Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

straight cut vs helical cam drive gears
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: straight cut vs helical cam drive gears Reply with quote

I am planning to run a W120 cam with 1.25 rockers, dual valve springs and double thrust cam bearings. Can I get away with oem helical gears like they sell in the set at CIP with the crank slinger, spacers and keys? I don't want the added expense of straight cut gears, nor do I want to run the gauntlet of poor quality parts.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to know after what amount of lift, duration, or RPM are they considered necessary. Or is it the steepness of the ramps?
kadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mostly spring pressure and valve lift determine weather or not straight cuts are a "good idea" or not. Trick is to setup your double thrust cam bearings just right, without too much clearance, so the thrust surface has a chance of keeping a good oil film protecting it. Most double thrust bearing sets I've installed in recent years seem to be just a little too tight out of the package. Be careful to not remove too much material off the thrust surfaces before installing and measuring. Also, POLISH the cam bearing journals and thrust faces before trying to remove any material from the bearings.

I think general rule of thumb is if you're running dual valve springs, best to go with straight cuts. I ran a very mild cam (almost a W100) with dual springs (turbo motor) and helical gears and my cam thrust was warn WAY past spec in about 6,000 mi. Should have no more than .003" end play on the cam thrust.

I switched to a set of straight cuts and REALLY HATE the noise they make. The more rigidly your engine/trans is mounted, the more those noise makers are going to piss you off while trying to enjoy a cruise, in my opinion.

aka Turbobaja
Art.b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are noisy...but I like it!
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with helical gears today is they are not offered in all of the +/-sizes that VW built engines with back in the day (far as I'm aware). Nowadays it's a one size fits all sorta deal.

I used to dig straight cuts also, now I dig quiet.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they are still avalible but the copper faced thrust bearing held up much better. Dan
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need them with VW sized dual springs. When you run larger K800 or CB 650 springs then you need straight cut gears. The helical cut gears are just like anything else. You have cheap junk and good quality. I personally would use the Bugpack "Made In USA" helical gears.

My 2165 has the Bugpack gear with a FK-8 cam turning 6800 RPM and no problems.

The noise level of straight cut gears is dictated by the case machining of the relationship between the crankshaft centerline and the cam centerline.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True you don't need them on most street engines, certainly not on your combo - the guy who wore out his thrust in 6000 miles with a W100 obviously did something else wrong. I find the noise quite intrusive on anything but a loud strip or dirt engine - it is loud enough to mask other noises you might want to hear if something goes wrong. The noise is due to the necessary "slap" between the gears and while you can get a little noise from the stock style, the combination of aluminium and the helical cut makes it a lot quiter.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually disappointed in the lack of whine that my straight cuts have, I have a set of the CB pro series gears and a set of their normal straight cuts. Both engines have a very slight whine at idle but I was expecting them to be a bit louder. CB even told me that the pro series gears were noisy, I said good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
- the guy who wore out his thrust in 6000 miles with a W100 obviously did something else wrong. I find the noise quite intrusive on anything but a loud strip or dirt engine - it is loud enough to mask other noises you might want to hear if something goes wrong.

I neglected to polish the bearing/thrust surfaces on that cam. Just CB dual springs. I switched to a V26 cam on the rebuild, lifting .500" at the valve now vs. .400" previously so I went with the straight cuts. It's in a caged baja with few extra engine/trans mounts. I freakin' HATE the noise those gears make in this car Laughing . Next teardown I'm switching back to helical!!

aka Turbobaja
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rememner the crank is also thrusted back&forth from those heli gears...it's not just the cam. I gopher straight cuts.
deadkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly that combo and they sound great. I'm using CB 044 heads with their standard dual springs. Won't hurt the engine anyway, but can be noisy. I would be more concerned about the 1.25 rockers. I tried scat, empi and now CB. The others gave 1.33 and 1.37 respectively. CB rockers with adjustment at the valve side gave exactly 1.25. I was told not to go over 500 lift at the valve. Make sure you check lift at the valve.
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a loud whine use steel on steel straight cut gears.if you want it quiter use the aluminium cam gear .i like the steel on steel setup,makes it sound very nasty!
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ay, if noise is all you want get a rice burner and put one of those oversized ground scraping "silencers" on it.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now that I've decided to order it, CIP is out of the spacers and won't shp it. Not much sense buying less than the whole kit.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything I ever got from cip was junk, was not what I ordered, it was subsituted crap at full price. and no refund on shipping thier crap back.they tried to pass off a crap crank for a 4340 crank,pure junk H beam rods that had the rod bolts so loose it was like putting 5/16 bolt in a 11/32 threaded hole. and bolts were rough like they were sand balsted with corse sand. I think the only thing I got that was what it was supposed to be was the engle FK 8 cam. the wild thing about all this crap is 95% of the people getting this crap dosent know it isant the real stuff.( oh we buy in bulk and package it our self so we can give you better prices!!!)NOT!!!there lots of counterfit parts out there.if you cant tell the dif how do you know???
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are at a disadvantage in Canada for sources of parts. Shpping is a real killer from the States now. I am not ordering everything from cip, but they are convenient. The crank gear kit they sell is supposed to be Oem vw. I might just order the crank gear itself so I can at least go ahead with clearancing the camshaft.
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My straight cuts are not real noisy, Alum. I have pulled motors apart that the thrust, single thrust, was gone with Helical gears on a stock motor. The straight cuts do not push against the thrust bearing as hard. If you don't want the whine get the Alum cam gear, mine are from DRD.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled apart a 1776 with single springs this past saturday. It had a w125 and helical cam gear. The cam thrust bearing had between .030 and a .040 gouge in the inner face. End play was .0035. Missing the 1/2 side center bearing dowel, pieces of spring washer in the sump, oily metal sludge, etc. Un c/w crank 8 dowel w/ 8 dowel 15lb flywheel. I shook my head at the combo. My minimum cam like profile I do straight cuts with are w120. I may do a w110 dependant on the rest of the combo. I forgot to check the thrust mainly because of my shock to the thrust face. I did spin the cam like I usually do and it stopped after one rotation. Never know what you're going to find till u split it.....
In the end, better safe than sorry.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: