Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which is easier/quicker? fuel line under tank...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Which is easier/quicker? fuel line under tank... Reply with quote

I have sprung a fuel leak.

I'm assuming it's the fuel line under the tank going to the metal line that's been eaten by the new fuel mixtures.

My question, is it easier to pull the passenger tire and replace it with the tank in place, or is it easier to pull the tank up and do it that way?

I'd rather not pull the tank as I just replaced the fuel filler hoses and it was difficult to get them all aligned correctly... but word is I need small arms and hands to be successful through the wheel.

I'd think with the tank out of place that line would end up a bit longer than it needed to accommodate the tank being out of place.

Thoughts?

-Rob
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replace it without removing the tank, it's not that bad. It does help to have the car on jack-stands and long arms. Put an inline fuel filter in there while you are at it.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilest kenj06 is correct here, think about future service....
Master cylinder, front end work, etc... Why not have a longer fuel line under the tank, so it's ready to move up and out of the way for service, without having to drain the tank?

I have an in trunk filler neck, so I understand my logic is slightly biased, but the basic idea is still there....

Just a thought... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Fuel lines Reply with quote

I agree you can doit from the bottom. Sometimes its kinda hard to get your arm in there and pull the fuel line off the the metal line coming out of the tank, plus you still have to get it off the fuel line in the trans tunnel.

You have to watch pulling the fuel line off as you can pull up on it and pull the line and the rubber grommet out of the trans tunnel. Good luck getting that back in! Personally I would cut the line and pull the tank so it can be done right for the above reasons. Then rebuild everything correctly.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the tank and check the bottom of the tank that is where they rust out . You need to clean the bottom of the tank and check the seal on the nut where the metal line comes off the tank most of time it is the tank that is rusted out causing the fuel leak, and if you need more info go to our website http://kubeltreffen181.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jacked up the car this weekend and took the passenger wheel off reveling the problem. The rubber was falling apart because of a re-routed break line (not my doing), and age. I assume ethanol in the fuel didn't help matters much.

As I was carefully removing the clamp on the tunnel side the hose fell apart.

The hose clamp on the bottom of the tank was cinched on making it very difficult to remove. I was just about to give up and actually pull the tank when I began making progress removing it and the little bit of rubber it was gripping to...

I installed new hose using two screw down hose clamps while using some old stereo speaker wire to insure the hose and break line don't rub until I can determine why the line was re-routed and repair that issue.

The bottom of the tank looks to be in good shape so I feel ok not pulling it at this time.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: