Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help choosing front tires w/ my wheel setup
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Need help choosing front tires w/ my wheel setup Reply with quote

Okay I'll give all the detail as possible so you can help....
'67 bug with '66 front fenders
2.5" cb drop spindles
Stock beam
Wide 5 pattern drum brakes

Just purchased some empi gt-5 (15x5.5") wheels and they came with 195/60/15 rear tires

I need help choosing 2 fronts. I am considering the 165/60/15 continental tires "smart car" tires.
I want a good contact patch but also don't want to rub tires on the fenders. Should I be concerned about rubbing issues with a stock front beam? I am not a fan of the narrowed beam bugs (sorry guys)

I would appreciate any help. I've been browsing the wheel/tire combo forum for an hour and am getting my eyes crossed! I "think" 165/60/15 would be okay?
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is why don't you like the narrowed beam? Is it the typical narrowed look you don't prefer? Or you afraid from a safety view?
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain what is wrong with this? 2" narrowed with a typical 5.5" wheel gives you pretty much a stock wheel inset. And we run 185's in the front with no issue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But I am with you - not into excessively narrowed beams. [/img]
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put continental 165/60's on my car, seem good so far and no rubbing.

I have drop spindles, disc brakes and 4" narrowed beam, so I'd imagine you will be plenty fine.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't need 165/60/15........... to small for a car with just dropped spindles... 165/65/15 is actually a tad bit smaller than the 135r15 that were ran for years on adjustable beam/drop spindle cars. thats about as small as i would go.... but to be honest even those are overkill on a non-narrowed/not adjustable beam........... 175/60/15, 175/65/15, 185/55/15 are all also viable candidates. i've listed overall diameter comparisons before so you can get ideas of all ratios of different sizes....ken...
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't like the tires too far under the fenders. I want larger rear tires and smaller fronts but not real small! My friend just went with 4" narrowed beam and 135's!!!!!!? I DO NOT like the look. The 135's will be SOOO unsafe. He's putting a 2200 motor in it and I told him if he even taps the gas when turning the car will skid the front wheels!!!!??

I got all four wheels with the "porsche style" centercaps and good year tires on the rear for $300!! They have 10 miles on them??
I am soo happy. He wanted to keep the fronts and I said "keep em!"
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing front tires w/ my wheel setup Reply with quote

'67 Sunroof wrote:
2.5" cb drop spindles
Stock beam

Just purchased some empi gt-5 (15x5.5") wheels and they came with 195/60/15 rear tires

I need help choosing 2 fronts. I am considering the 165/60/15 continental tires "smart car" tires.
I want a good contact patch but also don't want to rub tires on the fenders. Should I be concerned about rubbing issues with a stock front beam? I am not a fan of the narrowed beam bugs (sorry guys)

I would appreciate any help. I've been browsing the wheel/tire combo forum for an hour and am getting my eyes crossed! I "think" 165/60/15 would be okay?

67 bug, cip1 radar repops, dropped spindles only, drum brakes, stock width beam. currently runnin 145/15's up front. and 195/65/15's out back. its okay. id like to put a little wider and taller up front some day, but no real complaints thus far as far as handling and drivability goes.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty darn close to what route I am taking. I found some 165/45/15 online for $60 each. Will that be too low a profile? I think 165 front and 195 in back would look nice. Not sure about the aspect ratio though....
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

165/45's are really, really short (20"?) and to look right the car will have to be dropped to the weeds around them, which means cranking the beam as well. With just drop spindles, a 23 1/2-24" tire will look right.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice. Yeah, I know you wanna fill up the fender/tire gap for it to look "right" IMO.
What would you suggest? 165/70/15?
165/60/15?
I'm sure the overall diameter changes dependingon what size rim I am running..... I have 5.5" rims
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing front tires w/ my wheel setup Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
'67 Sunroof wrote:
2.5" cb drop spindles
Stock beam

67 bug, cip1 radar repops, dropped spindles only, drum brakes, stock width beam. currently runnin 145/15's up front. and 195/65/15's out back. its okay. id like to put a little wider and taller up front some day, but no real complaints thus far as far as handling and drivability goes.

What series tires do you have upfront? Have another pic without the wheels turned?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all guesswork until Your body is back on the pan. You will be pissed about buying new tires you don't like or don't fit! Mad I have been buying good Used pairs of tires to run on my lowered squareback & pickup. I am on 185X60 & 205X70 now.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey

Last edited by Mike Fisher on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67 Sunroof wrote:
Appreciate the advice. Yeah, I know you wanna fill up the fender/tire gap for it to look "right" IMO.
What would you suggest? 165/70/15?
165/60/15?
I'm sure the overall diameter changes dependingon what size rim I am running..... I have 5.5" rims

Yes, the diameter changes depending on the rim size, but not that much. I would think 165/60's a little on the short side (Continental- 22.8") and searching at Tirerack doesn't turn up anything for 165/65's or 165/70's (doesn't mean they're not made). 175/60's are 23.3" (same size as 135's but way more tread) and there's some good choices in 175/65's (24", about the same height as a 145/15), including the Dunlop SP Sport 01, an ultra high perf summer tire.

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I'm on page 42 out of 90 on the wheel/tire suspension section....omg
My eyes hurt. I've been snapping pics of bugs similar to my current setup.

Don't the cb 2.5" spindles move the wheel/tire in slightly? And I KNOW disc brakes move each side out another 1.5"
But I don't have disc-I have drum brakes.

I might look into the weld-in adjusters. Kinda scares me a bit.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drop spindles move the wheel OUT 1/8-1/4".

i gave you a GOOD list of options..........

if tirerack doesn't carry the size you choose check tires-easy.com

AGAIN i have listed EXTENSIVE info on this subject over the years. now you just need to decide what works for you.

my opinion if you're gonna run drop spindles and aftermarket wheels/wider tires, a 2" narrowed beam is a GREAT idea. as it pulls the track width back to about stock. i actually like a 3-4" narrowed even more as i like a little tuck.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing front tires w/ my wheel setup Reply with quote

'67 Sunroof wrote:
67jason wrote:
'67 Sunroof wrote:
2.5" cb drop spindles
Stock beam

What series tires do you have upfront? Have another pic without the wheels turned?

they just standard 145/15 nankings...i think they are 80 series or close to that. there are a few more pics of the 67 in my gallery, but they all kinda suck as far as pictures go.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been able to get 165/65-15's in the US. I did 165/60-15 on my slightly lowered T34. I liked them a lot and would use them again

165/80-15 all the way around

switched to 165/60-15's

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paavuli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit with my own question, but maybe its better to have these in a same thread...

I am running a 2" narrowed beam with shocks, dropped spindles, stock drums and 19mm swaybar in a 65 beetle. Wheels are Vredestein Sprint Classics in 155/85/15. The car is level with 1 spline drop from rear (plus the rear was sagging already a bit) I almost ordered Empi 5 spoke replicas with 20 ET, but I'm worried that they will come out too much (rub the fender lip). Afaik the stock rims have et of 30 and the replicas are half inch wider than the stock. Do you think I would get them to fit? With the replicas I would go to a lower tire profile.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empi 5 spoke will definitely stick out further than the stock wheels. 2.0 Liter wheels are flatter and fit better lowered and w/bigger tires. I have 185X60 & 205X70 on my lowered squareback w/2.0 Liter wheels.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: