Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing issue
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:

Some pulleys have two notches close together, usually 7.5BTDC and 10BTDC.

Some have three notches, one further to the left and two close together to the right, should be TDC, 7.5BTDC and 10BTDC.

Some have a single notch - usually 5ATDC.

Some have a dimple on the rearmost rim and a notch to the right on the foremost rim - should be TDC and 7.5BTDC.

There may be other versions I'm not familiar with too, but this method WILL tell you what you have and timing then becomes much easier.

My 1979 F.I. Bug has a dimple for TDC on the rearmost rim and a notch to the left on the foremost rim for 5 ATDC.

I suspect there is an F.I. pulley with a notch on the foremost rim at TDC as the 1975 F.I. Autostick was timed to TDC with the vacuum lines connected.

I would be surprised if there isn't factory pulleys marked with TDC and 7.5 BTDC. It would be easy to tell from one marked 7.5 and 10 BTDC because the marks will be about 11mm apart instead of 4mm apart.
cb747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Problem or rather several new problems.... Does anyone happen to know the size of the woodruff key that holds the pulley on the generator? Mine is so worn I have free play and the back of the pulley rubs on the generator housing... Also I blew a brake line right by the drivers foot. I also have to replace the fuel line tubing in the tunnel because its clogged. I can see this is gonna be 1 thing after another for awhile!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: