Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 68 fastback subaru ej22 conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Squareback_Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kool, really love the conversation and hope to get mine done. I was wondering about a few things like when your friend "chopped" the harness do you still have all the fan relays, dash lights and plug port to check engine problems. Also where did you place the brain as you have your air filter where it would be (I believe that is where it would go for the stock EFI brain)

oh and vlad if you want to send me a good EZ30 or 36 I will be glad to try and stuff it into my squareback instead of my EJ22. The cheapest subi I could find was $500 but has a horible knocking in the engine like something let go inside according to the seller.
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the harness does still have the fan wiring and the plug ports to able to "check engine" but no dash lights. the ECU is behind my back seat, kinda hidden wall on the passenger side where the igniter is mounted...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

70 Squareback
73 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squareback_Joe wrote:
Hey Kool, really love the conversation and hope to get mine done. I was wondering about a few things like when your friend "chopped" the harness do you still have all the fan relays, dash lights and plug port to check engine problems. Also where did you place the brain as you have your air filter where it would be (I believe that is where it would go for the stock EFI brain)

oh and vlad if you want to send me a good EZ30 or 36 I will be glad to try and stuff it into my squareback instead of my EJ22. The cheapest subi I could find was $500 but has a horible knocking in the engine like something let go inside according to the seller.

I don't know where you find 36 engines let alone good 25 engines that cost reasonable.

the prices for 2nd hand suby engines or any jap engines for the matter of fact are pricey for what they are.

I do know crate engines are reasonable, if you can find them. about 4-5k for long block last time I saw one.

found this, absolute bargain! if you get a complete car or front clip, this will be a great basis to build on top of.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-LEGACY-EZ36-3600...43d22dec3a

71 Aussie notchback, the money pit
92 VP vacationer, old faithful never die
95 VR executive, Restored beyond factory
92 VP S Pack, bought it new old
I am square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!
Last spring I bought the red one on here..... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547640&highlight=subaru

The guy I bought it from did not do the swap, but whoever did, didn't do a clean job. It worked tho. Drove great. I say drove because after a few months I had a blown head gasket. Notorious on the 2.5 DOHCs.
Work got in the way over the summer. But Now I'm finally getting some work done on it. I'm redoing the swap tho, since it was poorly done. The radiator was held in by plumbers tape for goodness sake!

Hopefully I can document some of the "re-build" soon. I took advantage of Subaugears black friday sale. So a 5 speed swap will push the completed project back a little more now. Nevertheless, I'm gonna take my time and do it right!

'73 Thing
'86 Syncro Doka
'85 Vanagon
'08 R32
'14 Tiguan
ArcticSquare69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on swapping a ej22 in my 69 squareback this winter. I am going to use my 4 speed for a transmission. I am hung up on motor mounts. How are your guys engines supported??
I am square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest option: Make a custom mustache bar using existing mount locations on ea side of the engine bay. Use stock subaru motor mounts on your now custom mustache bar.

There are a few more options I can think of but involve a lot more fab.

My car came with a swing axle configuration. I converted it to IRS by adding control arm brackets to my existing swing axle torsion housing because I wanted to keep the frame horns found on a swing axle torsion housing. Subarugears makes a mounting bracket that you bolt to the frame horns that allows you to use subaru motor mounts. So obviously now I use an IRS trans with this set up.(I did it this way, because it's gonna make the subaru trans swap that much easier by having IRS)

Another option since your car is already IRS is to add frame horns to your IRS axle torsion housing and bolt the subarugears mounting bracket same as above. There is a company out there that makes weld on frame horns (and IRS brackets like I did) Search internet, the companies that sell them will likely taylor to the VW off road community.

'73 Thing
'86 Syncro Doka
'85 Vanagon
'08 R32
'14 Tiguan

Last edited by I am square on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have any engine supports in mine.(swing axle) But as said already, since you have IRS, might be quick and easy to make a custom mustache bar.
70 Squareback
73 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kai4130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool conversion. I'm a fan as there are not many of use around that have done this. Great job!

Here's my shortened sump. It's a stock sump shortened and budged. Holds the stock amount of oil and the dipstick reads true with no modifications.

My sump is a blatant rip off from ricola racing. Click on the beetle, then engine fitting and half way down the page is the sump build.

http://www.ricola.co.uk/

Mines got a turbo by the way Smile

inzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you guys did great work. I am planning on doing this to my 69 Fasty before too long as well. I am thinking about going with a turbo 2.5 subi motor though. In the meantime I will just put around in with my stock 1600...

@Kai4130 I love your notch too. Very nicely done

66 Bug
69 Fasty
Old school Sandrail
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does everyone do about heat once you make the conversion?

I am talking about a heater. Not overheating.
My Old 70 Squareback
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good looking notch!
I plan to eventually install this heater into my fastaroo...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991102-1/overview/
70 Squareback
73 Thing
Kai4130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kooldub wrote:
good looking notch!

Thanks dude.

Here's my build

http://vwkd.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2605

Regarding the heater install I found a mini heater made by Smiths. Easily available here in the UK. I cut the fresh air box and the heaters air intakes into the air box. I ducted the oe wind screen demist vents to the heater windscreen output. I know have a fully functional heater both for the can and to demist the wind screen. For my coolant pipes I cut a small entry hole into the top of the gearbox runner and sent my heater coolant pipes through this hole which is cut just below the heater. I had air lock issues at first. My coolant system is totally self bleeding. I have an 8mm line connecting my front radiator to my header tank in the back with the engine. I connected a small 8mm line from my heaters coolant return line to the radiator bleed line. This stopped the airlock I was getting when refilling my coolant.

These cost about £50 for a quality used item over here

DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindo cool conversion and you seemed to enjoy the fasty pretty much. In the Philippines, changing the motor means having it registered as new motor with the Department of Transportation Office. What about there? Does your government require that the motor be registered as the replacement.. Congrats..
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ArcticSquare69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about the mustache bar also. I feel that that will be the easiest. How would the motor want to say up from not having any motor mounts? I feel like it would put too much stress on the tranny mount and screw something up. lol

Sorry for the slow reply, I never had received a notification.
Thank you two for the replies!

I am square wrote:
Easiest option: Make a custom mustache bar using existing mount locations on ea side of the engine bay. Use stock subaru motor mounts on your now custom mustache bar.

There are a few more options I can think of but involve a lot more fab.

My car came with a swing axle configuration. I converted it to IRS by adding control arm brackets to my existing swing axle torsion housing because I wanted to keep the frame horns found on a swing axle torsion housing. Subarugears makes a mounting bracket that you bolt to the frame horns that allows you to use subaru motor mounts. So obviously now I use an IRS trans with this set up.(I did it this way, because it's gonna make the subaru trans swap that much easier by having IRS)

Another option since your car is already IRS is to add frame horns to your IRS axle torsion housing and bolt the subarugears mounting bracket same as above. There is a company out there that makes weld on frame horns (and IRS brackets like I did) Search internet, the companies that sell them will likely taylor to the VW off road community.
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 fastback subaru ej22 conversion Reply with quote

it's been about 4yrs since converting my fasty to Subaru powered. Been really fun to drive. The 2.2L motor has been reliable with good usable power. I did install squareback rear torsion bars that helped the squatting and plan to upgrade and make a few changes this winter but its been a blast to drive.

Cool

kris
70 Squareback
73 Thing
Kai4130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 fastback subaru ej22 conversion Reply with quote

That’s looking kool!

Have you any idea MPG you are getting from your 2.2?
gm4lnch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 fastback subaru ej22 conversion Reply with quote

Mine gets horrible fuel mileage....but I just finished my swap so my gas pedal still only knows nothing or floored. lol. Kooldub is right even at our altitude these things still have tons of useable power, even in my heavier Subisqaure.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kai4130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 fastback subaru ej22 conversion Reply with quote

That’s nice!

So, I did 2 months of commuting into the city for work. It’s a round trip of 56 miles. With my 2.0 WRX with Subaru gears and I was getting 26.9 (UK)MPG.

My car is about as quick as a e500 Mercedes wagon off the lights Wink
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 fastback subaru ej22 conversion Reply with quote

sorry I missed your question kai4130... I don't have any gauges (only temp) but I'm thinking im at or above 30mpg. hope to get some working gauges in it this winter.
Jer... you enjoying it? break any parts yet? Laughing

kris
70 Squareback
73 Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: