Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS torsion bar issues. Having some diag trouble
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnnoyingEric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: IRS torsion bar issues. Having some diag trouble Reply with quote

Ok, dont post much here. There is no suspension tech section so i decided to drop this here. I normally lurk and search around if i need help. But I have been working on this issues for a while now and have not figured it out.

Chassis is a 74 beetle. IRS using atomwerks 3 inch drop spring plates, swapped right-left control.

Basically my issues is that my torsion bar seems to be bending towards the rear of the car when the spring plate is bolted to my trailing arm. Ive used every straightedge i own to check the torsion tubes and they seem good. when i unbolt my trailing arm it seems to help it making me think making my trailing arms are damaged, but both sides do it and before i painted them there was no rust pop on them. I replaced the torsion with a known good set that i bought off of here. here are some pictures so you can get a better understand of the issues.

**took these with my iphone so the pictures of kind of deceiving**

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know the second picture the tube does appear bent but its just the way the picture was taken. that is why i included a closer picture of the tube. all pictures taken from the right side but left side is the same.

Any ideas??
AnnoyingEric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add, when i rebuilt the rear end of it and installed the spring plates. The torsion bars slid right in amazing. I didnt need to beat them into the splines are anything.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um..... Have you put new rubber bushing in tubes.... Also if torsion are being severely pulled towards rear, spring plates are probably to short or your pivots are setup wrong....I would suggest using stock plates and see how it fits up...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnnoyingEric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, brand new spring plate bushings and brand new trailing arm bushings. Same problem with stock spring plates.. Have pictures of stock also. Same thing.
AnnoyingEric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, I have both spacers setup like shown in your picture. I am running hard bushings now but like I said originally the setup had stock spring plates with stock bushings and did the same thing.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have new correct bushings and you have tightened down the cover plate, before installing the arms. I would say it's ok and not worry. . The bushings and plate will hold it in place and some deflection should be ok. Of course those "red" bushings may squeek. I have short torsion bars so I can't really see the end like yours but when I redid them recently I saw that the old ones seemed to have deformed a bit and probably had more pressure in one direction then the other..... Ok

Good sign that you shouldn't have to pound the torsional in, they are supposed to just slide in.

I think you are ok. Go start driving
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: