Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1st Magnaspark II Digital distributor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on the CB Perf crank trigger kit??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update haev the entire kit installed on my notchback. added my vac tubes in the manifolds. the clearancing needed for install on the type three was minimal. the dip switch or connectors need to be facing toward the front of the car vs the instructions to the rear of the car. there is some clearncing on the shroud about the size of a dime. I use a type 4 distributor clamp nut a billet clamp might be a good idea. routing of wires and vacum hoses still up in the air and I am not using the rev limiter. I am very happy so far at a bench run state will take the car on the road tomorrow weather permiting. had a jetting concern prior to the distributor install but have that cleared up (went with 137) the other main challenge is set up initial timing setting is to 30degrees. the type three pulley is not marked well if the pulley had been off the engine I would degree it had to use measuring tape and still think its les than perfect +-1 degree. the connection on the laptop allows you to verify it and reads pretty accurate. we will see what the long term brings but so far it realy looks to be fairly out of the box bolt on upgrade. good work CB I will post photos to my phot bucket once I clean up the vacum routing and tiee down the wires.
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
update haev the entire kit installed on my notchback. added my vac tubes in the manifolds. the clearancing needed for install on the type three was minimal. the dip switch or connectors need to be facing toward the front of the car vs the instructions to the rear of the car. there is some clearncing on the shroud about the size of a dime. I use a type 4 distributor clamp nut a billet clamp might be a good idea. routing of wires and vacum hoses still up in the air and I am not using the rev limiter. I am very happy so far at a bench run state will take the car on the road tomorrow weather permiting. had a jetting concern prior to the distributor install but have that cleared up (went with 137) the other main challenge is set up initial timing setting is to 30degrees. the type three pulley is not marked well if the pulley had been off the engine I would degree it had to use measuring tape and still think its les than perfect +-1 degree. the connection on the laptop allows you to verify it and reads pretty accurate. we will see what the long term brings but so far it realy looks to be fairly out of the box bolt on upgrade. good work CB I will post photos to my phot bucket once I clean up the vacum routing and tiee down the wires.
You mentioned initial timing being 30 degrees? That is not right, I believe in your map initial timing should be set to 15 degrees. You should check to be safe.
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When removing the old distributor to move to 60 btdc this was tricky because no marking on pulley not your fault just an issue with type 3. Drove today and was very very happy with the results was well worth the effort. And you are correct initial timing at 15. Out of the box program is what I am running on will tweek this and sure I will find the overall sweet spot for my application.
webkongen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1641 12psi turbo with digital distributor Reply with quote

bigbee wrote:
After noticing alot of talk about "how will the ditributor work for a turbo motor", I figured it was time for me to post my results so far.

ROAD TEST!
The 10 psi turbo spark table that is pre programmed into the distributor is so far pretty close to what my motor likes, with exeption of moving the boost up to 12psi. The car takes off like never before up to the turbo kicking in. Where before when getting on the throttle from a dead stop it would have to run up to about 1500 rpm before the car would start to pull forward hard, now it happens right off idle! I didnt seem to notice a huge difference after the turbo came in, but the range up to makeing boost has made an incredible difference. Im still playing with the spark table at boost so there might be more there to discover also.

So far I would definately recomend it to any turbo guy.

thanks
Pat, Mark, Rick

After reading this, i ordered the same kit. just what i have been looking for to use on my engine. I have an 1915cc with 40dcoe pulltrough, tsc10 cam and ported heads. Garret T25 turbo. Since i live in Norway, i use engineoil to heat the intake/carb. I have tried to lock a stock dizzy, cranktriggered EDIS with mapsensor, MSD 6AL with manual retard, and now i am testing the Van dizzy form the 2,1wbx, modified for retard on boost. It has never worked out for me, and when i saw the features listed on this product, i searched for the tests, and found yours. So yesterday i ordered the complete magnaspark digital kit. Thanks. Very Happy
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1641 12psi turbo with digital distributor Reply with quote

webkongen wrote:
Since i live in Norway, i use engineoil to heat the intake/carb. I have tried to lock a stock dizzy, cranktriggered EDIS with mapsensor, MSD 6AL with manual retard, and now i am testing the Van dizzy form the 2,1wbx, modified for retard on boost. It has never worked out for me, and when i saw the features listed on this product, i searched for the tests, and found yours. So yesterday i ordered the complete magnaspark digital kit. Thanks. Very Happy

What was the problem with the Edis and crank sensor??/

What were you using for an ecu?

Clonebug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I purchased this dizzy over 3 years ago and I am getting ready to install it. Do you guys have the wiring diagram to hook this to an MSD 6A box?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....... Not knowing the complexity of the distributor... This is only reference I have at this time....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Example holds pretty true for any two wire distributor electronic module and Mallory or MSD ignition box...

The Magnaspark II installation guide can be found here in PDF format...

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2000

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Mark Lawless about it, we will see what he says when he answers. I assume it is hooked up just like how Dale said but at over $300 I am not taking a chance.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so.... is rc still c~ing r's???? Rolling Eyes
on another note.....I got one of the procomp electronics billet vw dist for $60.............. Shocked Rolling Eyes yup the price says it all.they were about $100 then after a few years they lowered thier price.and then I had Idea ..........well I never said I was smart. Wink WTF it's just something else to fix.they wanted to know what all parts I needed to fix it Shocked so I told them what I needed and what all I found rong with it(lotsastuff) then they said they didnt have the parts to fix it but would refund some $$$$. good thing I didnt order 3 of them(one for each of my moters) well that wouldent be bad if they refunded $40 or more on each one. I gess this puts my purchasing now two cb dist farther down the road.......
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its installed and running, I am having a small issue that I have been trying to clean up.

It has a twitch at an idle and I assume its all the time just cant see it. It seems to cut out for a split second like the power was turned off. Visually you only see the tach drop 100 rpm and you feel it stumble.

Its not as noticeable on a warm engine but when cold it will kill it like you turned the car off.

I emailed and called Mark Lawless about it, he said it may be a lean idle issue so I rebuilt the carbs and I think they are fine. I have emailed him back today with a video of the tach and what its doing so we will see.

Tonight I will change the coil out with a blue coil, I have the Magna-spark II super-coil on it right now and its less than 8 months old. But who knows?

Has anyone else had any issues like this with this dizzy or any other ones like it?
Bobalos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im installing mine & had a quick question about the wiring.

The instructions say to connect the + from the dissy to the + on the coil & the - on the Dissy to the - on the coil. but.............. It does not say how to wire up the coil.

I would assume that I want a switched/fused hot wire to the + of the coil, but do I also want a ground wire from the coil to the chassis/- Battery? seems like a small thing, but.............. it should be in the instructions.

There is a bitchen wiring diagram for if you have an MSD box, but I dont. struck me funny.

thanks guys, Happy Thanksgiving.

Bob
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not ground the negative side of the coil to the chassis. That would be a permanent "kill switch"

GEX has. Just sayin
Bobalos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that occurred to me after I sat down & thought about it for a minute. duh............ LOL.

I sent an email to Mark on Thanksgiving, expecting him to get back to me on Monday, but to my surprise he replied to me that day. VERY cool, Cool Im not done cleaning it up, but I did get it running, & it sure seems that the throttle response is better. this is something I was struggling with, with the old distributor. I cant wait to take it for a drive.

thanks again to Mark & CB Performance for all their help.

Bob
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowen71, did you ever get your issue resolved with your distributor? I am having an issue with my Magnaspark digital that might be related. It started having an issue on the freeway aroiund 3300 RPMs on a very slight downhill. It wouild start cutting out and the tach would drop to 0. If I accel or left off gas it wouldl clear up.I tried swapping coils, unplugging my tach at coil-no change. I thought it may have been an issue with my timing map. I messed with it a little, even backed the physical distributor off 5 degrees. Only made it worse. I now can't rev the engine to 3000 without it doing this. If I disconnect the vacuum hose from the distributor it runs fine. I have also been having the starting kickback issue that has been brought up in the black box thread if that means anything. I am going to have to contact CB after the weekend if I can't get any help here. Thanks
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd66 wrote:
bowen71, did you ever get your issue resolved with your distributor?

Todd66, I havent gotten it resolved yet. I have sent it back to CB on direction of Mark Lawless so he can look at it. I have tried everything they have asked, different plugs, plug gap, coil, rewired the engine bay, disconnected my MSD, disconnected my tach, you name it I tried it.

Hooked up my old 009 with pertronix and it runs like a champ. I think its the distributor, I tried to get another one sent but they said its against company policy to send me another one with out testing the old one.

This is a PITA, I drive my car every day its not a weekend car. So I ended up buying new plug wires and hooking up my old stuff so I can send my distributor to them on my dime. $319 for that distributor and it doesn't work right. Sucks!
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a note, I got my issue resolved. After a couple emails with Pat it was concluded it was an issue with the older software in my distributor. It was an easy fix to reset a parameter on the initial timing and problem solved. I had sent them my timing map and they ran it on their test engine. Discovered it ran out of dwell with the advanced initial timing. I am very pleased with the effort Pat and the guys put in to backing up their product.
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a couple months of troubleshooting an issue, I have came to the conclusion this dizzy will not run on my car. I have sold it, Mark Lawless didn't have any issues in their shop.

I don't think the issue is the dizzy, I think its a dizzy in my car issue.

Its gone.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowen,
Did you post a few days ago that your issues was solved? I thought I remember reading that. I guess it was not.
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j-dub wrote:
Bowen,
Did you post a few days ago that your issues was solved? I thought I remember reading that. I guess it was not.

Yes, I did post that. It ran great for a day then started acting up again.

My car rejected that distributor one to many times. I drive my car every day back and forth to work and it was giving me issues that a weekend driver could have lived with but not a daily driver.

I also don't think there was anything wrong with that distributor I think it just wouldn't work with my combo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: