Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

O2 sensor wire
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: O2 sensor wire Reply with quote

I have an 1985 1.9 litre which does not have an O2 sensor because Australian models did not require them until later due to more relaxed emissions standards at the time.

I have recently bought an O2 sensor as a spare (before I discovered it didn't have one) and a new exhaust which has an O2 sensor hole so I thought I may as well install the O2 sensor to hopefully improve the gas milage a little.

The problem is my wiring harness does not have the green wire and from reading another post, this green wire is a special shielded coax wire so it looks like I can't just use a normal wire.

Can anyone confirm whether the special green wire was used on the single wire O2 sensors on the 1.9 litre and if so, where I can get one or how to make one?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your ECU has the provisions for the O2 sensing system there is no use in trying to add the sensor.

One of the sensor's jobs is to make sure there is the correct level of oxygen in the exhaust for the cat to function properly so if you don't have a cat then there is that much less reason to add the sensor. With careful tuning of the AFM you can get both good gas mileage and low emissions without the sensor. For what it is worth, the gas mileage on my 83 1/2 went down when I fixed my sensor.

If you do add a sensor you might consider added a heated sensor, the heater allows the sensor to come on line all that much faster after startup.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there is no O2 on the system I'll ask: Does the engine have a carburetor (or is that carburettor down there)?
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Unless your ECU has the provisions for the O2 sensing system there is no use in trying to add the sensor.

One of the sensor's jobs is to make sure there is the correct level of oxygen in the exhaust for the cat to function properly so if you don't have a cat then there is that much less reason to add the sensor.

My understanding is that the ECU is the same, it just runs in open loop control with respect to O2 with no sensor connected. But it doesn't have a cat converter so maybe I shouldn't bother

Ahwahnee wrote:
Does the engine have a carburetor (or is that carburettor down there)?

Actually it is carby down here, but it is definitely a Digijet fuel injection system.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you check the part number on your ECU and get back to us.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: