Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon "abducter" wanted for questioning, AZ
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kpho.com/story/27444380/pcso-investigates-possible-child-luring-near-bus-stop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to wonder where this picture came from. The official police statement does not include a photo and mentions nothing about "fake plates".

I hope somebody didn't just find a picture of a white Vanagon and post it. I'd be pissed if it was my van and that was the case.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon "abducter" wanted for questioning, AZ Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
BlueGrasser wrote:

Here's a slightly better photo:

Here's an even better pic....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gentlemen:

Lynching is not cool. How about we all plead with the owner of the van to speak to the local police? With those window stickers and the "Jesus Fish", this person will not be able to stay under the radar. Maybe this person has absolutely nothing to do with the luring incident(s).

I hope the owner is able to speak to police before the gunslingers on this thread do. Remember that the child involved thought the white van "looked like" the one in the posted picture. What if it was your van that someone mistakenly took a picture of?

I fully expect that the local police will have better abilities to track the owner of this van than any of the lynch mob will and will get to the bottom of the matter.

No man needs to prove his disgust at sexual predators by advocating lynching. Remember that convicted pedophiles get what they deserve in prison(from other prisoners), after being proven guilty, so please leave the macho lynching comments unsaid and let justice work. Sheesh!

Maybe most importantly, the whole story shows that people are doing a good job of "stranger proofing" kids these days. Kudos to the child's parents. Shame on the would-be lynch mob.

Deep breath . . . okay, rant over.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a photo from my neighborhood facebook page taken in my neighborhood.They have started a FB page you can join... 'San tan valley hippy van watch!'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That news story makes a link to a Vanagon pretty weak. The way I read it is a girl reads a facebook post about a white van in her neighborhood on Wednesday. The next morning, she sees a white van that simply drives by, freaks out and reports it. So the decision that it was a Vanagon rests with a young student who's already jumpy and freaked out? Hmmmmm. This connection to a Vanagon seems improper if thats all they've got.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
That news story makes a link to a Vanagon pretty weak. The way I read it is a girl reads a facebook post about a white van in her neighborhood on Wednesday. The next morning, she sees a white van that simply drives by, freaks out and reports it. So the decision that it was a Vanagon rests with a young student who's already jumpy and freaked out? Hmmmmm. This connection to a Vanagon seems improper if thats all they've got.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I am thinking it may not be legit also. The Vanagon with such obvious stickers (and the fact it is a Vanagon and not a panel) makes it the worst choice of vans. Its so easy to accuse now days... and people are ready to lynch in a heartbeat without any evidence.
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

^Ditto. But according to a Facebook post: "In the comments section one of the girls states that her brother-in-law is a police officer and ran the plate for her... I guess the plate came back not matching the Westy. So either the plate or the van is stolen....or both. Here's a photo of the van. The original post is about the sketchy driver parking around schools. I'd like to get this van back to it's owner and bonus points if we help take a creeper of the streets while we're at it."

Of course, ^that's provided the correct plate number was given to the BIL. The van was spotted in Apache Junction, San Tan Valley, and Mesa; so it's obviously on the move. Chances are, it's out of that area at this point.

If this is a stolen van, why has no one publicized that their van is missing?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old white VW van with stickers in the window. 'Guess I won't be driving it to AZ for a while. Sheriff Joe has never been known to profile before has he?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the DC snipers spree a few years ago? They did a shooting a few miles from Richmond and were reported to have been seen in a white LWB Mopar minivan. At the time I happened to be driving a white LWB Mopar minivan and believe me, you would not want the attention I was getting during that brief period.
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and in the end, they were actually moving around in a reddish brown ~'86 Caprice Classic sedan shooting through a little hole in the trunk if I remember correctly. It goes to show just how wrong/misinformed even the most well-intentioned witness accounts can be Eh?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks likle Creepy Rob Lowe behind the wheel too!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture of the guy in the side mirror looks Photoshopped to me. It doesn't seem that the man's head would actually fill the mirror and at that straight-on angle of he were sitting in the driver's seat.

Ed
Solrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole thing is strewn with random information and nothing really solid, which makes it all the more confusing as to what exactly we are in fact searching for......but I will keep my eye out in the area....its true that you hardly ever see another Vanagon driver in Phoenix Metro, so if he's out there, shouldn't be too hard to spot, especially with the chickenhawks sticker. Razz Boy am I glad my van isn't white! Shocked
Gone but not forgotten:
71 Super Beetle - Gretel
92 Jetta GL - Jerry
97 Passat TDI - Penny
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:
The picture of the guy in the side mirror looks Photoshopped to me. It doesn't seem that the man's head would actually fill the mirror and at that straight-on angle of he were sitting in the driver's seat.

Ed

totally agree. Note that the driver's window is part way up/down, yet the face photo is so consistent. Not impossible I guess, but it just doesn't seem right.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems waaaaay over blown by rumor mill moms on facebook.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is horsepucky and we've just been played. SambaSnopes says "BS meter pegged"
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: