Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do I do with metal tabs/door sills before epoxy/paint?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: What do I do with metal tabs/door sills before epoxy/paint? Reply with quote

Hard to explain:
The metal "teeth clips" that run down the door pillar and the bottom "sill?"....
What do I do with these before we epoxy the car? Should I open them up a bit in order to spray the epoxy? Is the epoxy somewhat flexible and would it crack once the base and clear is sprayed on? Like, once I have the paint/clear done and I'm putting in the interior, would the paint/clear crack when I go to bend the tabs over?
Just trying to think long term before we start.
Question
Anything else I should consider before we spray? We should get started tomorrow or Friday.
Oh yeah, the exterior has been da'ed with 80 grit and we are spraying SPI epoxy primer. I hand sanded the dash with 80 grit, but can we spray the rest of the interior without sanding? (It is pretty rough from being sandblasted)
I would think it will grab pretty well and it will be under the carpet anyway!? What do you guys think?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80 grit with epoxy over it is going to be rough. Epoxy over fresh sandblasted metal might look like the surface of the moon. I would at least knock it down to 120, the metal sands nicely, the epoxy sands like mud. I have a lot of my bus bare from sandblasting, and am taking it as far as I can before epoxy. I've made the mistake before, and wasted a lot of sandpaper trying to knock down the epoxy.

The metal clips, I would open far enough to get the headliner under them. That way they're only getting bent once: closed.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I have bent painted metal, some of the paint chips. I usually just do touchup painting at the end of assembly to fix any small chips that occur during reassembly. I am no pro, so there may be some tricks to doing it better.

Follow epoxy with 2k primer (probably highbuild) in the "recoat window" and you don't need to worry about sanding the epoxy.

Just remember anything you 2k primer should be block sanded, so you are going to end up sanding the whole body one way or the other (sand 2k, sand metal, or sand epoxy - your call).

Sanding 2k primer (high build or regular) is easier than sanding metal. Sanding metal is easier than sanding epoxy primer.

Depending on your goals, you can get away with topcoating epoxy primer and avoiding sanding on the hidden areas if you recoat in the recoat window with topcoat. I would still block sand any areas that are exposed metal - especially the dash.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To eliminate the paint chipping, I would epoxy prime the interior & mask off the clip. 2K or whatever filler prime & before painting remask the clip, before last coat remove tape, spray over. try to keep the paint thickness to a minimum. That will keep the paint from chipping. Best of luck
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol...wow, thanks guys!
I bent the tabs up just a tad and will use a rubber mallet to lightly tap them over once the rubber is in. Wish me luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: