Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing hardtop
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Thing hardtop Reply with quote

I wonder if any of the big part business such as The Thing shop or Mid America ever gave any thought to having the hard top reproduced. Maybe get then done in China at a good price. I sure would like to have one especially a new one. Just my thoughts. What do you think?
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bulky for China to build and ship them. How many hard tops could be safely shipped in a 40 foot container? I have a friend who used to export motorcycle parts from China. In 2006, business was booming and exporting was cheap. He sold the business in 2012 due in part to the increased costs of manufacturing and shipping.

Fiberjet used to be based out of Northern California (Sacramento area, I believe). Many if not all of the fiberglass manufacturing here left the state due to the crazy regulations and worker's comp. Maybe a US or Mexican company that makes camper shells could do it, but I would guess the demand isn't there to justify the building of the molds and other r&d.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Shoyrtt.

I would add I have a great admiration for The Thing Shop for being successful in a niche market of something that effectively hasn't been produced for 35 or more years, and doesn't have the base numbers like the iconic Beetle. I would worry for them to take on something that would be both a low volume item and a pricey one at that. The mark-up may scare off some potential buyers, and a reduction in a mark-up may eliminate it from being worthwhile.

As for Mid-America, do they make anything? Maybe they do, but I thought they were more a retailer of other companies' products.

The only hope would be a company already in the business of glass fiber production willing to go through the process. Once the mold and process was set, they might be able to make small batches as they are requested.

Let's face it ... the dated Mulholland Look is still available because the mold is still in existence. I'm sure there aren't tons of requests for it these days. The question becomes how does one spark such interest in an existing company.
Nick Schiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I'm not mistaken Mid America started out as a Corvette parts distributor ,then bought out the old Rocky Mountain and grew larger over the years they do however now manufacturer interiors and carpeting for some volkswagen models. as far as the hardtop goes maybe Creative Car Craft would take an interest? I know they're based in the Midwest and already make front fenders for the thing. I have the their fenders on one of my bugs and have to say it's the best fiberglass fenders I've seen.
Nick Schiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.creativecarcraft.com/index.html
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: hard top on CL Reply with quote

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/4765853839.html $350.00 or best?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: