Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2014 Non-Official Winter Membership Drive
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why haven't you donated to The Samba?
I'm new here, not sure I'm a VW guy, so don't want to donate yet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I've donated before, maybe for years, but choose not to now as I feel I've done my part
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm not a paying member, but I advertise on TS or I buy a TS t-shirt/find another way to support
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
This post convined me, and I'm going to donate right now or just after the holidays
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
I'm broke, just can't afford to right now, sorry.
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
I don't believe in supporting something I can get for free/I'm cheap
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hey, I DO currently donate to this awesome place!
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 15

61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: 2014 Non-Official Winter Membership Drive Reply with quote

Okay... I'll start it off this year.

Let me start by saying that I in no way am associated with TS, except that I love this place and I want to keep it alive. I'm getting no kickback, no free t-shirt or anything of the sort. And mods, if I'm out of line here feel free to delete this post. With that all said...

Go get a star by your name and support The Samba! Just think about all those times this place has saved you money, helped you with your project, all the technical help, the inspiration, the entertainment of it all, meet-ups, new friends, etc. Sure there's some head-butting that goes on now and again, but despite this we all do support each other to keep our beloved vans on the road. Let's not forget about Everett and the folks who run this place. Keeping the lights on isn't free.

I still see many folks who, for whatever reason, choose not to join. Some very regular folks and some with a gazillion posts... Why haven't you guys donated?

Now I know we're heading into winter, the holidays are ahead and there's lots of money going out. Still, many of you purchase gifts for the van. But if you're going to buy your van any present this year, how about some love for this awesome place?!

Okay... stepping off the soap box. Hope you guys are staying warm and well.

Kevin

Moderator edits: 1) Poll option added, as suggested below. 2) The word "join" has been replaced with "donate" because when you sign up (receive a username), you have joined and are a member of the forum. Donating to the site is a different action.
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing option...

"I currently donate to The Samba... Rock on!!!"
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you don't have a star doesn't mean you haven't donated, it just means you're not donating $45/year ongoing, to have the star and other perks.

I agree with you in principal, but the site also has ads that generate revenue. The problem with soliciting donations is that I want to see an annual report or have an idea of where the money is going.

I absolutely tip my hat to the fine men and women running the site, but lest we forget the members that are generating the content that saves our keesters! I thank them too.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see by my Gold Star, I give to this site.
I have gained a wealth of knowledge from the folks here, and I pay accordingly.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would like to be able to afford a star, but i do donate what i can, when i can

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
Just because you don't have a star doesn't mean you haven't donated, it just means you're not donating $45/year ongoing, to have the star and other perks.

I agree with you in principal, but the site also has ads that generate revenue. The problem with soliciting donations is that I want to see an annual report or have an idea of where the money is going.

I absolutely tip my hat to the fine men and women running the site, but lest we forget the members that are generating the content that saves our keesters! I thank them too.

Yes, content is very important. Participation here is what makes this place great. I'd love to see fewer readers/lurkers and more people voicing their opinions and showing their projects. And I'm certain some members simply share their knowledge, and this is the way they give back to the community. Without participation, it would just be another dead forum. That said, this is the place, the meeting room if you will, where we get to share with each other. If this meeting room didn't exist, there would be no place to put that content.

I realize for many even the $45 dollars is tough and many would give the funds if they could. There are certainly legitimate reasons NOT to donate... I get life circumstances, I've had hard times too. But I honestly feel that when you look at time saved or money saved, the $45 is pretty easy to find... even if you only donate once. It's what, 12 cents a day? We can only be honest with ourselves and do what we feel is right.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
would like to be able to afford a star, but i do donate what i can, when i can

We need to start a fundraiser to get you a star! I've found many of your posts insightful and helpful. Thanks for doing what you do. I'll put a dollar up towards your star.

That's actually not a bad idea... buying someone else a star or putting funds towards a member whose posts you found useful. Mods, would this be possible?

Kevin

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
joegranzier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: loVE THE SAMBA Reply with quote

Fellas
That was a easy call , Just like the previous posting mentioned ,, this site is a VALUABLE reference for all things VW
Fun, informative - great people all around
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone needs a star.
BTDT.

Now, I recommend donating a percentage of each item sold in the classifieds.
Shoot, one can go broke paying eBay fees and they don't have any technical information available whatsoever Exclamation

Thanks Everett.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:

We need to start a fundraiser to get you a star! I've found many of your posts insightful and helpful. Thanks for doing what you do. I'll put a dollar up towards your star.

As much as I love TheSamba, it's worth reading Jaron Lanier on this topic. Long story short, by being here we are already contributing.

Don't you think the excess money ought to flow in the opposite direction? Toward those *people* who contribute most? The value here is in the people.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
61Scout wrote:

As much as I love TheSamba, it's worth reading Jaron Lanier on this topic. Long story short, by being here we are already contributing.

Don't you think the excess money ought to flow in the opposite direction? Toward those *people* who contribute most? The value here is in the people.

Yeah, I'm familiar with Lanier. Problem is he's not looking far back enough in history. The concentration of wealth and power has literally been going on for thousands of years. It's all about unfair trade and the control of natural resources. As Mark Twain said, "The success of one nation is dependent upon the indigence of another." Not to go off-topic here and get political, but there's an excellent movie narrated my Martin Sheen called "The End of Poverty? Think Again" that discusses exactly this problem of fair trade and fair wage, the historical implications and what we can do about it in the future. Great film, check it out.

My thought about buying Mark a star was meant as a kind gesture, not a jab. We've never met in person, but I can see his contributions to the forum and his posts have saved me time and money. Right, that money should go to Mark... I get the point. But does everything have to be about money? We're a community here, no? Contributing posts, projects, sharing techniques and so on is a wonderful way to contribute. Perhaps there should be a way to "award" or "earn" a star for those like Mark, who share their knowledge and experience freely.

There are other many other causes I donate to besides The Samba. Each year I set aside some cash and give to various charities. There was a time in my life when I had $7 in my wallet and no home to call my own. Someone reached out and helped me get on my feet when they didn't need to, and without that person I probably wouldn't be alive today. You're absolutely 100% right, noganav, it's about the people.... here on TS and in real life.

I believe in karma. I believe in the generosity of spirit. The world is a funny place... I can only speak for myself, but I find the more you give the more you receive. It's not about donating money, it's about attitude, your projection of energy into the world. I know some folks think that's a load of crap, but it's been true for me.

Kevin

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, if anything, Vanagon Rescue Sqaud could use some donations, and or be reformed as that doesn't have the [aforementioned] revenue stream that The Samba has from advertising.

I totally agree with you about being generous, etc... I just think it's a bit odd when we have no idea if The Samba is profitable, or about to shut down (I doubt it). Wikipedia also asks for money this time of year, but they also share their financials and don't have ads - so it's not exactly apples to apples.

So why not donate the money directly to someone that has saved your bacon with a post or a thread - just about everyone has PayPal these days. By your own logic, it's more about karma and the universe - which has nothing to do with a gold star.

At the very least it's an interesting topic that I'm sure will bring about some interesting conversations and more donations to The Samba.

Edit Another idea requires no money at all - make thread/post upvotes count towards a different colored star or symbol so we can recognize some of the [many] very valuable contributors that way.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think burying this in the "Site" forum really reflects badly on the moderation. This is somewhat Vanagon forum related as it has to do with its members.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lanier wouldn't claim that wealth concentration never happened before. He's just pointing out the mechanism by which it is happening now. Basically that the contributions of the users to the value of collaborative sites are being swept under the rug.

I suspect we agree on most of these matters. For a small site like TheSamba donations in either direction will help sustain our community, which is a very worthy goal.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
I think Lanier wouldn't claim that wealth concentration never happened before. He's just pointing out the mechanism by which it is happening now. Basically that the contributions of the users to the value of collaborative sites are being swept under the rug.

I suspect we agree on most of these matters. For a small site like TheSamba donations in either direction will help sustain our community, which is a very worthy goal.

Very Happy

True true... Lanier is no dummy. I'm sure he knows his history. But there's still the question of what to do about these unfair practices.

And you're absolutely correct about donations either way. I was never trying to discount the contributions the members make here, including my own. There are a number of other things I can do with my time besides reading/posting on TS... and I'm sure this holds true for most of us.

@Iliketowalk- Yeah the move over here to the "site" kinda sucks. I agree this thread would have gotten a lot more traction over on the Vanagon forum. But oh well... it's the mods decision... their house. Looks like they picked up at least two new donations based on the poll, and maybe a couple more, so that's cool.

Kevin

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contributed until the corporate pigs around here closed the Member's Lounge. The parties in that place were off the hook. Once that died, well, TheSamba.com has never been the same...
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 2014 Non-Official Winter Membership Drive Reply with quote

Just found this. I want a star too! Donating Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: