Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

E Brake not staying engaged help
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: E Brake not staying engaged help Reply with quote

60 T5B
When I pull the ebrake out and turn it, after 2-5 seconds it disengages and goes back in thus leaving me with no ebrake engaged.
I have completely restored the car so I do not know if I reinstalled improperly or if something is not tight at the bracket.
Everything else works just will not stay pulled out.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you greased the hex shaft, that's a mistake.
Wade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Saddlesore,
If you go to the 356 Registry site and search for "Hand Brake Rebuild" or something like that, there is an article I wrote a number of years ago that show exactly how the internal handbrake parts to together and how it needs to be set up to work right. The fact that you greased it is likely not the problem. If you have the internal parts all oriented correctly, you may not have pre-twisted the cable before attaching it to the front bracket. The twist puts the correct torque on the handle, keeping things locked in place. Check out the article on the 356 Registry and I'm sure you'll have no problem sorting out the problem. Good luck!
-Greg
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all good advice, but grease can certainly be an issue. At our shop, where we have been for 41 years, we work on 100 to 200 356's each year. Of those maybe 6 or 7 will require work on the hand brake mechanism under the dash. More than half of those have been assembled incorrectly. It is a very simple, yet tricky, friction device. At least 2 or 3 each year have nothing wrong with them other than being greased. A simple cleaning restores proper operation to those units Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: