Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel Issues
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gladi8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Diesel Issues Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm a newby from socal, just picked up a Vanagon (84) with an unfinished 1.9 AAZ conversion. I was told the motor was fine and low miles out of a Passat (96) and I did something pretty absent minded (stupid) that may be causing my problem. I was having trouble getting fuel up from the tank so I hooked up a gravity feed tank that I had rigged previously. Anyway, the stupid part is that I hooked it straight into the injection pump, not thinking about the fuel filter. For a second it seemed like it was going to run good (not sure) but basically it will only idle and won't take more fuel without dying. I ran it a bit and then obviously realized the filter was not hooked up. I tried to run it a bit after hooking up the filter and put a good jolt of cetane booster hoping it would straighten out. The problem persists though a plan to run it more and hope it dislodges something in the pump or some miracle happens. I know nothing about diagnosing this type of problem or tuning these motors so I'm pretty stuck. Anyone have any ideas or somewhere I can turn to try to work through this? It's pretty frustrating because I had a great time building an exhaust, intake and some other stuff and I thought I was going to be on the road. Any and all help appreciated. Steve in Fullerton.
gladi8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is solved. I found a post where someone had the exact same symptoms. Turns out it was not getting enough fuel. I tightened up the fuel system and once it bled out it's fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: