Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

split radio question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: split radio question Reply with quote

ok, I have this here slightly hacked up pushbutton Telefunken face plate and no radio for it, I have been meaning to either weld it up smooth and cut it back out for a tape deck or something modern, or should I just buy a repro Bakelite block off plate and try cutting that up and try and find someone who needs the Telefunken faceplate? I think I would have a harder time fitting a new radio into a thick piece of Bakelite then I would into metal, what is the correct model number for the Telefunken "pushbutton" I didnt find it refered by any other name in a brief photo search?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

heres one not hacked up:

There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a model ID52 radio actually, its been hacked pretty good, but pieces could be welded back. I have a few of these original faces as well and could trace a template of one so you know what to cut and weld back in. I'm actually making a run of these radios this winter which use these same original faceplates, mine will all use restored Sapphire I radios, and they will look identical to the original since I make all the trim parts for this radio. The vol/tuner holes are standard DIN spacing so a variety of radios will fit the hole. A few of my customers have also bought my reproduction blank pod plate to install a radio too, a common problem however is that the thickness of the plate sometimes is too thick to be able to put the top nuts on the vol/tuner shafts, there are work arounds but theres some work going that direction as well, good luck!
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brezelwerks wrote:
Its a model ID52 radio actually, its been hacked pretty good, but pieces could be welded back. I have a few of these original faces as well and could trace a template of one so you know what to cut and weld back in. I'm actually making a run of these radios this winter which use these same original faceplates, mine will all use restored Sapphire I radios, and they will look identical to the original since I make all the trim parts for this radio. The vol/tuner holes are standard DIN spacing so a variety of radios will fit the hole. A few of my customers have also bought my reproduction blank pod plate to install a radio too, a common problem however is that the thickness of the plate sometimes is too thick to be able to put the top nuts on the vol/tuner shafts, there are work arounds but theres some work going that direction as well, good luck!

Gary,

Any idea how much your 'new' radios will cost?

Cheers
Rich.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have the first 2 of these hybrid (original metal faceplate) ID52 radios available in January, price will be somewhere around $900. Two full reproduction Becker Monza radios will be available late Nov for approximately $1100. As I continuously outfit the new shop here now and obtain more help over the winter I hope to also produce the Telefunken IA50 lightning bolt radio for early spring. We'll generally only likely produce a handful of each radio per year.

Gary
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an IA50 from a junkyard in Germany for like 5 D-marks back in 1989, it was laying in a pile of other radios outside under a rotten tarp, it was a piece of crap but thats what it was, I still have one of the tubes out of it, the faceplate was good and the dial was fair, I traded it for a batwing horn button for my oval ...
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a ID52 power pack for one of these if any has one.
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I am looking for a ID52 power pack for one of these if any has one.

me too
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of power packs but I'm not sure what they are for, probably oval ones, how do I tell what power pack is for what radio ?
ldi.eduardo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: I need help, whith dimensions of telefunken radio Reply with quote

Hi !

I have the intention to make a modern replica of a preceding model. But I need help figuring out the width and height measurements .

I hope I can help with these measures.

Thank you

http://www.volksgdl.com.mx/foro/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33823.0;attach=2065;image

wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help, whith dimensions of telefunken radio Reply with quote

ldi.eduardo wrote:
Hi !

I have the intention to make a modern replica of a preceding model. But I need help figuring out the width and height measurements .

I hope I can help with these measures.

Thank you

[img]http://www.volksgdl.com.mx/foro/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33823.0;attach=2065;[/img]

No pics to be seen. Try again with the proper links.
And what do you mean by "I hope I can help with these measures"?
If you can help I wonder what your question is.
ldi.eduardo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry!

but my english is pretty bad.

my problem to make a replic is get the messures of the original radio, height and width.

hope somebody helps.

thanks
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get an original split dash. the radio interferes with the ashtray and a corner on the dash
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: