Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 vert
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: 68 vert Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
pictures of my new acquisition, a LHD '68 convertible in pretty good condition.
Early indications show, however that the pan is from an earlier model, as it has the twist knob for the heater, (something I would like to change)
Bodywork is in good condition, no signs of filler, rocker covers have been replaced at some point and from what I can see through the heater vents, inside looks ok.
Fortunately when I went to see it, the new carpets weren't yet glued down and all the soundproofing is missing so I could see that the pan is in good condition.
The engine is a 1641 with porsche fan, which I am in 2 minds about with regards to returning it to stock, as there is obviously no heating, in fact apart from a new pair of heat exchangers, all parts of the heating/ventilation system are missing, including the under dash levers.
Currently debating whether th do a RHD conversion.
Also looking to replace the rather tired looking stock seats, maybe a pair of early 911 seats.
Colour wise, I was tempted to change it, maybe a pale yellow or gun metal metallic, but I think white is growing on me.
More pics from underneath to follow.
I have to say, this is a fantastic community of owners, having read through some of the restoration jobs , it really is an inspiring group of like minded people!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Ghia!

I personally like white Smile

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that colour Lotus White by any chance? I have a '68 coupé about to be painted, and I still have to choose the right colour.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The engine is a 1641 with porsche fan, which I am in 2 minds about with regards to returning it to stock, as there is obviously no heating, in fact apart from a new pair of heat exchangers, all parts of the heating/ventilation system are missing, including the under dash levers.
Currently debating whether th do a RHD conversion.
Also looking to replace the rather tired looking stock seats, maybe a pair of early 911 seats.
Colour wise, I was tempted to change it, maybe a pale yellow or gun metal metallic, but I think white is growing on me.
More pics from underneath to follow.

Take your time, figure out whats what. Fix/replace the missing items. Dont make any quick expensive decisions...the longer guys own a ghia the more their tastes seem to go in a stock looking direction. Its expensive to do everything several times. Your seats may be from the early pan as they dont appear to be high back. Car looks pretty nice Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely that is just a cheap porsche fan clone, that are just for looks. they are reputed to be lousy at actually cooling because there are no vanes inside to direct the air. I would switch that out first. Have fun.
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kiwighia, not sure if it is lotus white, I was wondering the same myself, but don't have anything to reference against.
When it's next to my Touareg, which is also white it looks more of an off-White colour.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:
Hi kiwighia, not sure if it is lotus white, I was wondering the same myself, but don't have anything to reference against.
When it's next to my Touareg, which is also white it looks more of an off-White colour.

If it's the original paint it has to be Lotus White as that was the white they used in 1968. It's more creamy than white and closer to ivory, I think. I'm going to try and duplicate it in a modern paint when my car is ready for it, maybe early January. Keep in touch and I'll let you have the formula we used.
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel, plan is to just use it for the moment, (well, when the weather improves!) I have a few gremlins to sort out first, like the indicators, (correct relay on order) and engine stuff, it has a 1641 engine with porschealike fan, remote oil cooler and electric fuel pump, the latter is also giving me a headache as the relay for it isn't triggering. My plan is to rip all this out and return air/oil cooling back to stock, also a stock fuel pump.
I have a list of things I would like to do with the car, first on the list is a RHD conversion, toying with the idea of doing it myself. Firstly I will be getting a new garage built next year, which will give me the space to pull the body.
I would like to give the pan a good clean up and paintjob, the metal is solid, there are no carpets or tar board, so I suspect a PO has partially restored it, then investigate the body.
kiwighia68, it's not the original colour, I found a speck of that under the bonnet, it's a dark, slightly greyish blue, however I'm hoping that whoever did the respray used an original colour, so it may be lotus white.
I will also strip down the hood and check it all over, I used to own a RHD convertible 20 years ago and did the same on that, so that'll be no problem.
This is the one I used to own

Then i had it restored and resprayed porsche guards red, seats were from a scirocco.

Then a few years ago I put the reg number into google and this came up! I'd love to know what happened to it after I sold it
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Wow. I can imagine how you felt seeing that pic. I've tried, but never re-found my first ghia from the 80's, maybe a good thing Cool

Sounds like you have a good game plan. Going back to original cooling both air and oil and mech fuel pump ...will def make it more reliable and desirable. Carry on! Feel free to post more pics Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was surprised to find it, looks a bit like a resto in reverse!
More pics will follow, busy at work at the moment, 2 movies and a TV show in the pipeline.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: