Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New start up question breaking in cam with new carbs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: New start up question breaking in cam with new carbs Reply with quote

So I have a long way to go before I start up my new build but I have a question about that. I will be installing new dual weber 40s and have set them up according to the weber book which states the car will idle very low almost like a tractor when it first starts up. The next step is to set the mixture speed so on and so on, well the cam manufacture states no idling and rev it to 2k for twenty minutes.
How is in the hell am I supposed to rev it up for 20 minutes when it will take a few minutes (probably longer for me) to set the carbs ?
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sync them by eye, even if it's a little off you'll can rev the engine, you'll go with carb settings after cam break in.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about the carbs on first startup. The most important thing is to break in the cam the way the manufacturer suggests. After the cam is broken in, THEN adjust the carbs.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. One I've been thinking about as well. I plan to use a set of already set up carbs, even though they aren't the ones I plan to use after its broken in and on the road.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have questions about your jetting, it's a good idea to err on the rich side for break in. A freshly built motor runs hot to begin with, no sense possibly running lean, and even hotter.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
If you have questions about your jetting, it's a good idea to err on the rich side for break in. A freshly built motor runs hot to begin with, no sense possibly running lean, and even hotter.

X2
Idles =1.5 x intake valve
Mains= 4 x venturi, 4.1 mini strokers, 4.2 bigger strokers
I do it this way also. In regards to the initial adjustments upon starting, go 2 full turns from plate closed to open. Keep a screwdriver in your pocket to adjust down/up once u got it running. 2 turns will be around 2k. Dont panic, youll have time when its running. It takes a few min to get warm..

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I will make sure to rev it up right away like Engle suggests
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: