Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wounded Warrior
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Wounded Warrior Reply with quote

Rock verses 181, Rock wins Crying or Very sad

Drove around the block for some maintenance checks and this rock jumped out at me. OK, so it didn't really "jump" out. I had pulled over to the curb to listen to the engine. Didn't see the rock. I must have stopped within a couple of feet cause when I took off, BAM!!!!, Guessing some kids had pushed it into the road the night before. You can see where it was originally. I must have pushed it forward 4 or 5 feet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bumper pierced fender

Yeah, I know I need tires.

Damage appears to be limited to fender and bumper. Small nick in front apron. Managed to pull bumper and fender back out just enough to make it back home under its own power. Right turns were easy, left turns.......not so much.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it could have been worse, but that's pretty bad. I'm glad it's fixable and you're not hurt.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a guy do that with a fire hydrant. He had pulled off the road and didn't see the hydrant. he started to pull away and hit it. It didn't break off because 1) his bumper was high on his truck and 2) the ground was soft due to rain.

The hydrant ended up in his wheel well.

I took him to a gas station where we borrowed a large jack to raise his truck so he could back off the hydrant. Worked like a charm.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you can find a good used fender. The OE fender on that side from TTS has to be one of their most expensive items in stock. Shocked

http://www.thethingshop.com/FRONT-RIGHT-FENDER/productinfo/181821022E/

Edit: Found this on CL Wink

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/4760133446.html
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
Hopefully you can find a good used fender. The OE fender on that side from TTS has to be one of their most expensive items in stock. Shocked

http://www.thethingshop.com/FRONT-RIGHT-FENDER/productinfo/181821022E/

Edit: Found this on CL Wink

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/4760133446.html

Yeah, that one is posted on Samba as well. It's a bit roachy for my tastes.

I found another one on Samba in Imperial Beach. Waiting for a response back on that one. Also waiting for a response from a person in Ironwood Mich. FWITW, the fenders in Santa Cruz are gone.

Hagartey is sending an appraiser over in the next couple of days. 0$ deductible so maybe I can convince them for the Thing Shop fender. Razz
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to see that but it could be worse. Please let me know how Hagarty treated you because I just changed my insurance to them . Everyone I have talked to said they were great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: minor blemish Reply with quote

Hey Semper,

x2 on you not getting hurt, so sorry about the Thing, you do have to be careful when "off roading" Very Happy

DAMN those Meddling Kids who put that rock out there!

But, it doesn't look too bad to repair though. Hopefully Haggerty will treat you right, I know quite a few folks with them, funny tho, they didnt cut me a very good price when I checked with them a few yrs back. But a lot of the classic car folks I work with are with Haggerty, supposed to be top notch.

Also, as a moment of opportunity, I was going to say, if you wanted to make any changes/upgrades to the THING, now would give you a reason to do so. (not that you need to, but since work is going to occur, repaint, etc)
but it seems that in these situations, when you gotta fix it, if there were any plans to do 'this or that' that now would be the time (as long as it's affordable).
Probably a "capitan obvious moment" but thought i'd mention.

please keep us posted on how it goes.

Sorry again for your troubles,

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update.

Hagarty is in the process of cutting a check in the neighborhood of $1900. Pretty quick and hassle free process so far. Supplemental payments can be made if any further damage is discovered on disassembly. $1300 covers parts, the rest is for paint and labor. They didn't seem to mind about Thing Shop prices. I'm still looking for a good looking used fender. One that would need little prep.

A couple of questions.
Q1. Should I attempt to repair the original bumper? It's bent, but not torn. Anybody attempt it? Looks to me it could be pressed back in shape and powdercoated for less money than a repop bumper.

Q2. Are fenders painted before or after mounting. Appears in factory photos they were painted after mounting.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have straighten bumpers. If you can find someone with a press would be best. The shape of yours, find one. Fenders were painted on the car at the factory, that is why there is fender spacers so the beading can be installed after paint. You will find that the white undercoat was put on over the bolts and painted from factory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IHC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a thing once that had hit a concrete post head on. The bumper looked like the letter u. Took it to an old fashioned blacksmith shop. The guy straightened it with out any heat and the paint even survived. That was 10 years ago and the guy charged me about 50 bucks.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed all the headlight pieces. Turn signal bulb holder is still on the fender because the front mounting bolt wants to turn (it's not supposed to). Not very much "head" on the mounting stud to grab onto. Last resort will be to grind or cut the dang thing and replace it with a regular nut/bolt setup.

Got the old fender off without too much trouble. Hardest part was digging the undercoat out from around the fender bolts. I don't think this fender has ever been removed from the car. Fender welt came off in good shape and in one piece.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long overdue update.

Found a pair (left and right) NOS fenders in Yuma, AZ for $600. Seller didn't want to breakup the pair so I both them both. Figure I'll sell the left fender for $400 and buy me some new tires down the road. Saved at least $400 over buying a single NOS right fender from the Thing Shop.

Got the bumper "straighten out" ($150), and powdercoated ($150). Can't tell it's ever been hit. I figured that saved be at least $150 over buying a repop front bumper from The Thing Shop.

Had the body shop repair the ding on the front apron and then paint both apron and fender ($450)

Today I got the electrical in the headlight bucket all back in order. Having a bit of trouble getting the headlight assembly inside the bucket. I can't seem to remember where the spring connects to. Anybody have a good picture?

Opened up the left headlight assembly but that spring appears to be missing also.

Here's a picture of the rear of the RIGHT side headlight assembly. Adjustment screws are at the 12 (vertical) and 3 o'clock (horizontal) positions respectably. Where does the spring hook to and from?

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's all back together.

New fender, re-straightened and powdercoated bumper. For good measure, installed some Hella H4 headlights and new chrome headlight rings. Once the battery finishes charging up I'll get to see whether I got the electrical right.

Need to find a place to relocate the radio antenna. I didn't have the heart to reinstall it back on the fender.

The headlight rings from Kubelmann are absolutely perfect.

Before

After

Now I need to find the time for:
Oil Change
Valve Adjust
Brake Adjust
Tune-up/Timing Check
New tires (something more aggressive) Twisted Evil

Laughing
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, Semper!

How far did they take the paint?
From that pic, the bumper looks real good!

Glad she's back in action!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Looks good, Semper!

How far did they take the paint?
From that pic, the bumper looks real good!

The paint went from the front apron back to the body angle just forward of the door

The bumper is perfect. Can't tell it's ever been hit. The powder coat is awesome. A bit flatter than the body. I'm very happy with it

The bad news is I need to work out some electrical problems. I must have hooked something up wrong. The gen light come on when I hook up the battery (ign. Off). No smoke though. Battery is disconnected for now. Will try again next week.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little icing for the cake. Upgraded to some bigger tires. Surprisingly, quieter, and easier to turn.

I didn't have the heart to remount the radio antenna in its original location (on the passenger fender). I'll have to come up with a better idea.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great - and awesome tires!
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of a strange footnote to all this,...

On the way home from the tire shop I heard what I though was a bad wheel bearing on the right front side. After some further investigation I discovered that the right front rim was rubbing on the steering knuckle arm. 0 Clearance. Checked the left side and had at least 3/8th. Swapped the left to the right and sure enough, no clearance on the right. So,....apparently this is RIM specific. Moved one of the rears to the front and now have clearance.

Just how much clearance should there be between rim and knuckle arm? I believe I have stock wheels.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the clearance off hand, but I have heard that there are 14" bus rims that look very similar to Thing rims, but have the wrong off-set. I forget how to tell the difference between the two off hand.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverThing wrote:
I don't know the clearance off hand, but I have heard that there are 14" bus rims that look very similar to Thing rims, but have the wrong off-set. I forget how to tell the difference between the two off hand.

Kinda thinking the same thing. That's why I asked the question on clearance. I looked for any makings. Couldn't find anything but could be under paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: