked the top of the seat off with a sawsall!)
This thing will probably NEVER be actually "finished" there always seems to be SOMETHING else to do to it!!
It runs a mostly stock 1600 dual port engine, with headers, and a stinger.
It has the front end off of a '78 Yamaha XS1100, with the front "mag" wheel.
I mounted the shifter in front of me, comming thru the "tank" and the fuel tank is behind the seat, so is the battery
AND NO GOOFY BENCH SEAT!! (of course, we've been wondering, if you DID have a bench seat, and a seat belt...could you ride it WITHOUT a helmet??)

KEEP THIS TRIKE SITE GOING!! THERE ARE TOO FEW OUT THERE, and we should all help each other!!
Thanks!!
ishffla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: VW TRIKES Reply with quote

:HAVE BEEN RIDING THE SAME VW POWERED TRIKE FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS, AND ENJOYING EVERY MINUTE OF IT. ALSO HAVE A CHOPPED TOP TYPE 3, 1968 MODEL ,FILLED IN SIDE WINDOWS TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A PANEL TRUCK.
RIDE ON, RIDE HARD
ISH-FFLA
The13bats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meinetypdrei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trike Reply with quote

Eddie Too wrote:
Has anyone used or checked on a Glassmann body out of Alanta?Very Happy

....if you are serious about getting a trike body or kit from the Glassmann, unless you like getting ripped off, please reconsider. There is a huge list of people across the country in the last year that have fallen victim to his scam. Tens of thousands of dollars have been stolen from innocent consumers expecting a product that was never delivered, and now he is nowhere to be found.... if anyone has any info. of his whereabouts, please let me know. Prosecution is in the works, I can guarantee that.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: