Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wi-Fi Tech A/V System
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertgriner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Wi-Fi Tech A/V System Reply with quote

I want a wireless A/V solution for my Westy: Wireless video to iPads is the priority and if I could get wireless input to the onboard stereo that would be an added bonus. Basically, a wireless solution so my kids could watch my digital videos from the iPads while on road trips, etc.

Here's ion:
• Dash out
• 2 First Gen iPads
• Extra computer hard drives
• 2 boys
• A bit of computer tech no-how
• Fearless with attacking a project.

Has anyone brought their Vanagon into the 21st century with great A/V technology of the wi-fi variety? I need a good detailed plan to follow that includes something like a Wi-Fi router and Hard Drive to store audio and video on that can be streamed to iPads (and possibly a new stereo with bluetooth or other wireless input). Have used headphones with the iPads, and am considering bluetooth headphones for the boys.

And -- anyone put 6 x 9s (or 5 x 7 -- which fits best?) in the rear ceiling space by enlarging the 4" holes? I need a bit more volume, but realize I'll never have great quality due to all the external, and engine, noise.

I'm going for a video solution that will build on my home video (all digital stuff ripped to my iTunes). I can't remember the last time I used a DVD to watch a video.

Again, I can dream it, and even build it, but no very little about needed components and design.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my tech ignorance but what exactly are you trying to do that the ipads don't already have the ability to do? There are certainly in-dash blu-tooth recievers that can wirelessly handle the sound output from blu-tooth enabled tablets. Can't you load and watch video onto the ipad while playing the sound through a stereo? What more are you looking to to?
robertgriner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Excuse my tech ignorance but what exactly are you trying to do that the ipads don't already have the ability to do? There are certainly in-dash blu-tooth recievers that can wirelessly handle the sound output from blu-tooth enabled tablets. Can't you load and watch video onto the ipad while playing the sound through a stereo? What more are you looking to to?

I want to load my movies (and audio) onto a hard drive. [The iPads only have 32G of space and get filled up relatively quickly.] Attach the hard drive to a wi-fi router. Then have my kids be able to stream their video (or audio) from the hard drive to their iPads while we travel. They use headphones and can watch different videos (possibly). Now that I think about it, I'm not sure the hard drive can share two different files simultaneously. I "might" have to use 2 hard drives and 2 wi-fi routers. -- See...that's why I need someone with a bit more tech knowledge.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was my situation I would use the Bluetooth on my MacBook to connect to the ipad. I could leave the MacBook hidden somewhere (and plugged into to 12V) and the kids could use their ipad out and about.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
robertgriner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
If it was my situation I would use the Bluetooth on my MacBook to connect to the ipad. I could leave the MacBook hidden somewhere (and plugged into to 12V) and the kids could use their ipad out and about.

Dave, great tip -- however my MacBook Pro doesn't even host all the GIGs of videos that I have. My video/audio library resides on an external drive at home too. I'd have a MacBook Pro with an external drive all hooked up, the transmitting as we go.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were kids, we'd counted stuff out the window of the car. Times were simpler then.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do what I'm doing at home--running a Drobo with Plex installed:

http://www.drobo.com/drobo-solutions/media/plex/

In a nutshell, the Drobo is a RAID mass storage device with a lightweight back-end operating system installed that can run certain Drobo-built applications. Plex is one of those apps. Your various iPads, iPhones, Samsung TVs, and many other consumer products run the Plex client to receive the media streams:

https://plex.tv

Among all the media center software, I like Plex the most. I use it at home to serve up (wirelessly) my ever-expanding collection of movies, TV shows, home media (photos and movies) and music. Right now it's hosting about 2 terabytes out of an available 5 terabytes (it's a 10TB Drobo with RAID 5 configuration, so the actual available space due to striping is more like 5TB).

The Drobo is small enough device, with low enough power consumption, and sufficiently robust disks (you could use SSDs as well) to live in a Vanagon. The way I would do it in your case is build a grab-and-go Drobo Plex setup that would live online at home most days, and would then pack into a small box with padding and power provisions for easy connection in the van.

This is a totally enterprise system, but it would work. I thought about it myself, but realized I don't really need access to my media when I'm camping, and I don't have children to entertain. If I think I will want movies on the road, I predict what I want to watch, download it from the Plex media web interface to my iPad, and then hang the iPad in the van from the poptop latch and run the audio into the stereo, thus creating the world's coziest movie theater. I realize, however, that others might have different needs that would justify a more elaborate system like I propose with the Drobo and Plex.

I've also taken the "pay via data" approach and have simply streamed the Plex media from my home over the internet to wherever I am. I did this over Memorial Day--streaming "Jaws" to the van, parked on the beach in Port Aransas, TX, from the Drobo running Plex at my home in Austin. The cost wasn't too bad--about $5 for the data bolus over the 4G cellular network for that movie. I did the same thing in Romania once, but streaming for free over the hotel wifi. In essence, I have access to my media all over the world.

To do what I propose you essentially have the Drobo, powered by DC from the van, connected to a small wifi router. That gives you the local network to stream multiple video streams of whatever content anyone wants to their wifi device in or near the van. You could be driving down the road and three different passengers could be enjoying three different media streams served by the Drobo.

It's not cheap, but will work like a charm. Let me know if you actually do this--I love the "think big" idea here. Since I became a Vanagon owner, I have been forced to accept that my mantra is "spare no expense" and I'm sure others know what I'm talking about.

kourt
austin, tx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robertgriner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kourt"]You can do what I'm doing at home--running a Drobo with Plex installed:

Kourt, sounds like your a bit of a techy. I used to be for a long time...then I converted to Mac and now have time to work on the bus more Smile

I wish that Apple TV was wireless in transmitting. I'd be gold if that were the case.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
You can do what I'm doing at home--running a Drobo with Plex installed:

I didn't even think I cared about having my van this hi-tech. But after reading this, thinking about how cool it would be for home usage (I have lots of music), and then realizing how easy it all sounds to grab-and-go into the van...

Damn you Samba.
robertgriner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just chased out an old email and discovered this:

- wireless router (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6/ref=as...4BO7HC5MSN -- http://goo.gl/Fza3qx)
- download the App "HooToo Tripmate"

I'm looking into it more, but I "think" the App serves as the software (like Plex or iTunes) to read the hard drive.

You'd basically install the app on the iPad, iPhone, whatever, and it reads through the router directly to the hard drive. No need for another device like a computer in the mix.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by robertgriner on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:42 am; edited 2 times in total
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Drobo/Plex solution has guided a lot of other purchases. For instance, our Samsung TVs at home all have Smart TV software, with the Plex client, so that media streams directly to the TV from the Drobo. If I want to listen to music, I turn on the TV (with surround sound) and activate the Plex client via the TV's remote control. Bam--40GB of music at my fingertips, with cover art and full track list displayed on the TV. If I want a movie, I just navigate with the TV remote over to the movie section and start a movie--or resume where I left off on some old movie--Plex does all that seamlessly with lots of major brand consumer products.

The way I used to do it was connect a Mac Mini to the TV and basically use the TV as a giant computer display, with keyboard and mouse. Pretty clunky, and forget trying to teach it to your less-tech-savvy spouse.

We had a Roku for a while--that's an easy and cheap way to get Plex content on a TV. Also, Chromecast devices work with Plex as well. The Chromecast dongle plugs into the HDMI port in the back of a TV and accepts whatever is sent to it, wirelessly. For something like $25.

Apple TV is fine, but it's a fairly closed system compared to Plex. Plex plays with lots of other devices and media formats, and is about as close to a universal platform as you can get.

I'm a 100% MacOS house myself--two MacBook laptops--so this is totally not difficult technology and totally within the realm of anyone who feels safe tinkering with Vanagons.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robertgriner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Yeah, the Drobo/Plex solution has guided a lot of other purchases. kourt

I'm tracking with you. My wife creates a lot of home movies and places them on iTunes too. I know it's exclusivistic to Apple, but it was easier to go this route when there used to be "so" many issues with video codecs, etc.

I think the HooToo Tripmate route might be great for the mobile setting.
unplannedbbq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: wifi HD as simple solution Reply with quote

Haven't used it, but western digital has 1tb and 2tb drives - with built in WiFi. They also have an accompanying iPad app.

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wireless-Mobile-Sto...hard+drive

I'd look for an SSD (no moving parts) solution like this - it would all fit behind the dash, and you could upload content from a computer via wifi or USB to the drive, then have all your stuff on the iPad.

"However not an ideal swap unless it was all you had and you needed to escape some distopian 3rd world country." - Mongoswede
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: wifi HD as simple solution Reply with quote

unplannedbbq wrote:
Haven't used it, but western digital has 1tb and 2tb drives - with built in WiFi. They also have an accompanying iPad app.

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wireless-Mobile-Sto...hard+drive

I'd look for an SSD (no moving parts) solution like this - it would all fit behind the dash, and you could upload content from a computer via wifi or USB to the drive, then have all your stuff on the iPad.

Exactly what I was going to recommend. Don't perminantly install it, but you could keep it in the glove box.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wireless-Portable-Bu...mp;sr=1-51
robertgriner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the "idea" of a portable HDD with wifi, but my external drives have usually had a pretty short life span. I'd rather not tie my wifi and hard drive together in one package.

I've got several older HDDs that are too small for normal use, but I could easily recycle them for mobile A/V use. Simply copy my iTunes library from my main drive over to it. If it dies, crashes, or gets corrupt I can just replace it with another and not have to find another wifi hard drive.

Ideally, an SSD would be the best since it has not moving parts, but I don't have the money for a new one of significant size.

Right now...I spend $15 on the wifi router, use one of my existing HDDs and I'm good to go!
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased one of these off of Amazon Prime
https://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10618

I have all of our iTunes movies stored in it for road trips. Pretty cool little setup and easy to use.

Matt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: