Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To buy or not?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoodridejunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: To buy or not? Reply with quote

Looking at a 56 oval here in Indiana , can't make up my mind to buy the car or not.
The car is $3,200.00 but has incorrect fenders, and Eng. cover, no door glass no motor and in seats are ok at best. Most of the other parts are there. The pan and body match the title and pans and channels are clean,
I'm not looking for a keeper but something to do over the winter and then sell later to make a few bucks. Been looking at ads here and it seems like most cars are over priced and have looked on Craigslist but not much there.
Found a off the grid bug in town but can't make up my mind,
Thoughts?
PS. No pics , Didn't want them to think I was to interested
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you are telling us is that you are a car whore in it only for the money and you can't figure out the value of the car.

It should be a simple equation. Look at what it's missing, figure a cost to finding those parts, look at the time and effort and other expenses involved in doing the car, and then figure out the going rate is for an oval in the condition you hope to make it.

If you can make money on that do the deal. If not look for the next john.
Hoodridejunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
So what you are telling us is that you are a car whore in it only for the money and you can't figure out the value of the car.

It should be a simple equation. Look at what it's missing, figure a cost to finding those parts, look at the time and effort and other expenses involved in doing the car, and then figure out the going rate is for an oval in the condition you hope to make it.

If you can make money on that do the deal. If not look for the next john.

Car Whore?
Well I like cars and I like to make money so I can buy more cars.
So I guess you are correct
Maybe I'll change my account name to car who're, or maybe Bug Whore!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoodridejunk wrote:
drscope wrote:
. . . you are a car whore in it only for the money and you can't figure out the value of the car.

. . . I like to make money . . .

Is that why you are on The Samba forum?
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Hoodridejunk wrote:
drscope wrote:
. . . you are a car whore in it only for the money and you can't figure out the value of the car.

. . . I like to make money . . .

Is that why you are on The Samba forum?

It's the only type of whoring that's not illegal. More power to ya.
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On topic, too little information to make a judgement about price.

On different topic, asking others on an enthusiast forum to use their expertise to make oneself money without giving back is probably a poor strategy.
brownie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think i understand the ? you are asking.Its like your asking us for permission to buy a car or i dont know,,If you want it get it,dont bother asking what you should do.In the end its up to you to decide
wife=72 squareback

http://beachesbugsbuses.com/

https://www.facebook.com/germanmetalvwclub
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to ask us AGAIN about ANOTHER vehicle you want to flip!

You are wondering if it's a good idea to buy that Bug so you can resell it to us so you can make some cash? You don't care if you help drive-up the cost of the hobby so many of us love!

Stop messing around and find a rich investor, buy every Oval Window that you see for sale, then, once you corner the market and you have them all, double or triple your money when you sell them here on The Samba!

We will all be your best buddies and with your bankroll, you will be able to scoop up all the split-busses to do it alll over!

You'll be RICH!! Rolling Eyes
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Stop messing around and find a rich investor, buy every Oval Window that you see for sale, then, once you corner the market and you have them all, double or triple your money when you sell them here on The Samba!

It's funny you say that as there are some people that have done that with some hard to find parts.

Message to OP:
In general, if you don't already know how much something is worth, don't buy it. Especially when it comes to cars or amounts like $3200, unless that amount is inconsequential to you.

Example:
Sometimes I will buy some part at a swap meet that I am not sure about but we are talking about a $10-$20 risk.
Sometimes the risk was worth it - it was worth more.
Sometimes I was wrong and sell it for the same price I bought it.

Edit: I made some typos
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
You don't need to ask us AGAIN about ANOTHER vehicle you want to flip!

You are wondering if it's a good idea to buy that Bug so you can resell it to us so you can make some cash? You don't care if you help drive-up the cost of the hobby so many of us love!

We will all be your best buddies and with your bankroll, you will be able to scoop up all the split-busses to do it alll over!

You'll be RICH!! Rolling Eyes

Are you serious ? So do you expect someone to buy a car put time and money into fixing it up to sell and break even ? So what if he wants to make a profit for some extra cash? What about Scott at Pedal Werks should he rebuild pedals for free ? Koch's should they restore VW's to just break even ? Lenny at West Coast Classics sell there interior kits at cost ? It would be great but there is nothing wrong with wanting to make some extra money. Most often its cheaper in the long run to buy a restored car than a fixer upper anyway. Let the PO put the time and money into it for you. I have a 63 im thinking about fixing up and selling it for more than i paid to get some parts to build another motor, is that wrong ? It seems to me he doesn't know much about early cars and was just asking for advise. I highly doubt this guy fixing up an oval will drive the cost up on our hobby and if he does, THANK YOU for making my Oval Rag and my Oval Vert worth more money if my kids need to sell them when i'm gone. Relax there are much more important things to worry about than a guy flipping an Oval.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is solid, buy it. I don't see why everyone is upset about putting a bunch of time and money into something and making a little profit. Every company you buy your parts from is making money, if they were not, you would not be buying those parts as they would be out of business.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add value to a car then the car will usually be worth more, it's that easy.
And by the time you sell, you can call that your profit. It's just how keen the buyer is to buy your car that determines how much profit you can make, since it all depends on whether you can find a buyer to buy the car for the price that you want for it.
But seeing dollar signs in VW's in my opinion is not the way to go to make big bucks; if you're only in it for the money then you should be looking at real exclusive brands like Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar, and such.

I usually buy something I like, and then find out the true (and emotional) value for me personally... and then I end up hanging on to it.
I should find a way to part with VW stuff more easily.... Laughing and get rich! And then buy a Porsche 911 RSR, haha!

Last edited by tisius on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:55 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfelke wrote:
If it is solid, buy it. I don't see why everyone is upset about putting a bunch of time and money into something and making a little profit. Every company you buy your parts from is making money, if they were not, you would not be buying those parts as they would be out of business.

I agree it's nobody's business, however by asking you opened the door . As I am writing this watching mecum auction even fully restored cars are selling for below the projected book values. Why waste your time fixing a rust bucket. I don't see anyone making money doing this, do you? Very few people can make this business model work which is why professional restoration shops are few and far between and those out there charge what we would consider very high prices, but when you consider what it takes the prices aren't really that high. You'll buy that car because you can see potential and you enjoy doing the work yourself. Rather than rattle up the boys here at samba for what they think its worth,which would be hard to do sight unseen and varies by region I'd take a look at a publication called old car price guide available at any good book store. Even this is not the last word as what someone is willing to pay sets the true market value.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: