Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Moody 75 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First check boot from air meter to throttle body, see thats it is intact, if it is... then go on line and research l-jetronics how to check fuel pump contacts inside a/f meter. What i thing is happening is fuel pump is energized during cranking(with ign. switch) thats why it starts , but when you release key a/f meter should take over sending power to fuel pump and its not ...causing it to die.
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought came to mind if airflow sensor checks ok is loss of power to coil, there may be power to it during cranking but lose it in run position.
RTope13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i wrong here but in 75 they werent FI engines?
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the life of me i thought he said it was FI....don't get old
ekingtulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardc,

I'm Gimpy's dad, in reading through this post this morning something you said caused me to rethink a discovery I made last night. You said that it may not be getting power in the run position to the coil. That power comes from the dual relay correct?

Last night as I worked through the engine again I noticed that someone had installed a fuse holder with a 16 amp fuse in one of the black wires on the coil. It was blown and the contacts inside are quite corroded. The schematics I've seen show no fuse there so obviously it's a PO mod. I'm getting another fuse today as it's the bullet ended type of bussman but can we just remove it altogether and splice in a new wire???

Yours or anyone else's help to solve this mystery is greatly appreciated . . .

ekingtulsa
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

For the record, the way this set up works is that when you turn the key to the "start" position, one side of the double relay powers up the fuel pump (located under the tank near the right front wheel) so that your son should be able to wiggle under there and feel it vibrate if indeed it is getting power to the pump. This only happens when the starter is running. Y9ou should expect to see 12 volts to the pump and it should pump out about 1L of fuel in 30 seconds.

After the engine starts, the double relay "shifts" to the other side of the relay and the pump runs off a little microswitch insde the AFM unit. Sometimes you have to insert a long skinny screwdriver in there after removing the air cleaner to open the little door that constrols the little swinging door.

Have your son invest $25 in a dwell meter to verify that he has indeed got juice running through the points. Buy this one...

http://www.searsoutlet.com/Dwell-Tach-Volt-Meter/d/product_details.jsp?pid=12234&mode=seeAll

The double relay is about $100, so we test it before we spend real money on a new one....

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5459
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekingtulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Randy will do. It's been a pretty frustrating ordeal trying to get it back on the road . . .
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekingtulsa wrote:
Last night as I worked through the engine again I noticed that someone had installed a fuse holder with a 16 amp fuse in one of the black wires on the coil. It was blown and the contacts inside are quite corroded. The schematics I've seen show no fuse there so obviously it's a PO mod. I'm getting another fuse today as it's the bullet ended type of bussman but can we just remove it altogether and splice in a new wire???

I believe you are looking at a factory fuse. The reverse lights tap power from the coil, through a fuse in the engine compartment and around to the transaxle reverse light switch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: