Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Only half engine fires at idle (3 and 4) - Air inleakage ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_fela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Only half engine fires at idle (3 and 4) - Air inleakage ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

my engine was rebuilt, I put together the long block (pistons, cylinders and heads). It works and it has only 50 miles.

The thing is that when idling, if I pull 1 and/or 2 spark plugs there is little or no change on rpm. If I pull 3 or 4 it dies. I hear some misfires, but overall 1 and 2 don't fire. But, if I open the bypass screw on the carb introducing more air, at some point 1 and 2 start firing, but then the idle is too fast by far.

The car runs great at higher RPM's, and I think overall runs pretty good, but I can tell there are misfires at low-mid RPM's.

I cheked/adjusted valves like 3 times, .004 or maybe .005 on all valves.

I've checked and changed all spark plugs and wires, dizzy parts (points, rotor, cap), etc.

Engine compression is not even, don't know why:

#3 - 110 #1 - 110
#4 - 130 #2 - 100

So I guess air inleakage, maybe related to a burnt valve/valve seat on #2, cause I don't see a problem where the manifold meets with the head. Beware, I'm not a mechanic; before I had my bug I knew nothing about cars, and I learned mostly on the internet and on thesamba.com.

I wanted to ask you guys, what could be wrong? How can I tell? Why do #1 and #2 fire when the bypass screw is opened? If there is an air inleakage, it should be on #1 and #2 side/head, right??

I really don't want to drop the engine without knowing what's going on. Any help will be ratly appreciated! I can't find the cause, it's driving me nuts and I'm worried I might break something.

Peace,

Felipe
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: air leakage Reply with quote

I doubt if its a burned valve at so little mileage. Sounds like it could be a vac leak at the intake and head. Propane can find the leak if you run it through a rubber hose and direct it around any fitting. The rpm jumps immediately, could be the problem.
I would also double check the points and for wear on the breaker plate.
The compression is at the widest range I would feel comfortable with, 20%. Better recheck that again.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a dual port? If so, how is the rubber coupler between the runners and the center section of the intake manifold?
el_fela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll be able to get a propane torch. Anything else I could use? Nobody knows what "starter fluid" is in my country.

The engine is stock, so only 1 solex 28 pci carb. Dizzy is brasilian SVDA. Will check points again.

Things that happened:

- exahust valve for cyl #2 seems made of a different material and was machined and adapted for this engine beacause it was for a diffrerent car.

- rocker arm stud broke and engine run some minutes without rocker arm.

Thank you all.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_fela wrote:
I don't think I'll be able to get a propane torch. Anything else I could use? Nobody knows what "starter fluid" is in my country.

Aerosol choke cleaner or carb cleaner spray. There SHOULD be a flammability warning on the can, that's what you want. If fuel is sucked in and rpm go up, you've found the area.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: leak Reply with quote

You can use a rubber hose IE: (garden hose) about 2 foot long or so. Listen very closely to each connection. You can shove a smaller piece of short hose in the far end to pinpoint closer
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerosol starter fluid = ether
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to pull the heads and examine them or have an experienced machine shop examine them. Since you have a somewhat makeshift valve, who knows what other makeshift conditions you have.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
el_fela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help!

To check for leaks I used a butane can for camping stoves. It seems there is a little increase in RPM when I spray some parts of the admission tube, like if there was a puncture or something, but I'm not completely sure. I will check that and when I can I will probably drop the engine.

Another VW bug mistery: while checking the distributor once again, I used the old rotor I had instead of the new one, which is a generic part . Magic ! No more pinging noises, car accelerates much smoother. I can't believe it, and there is not much difference between the 2 rotors. The old one has a narrower tip. Ow well, I don't expect an answer, just a comment Very Happy

I will update sometime!

Felipe
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: air leakage Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
Propane can find the leak if you run it through a rubber hose .

Carb cleaner will do the same thing....much safer

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have an air leak on the manifold. I doubt it is the valves. rotors will cause this also. The rotor was probably the cause but I suspect you still have a leak if the idle changes when you put the propane on the manifolds.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
el_fela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb cleaner, good tip. It didn't feel right holding that can, much less spraying it. Children, don't do this at home !

Just for the record, I still need high idle for the car to idle on all 4 cyls.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Things that happened:

- exahust valve for cyl #2 seems made of a different material and was machined and adapted for this engine beacause it was for a diffrerent car.

- rocker arm stud broke and engine run some minutes without rocker arm.

Ugh. Given this, you need to drop this engine and get this sorted out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: