Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock ride height
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
invinsiboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: stock ride height Reply with quote

What is the stock ride height for a 71 fastback and were do u measure from. when measuring how much gas should I have in the tank. Can you adjust the lower and upper torsion bars. My fastback look like the front is lower than it should be. I don't know if the last person lower it. The back of my fastback is much high than the front so I don't think someone lowered it . I am comparing my fastback to my squareback which is a 68. any help would be nice and if more info is need let me know thanks.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chrome strip at the bottom of the door (sill panel) should be level front to back. The measurement is between 8.5 and 9 inches if I remember right, but for your gauge, as long as it's level you are fine.

The two lower arms get indexed like the rears. The top arms just connect the sway bar.
invinsiboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I can make adjustments to the front. By indexing the lower torsion bar. The top torsion have know adjustments right. I just want to make sure is under stand. thanks for the reply
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the sticky threads for lowering advice. Also it would be good to have a Big Brown Bentley to consult.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Check the sticky threads for lowering advice. Also it would be good to have a Big Brown Bentley to consult.

Yup, front end adjusting is by the lower trailing arms. Keep in mind that you'll also have to re-set the toe in as well (changes to the ride height cause changes to the toe in). The brown Bentley is your friend here, as are the lowrering threads, as they offer some "precautions" that you should be aware of.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
beetlejc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to butt in with a related question. As I am rebuilding my front-end soon with a new beam, re-assembling it to roughly stock ride height from being previously slammed: What angle should the lower trailing arms be to get me close to stock or just a slight lowering?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlejc wrote:
I'd like to butt in with a related question. As I am rebuilding my front-end soon with a new beam, re-assembling it to roughly stock ride height from being previously slammed: What angle should the lower trailing arms be to get me close to stock or just a slight lowering?

Depends upon where the rear sits and if you're planning to make any changes to the rear as well.

Check the sticky up top for lowering/adjusting threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride height is 'trial & error' but is easy to change in the front if your not happy with the stance/rake. I have just adjusted using inner splines & was able to make myself happy without changing the outer splines. You won't know anything until you put it together back down on the wheels.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What angle should the lower trailing arms be to get me close to stock or just a slight lowering?

The bentley has the stock angle that the trailing arms should be for stock ride height. You can download an app for your phone that can measure the angles quite well. then you can do adjustments from there.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
beetlejc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.
Had I known there was an app, I wouldn't have bought my angle finder from Lowe's! Adjusting the front doesn't sound as labor intensive as the (Beetle)rears I've done in the past. I'm probably imagining this as being a lot more difficult than it really is. (PITA) I was hoping to minimize the amount of trial and error so it's good to know Bentley has the angles.

Thanks again for the input.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bobnotch said, get a hold of the Bentley. Some of the Amazon used book sellers should have them; the ISBN is 083760057X
To set the front torsion arms to the correct angle according to Bentley you need a special protractor from VW. It's a tool that only an old time VW mechanic is likely to have.

A good starting point is to set the rear axle spring plates. For that, look at chapter 1, pages 71-72. You have to remove the axle from the spring plate so that the spring plate hangs by its own weight. An angle of 23° is specified for your model. Since you have to put that corner on a jack stand you also need to determine the car's axis deviation from horizontal. Get the Bentley!

However, that 23° will give you a camber that may not give you even tire wear across the width of the tire. Fortunately, since you have IRS your car's camber is less affected by ride height than a swing axle is. Once you have the rear set the way you like it you can set the front torsion bars to give you a level ride. Like Mike said, it's a trial and error process; you're not likely to be satisfied the first try.

I had to compromise on my Notchback. The RR is 5 mm higher than the LR, and the LF is 3 mm higher than the RF. I think the floorpan might have been bent in an accident. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To set the front torsion arms to the correct angle according to Bentley you need a special protractor from VW. It's a tool that only an old time VW mechanic is likely to have.

I've used the VW tool, and used the level phone app to set the front angle, both work.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: