Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Thing Shop" 5 point "show bars" pho
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikey Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: "The Thing Shop" 5 point "show bars" pho Reply with quote

Hi Folks, I know roll/show bars have been beaten to death on here but I have a specific request.

The show bars from TTS are $540 US and shipping alone is $300 to NJ (freight). I'm not sure i want to pull the trigger on this specific bar without having some other visuals as to what i'm getting. This bar is basically being used as attachment points for 3 point conventional seat belts front and rear as i have young(er) children and i'm trying to do the most i can to increase what little safety there is in this car.

I'm not sure how I feel about how they look yet as the only picture TTS has on their site is pretty poor from a composition standpoint. I can't really tell what the hell they will look like or if the front bar (B-pillar) is canted far enough behind the front passengers head.

So, i'm looking for some clear photos of TTS 5 point bars specifically and any other information or personal thoughts on the matter. I see many in the gallery that COULD be them but I can't be sure.

Thanks in advance,

MB
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Thing Shop" 5 point "show bars" Reply with quote

Mikey Thing wrote:

... and any other information or personal thoughts on the matter.

If you a building a cage for safety and to attach seat belts, you should look into having a 6 point cage built for you in NJ. Less $ and you can have it built to your exact specifications. The "show bars" are just that, for show. They have no triangulation or gussets and I don't think they even come with 3 point seat belt mounting points, you would have to have them fabricated.
My .02 Wink
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Shoyrtt says, so now you are up to .04¢

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 5 point from TTS.It is thicker than stock and it is very strong to the point that I think it would help in a rollover.The bar at the seats has a nice slant to it as to not to interfere with anything.I mounted a 3 point belt system attaching the harness to the bar with a cold rolled steel clamp.Not adviseable to drill into the bar.All of the mounting points attach to the body using strong backing plates.It is a nice looking powder coated black and in my opinion it is worth the money.
Mikey Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videoguy009 is actually correct.

I'm less concerned with the structural reliability of the TTS bar as the "show bars" are made as well, if not better than O.E.M. They are only called show bars because the lawyers got involved and that's how it is. Harness points for the belts would be welded as they should be.

As for having them fabricated here in NJ, I tried that. I visited no less than 10 welding/fabrication shops in my area and no one wanted to touch it BECAUSE it would be so custom. The one source I found through a friend builds only SCCA certified cages for track cars and he said it would be upward of $2500 to do it.

So, if Videoguy can send me some great pics, (more the better) I could probably make a decision on this.

Thanks!

MB
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't want to call them roll bars because if anyone got hurt they would assume liability.That's what TTS told me.I will send some pics this morning.I have the sound bar system and the padded covers on the bars.
Mikey Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, thank you Videoguy.

if it's easier you can email directly to [email protected]

thanks!
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going to ask that.On their way.
jjrannauro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello here is a little video about the show bar from The Thing Shop that I posted in Face Book Club VW Safari de Mexico. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10151500929406190&set=o.329864186994&type=2&theater
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link not available it says
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the TTS 5 point bar, sorry I don't have any pictures, I have the car stripped down at the moment getting ready for paint. As videoguy says it is very sturdy, I would feel confident mounting seat belts to it. I'll add it was nicely packed in a very sturdy box on a pallet, the parts in heavy felt sleeves. It consists of the front bar, the rear assembly, and two short bars to connect them overhead. I became interested in it when I realized in addition to the floor it also bolts to the pillar between the doors. I didn't like the way the pillar flexes when I shut the front doors. The bar really stiffens things up, the doors shut nice and solid now. Thing Shop stuff can be expensive, but I haven't been dissapointed yet.
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2
jjrannauro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

videoguy009 wrote:
Link not available it says
Just jin the group in order to see the video. https://www.facebook.com/groups/329864186994/?fref=ts
Mikey Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you KAmes... (& Videoguy) it's on order!
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your new bar.You won't regret it.
zachbunny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTS "show bar" is a great product! saved my life once already when i rolled my thing. only parts that were damaged were the fenders and front beam...which was a bug beam anyways. Oh and my brand new TTS convertible top Sad
Only complaint is with the 7 point bar you can't use your sun visors...so i just took the two front points off and made a loop so i could still use those visors...plus it looked cool.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zachbunny wrote:
TTS "show bar" is a great product! saved my life once already when i rolled my thing. only parts that were damaged were the fenders and front beam...which was a bug beam anyways. Oh and my brand new TTS convertible top Sad
Only complaint is with the 7 point bar you can't use your sun visors...so i just took the two front points off and made a loop so i could still use those visors...plus it looked cool.

Ouch! Did you get it fixed? (TTS convertible top is really nice too)
zachbunny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, it's been sitting calling my name. but with 6 vw's and two garages gotta just set some projects aside for a bit.

yeah those tops are( was only maybe a month old too)...probably the hardest i've ever cried right there.
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey,did you get your show bar
Mikey Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet... i'm waiting to see if my mechanic needs any other parts before i order to save on shipping. but it is definitely happening...

Merry Christmas everyone!

M
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: