Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat Heaters
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J. Matt Royston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Seat Heaters Reply with quote

Anyone put electric seat heaters in your Bay? If so do you have pictures of where you put the control switches?
I want it to look as stock as possible.
Thanks
Matt
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine did, hit him up. He'll probably see this soon enough anyway
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Heaters Reply with quote

J. Matt Royston wrote:
Anyone put electric seat heaters in your Bay? If so do you have pictures of where you put the control switches?
Thanks
Matt

I put mine just below the seat. I think there was a small hole there already. There is a switch in the same location on the passenger seat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
J. Matt Royston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Heaters Reply with quote

Opossum wrote:
J. Matt Royston wrote:
Thanks
Matt

I put mine just below the seat. I think there was a small hole there already. There is a switch in the same location on the passenger seat.

Thanks, I cant quite make out the exact location, can you take a pic from a little farther back?
Thanks
Matt
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Heaters Reply with quote

Opossum wrote:
J. Matt Royston wrote:
Thanks
Matt

Like Applause

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Heaters Reply with quote

J. Matt Royston wrote:

Thanks, I cant quite make out the exact location, can you take a pic from a little farther back?
Thanks
Matt

That is the right front of the driver seat. The steering wheel would be at the top of the pic. That button would be below your right knee.

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooo heated seats.... I was just think about this, looking up kits on eBay. Are there and pics of the install?
hagermanfolley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes pics please.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth it.

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the ones that I have. His and hers. Switches go in the pedestals.

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/heatedseatkits/iheat2/index.html

They require up to 10 amps of juice each. I have a 70 amp alternator and camping battery. They are wired off the camping battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
northernbus77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I have wanted to do for a while now myself. I also have a couple questions.

I have a set of heated seat elements from a '04 Chev. Impala I got from the local junkyard. My questions are;

1. How do I determine the amp draw of these units?
2. What is the limit my 35 amp generator in my '71 can handle?
Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, heated seats in an aircooled VDub are the cat's pajamas... heated pajamas at that. Smile The version I use generates heat in 1-2 minutes... way quicker than the heated seats in my Jetta(s).

Mine are controlled by a couple of aftermarket plunger-type switches in the dash (one for each side) and I used two-terminal plugs:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Connectors-adapters/2-Way-12-in-Trailer-Harness/8198137.p

so that I can unplug the seats and remove them during the summer.

I upgraded to an alternator so can't comment on the power draw, other than to say the seats I sourced came with very tiny wires... I bet they only draw in the order of 5 amps or so.
J. Matt Royston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Seat Heater Switch location Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I can see in the picture that those switches were in a walk thru, My double cab is a bench and the pedestal is way different so we chose to go in the dash and lengthen the wire looms to accommodate. We aren't done yet but here are a couple pics.

Matt
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Heaters Reply with quote

Opossum wrote:
J. Matt Royston wrote:
Thanks
Matt

Did you have to do anything to the hole? I can't get my switch in and its the same as yours. Maybe I need more muscle powah.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the seat heater pads in my seats several months ago when I rebuilt them with new pads but only got around to wiring in the switch this past weekend. I bought one of the Install Bay kits that does the bottoms and backs for two seats, but also got the single 5-position switch that controls both seats (which makes it a bit more difficult to find a good mounting point). I ended up just mounting it on the side of the passenger seat stand...which makes it extend into the walkthrough "hallway" a bit...I temporarily installed it with two zip ties pending a better location.

I have a '75 and ended up jumping off the 16A circuit for the wiper motor and rear window defroster (which I've never used)...#10 if I remember correctly...then going into an auxiliary fuse block. So far so good!
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of points...and I realize that having any heated seats in an ACVW is a huge bonus to start with.

If you are getting seat heaters out of the junkyard....get the newest ones you can and check on reviews of how well those heaters worked.
I work within the industry that makes most seat heater grids and window and mirror defroster grids.
The technology in the past 5-7 years has improved by orders of magnitude in heater grid quality, current draw, lifespan and control ability.

Don't do major mods on your seats for 10 year old heater grids

I have driven a lot of cars with heated seats and they are nowhere near equal. Much of it is in the design of the grid and the location of the pad within specific heats....but also has to do with quality of controls.

Many seat heaters are not very incremental. They either get too hot too fast...causing you to be constantly cycling them....or they do not heat very well or are very slow to heat up.

If you can find them...seat heaters from water cooled VW's from about 2011 on up are just plain awesome. The ones in my 2012 golf get significantly warm on high setting in less than a minute. They have three positions....you start them on three and your backside will be frying in the coldest weather in less than five minutes...then crank it down to 2 or 1 to maintain heat.

They also heat your back...not just the seat base pad.

A lot of the aftermarket heater kits have poor controls. Just off/on for many, not enough watts for others, poor construction for others.

From the looks of those in the pictures you probably have HSK....which are some of the better technology out there in aftermarket
http://www.heatedseatkits.com/heatedseatkits/index.html

Get the waterproof ones...trust me.

This company...Rostra Precision controls....
http://www.rostra.com/comfortheat-automotive-seat-heater-by-rostra.php

Most probably manufactures the kits for HSK....and I have made parts for Rostra (mostly mirror heating elements under contract)....and Rostra has a much better array of switches and controls available.

This company....does not have as much info on controls...but their knowledge of the differences in the parts (resistive wire versus resistive wire with membrane joiners for the pads)....exhibits experience at least in the mfg end.

As with everything else in acvw...do your homework and you will succeed. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points! It never even occurred to me to reuse heater elements and/or controls from an existing car.

Here's the kit I bought (though I paid nowhere near what this kit is advertised for...not sure why the high price):

http://www.amazon.com/Driver-Passenger-Illuminated...l+bay+ibh3

The switches have off, plus 1 - 5...but there is a half increment in between each number, so the dials effectively have like 10 positions.

Admittedly this rectangular control makes it more difficult to find a good mounting point on the Bus, and is more the import car standard size for switch cutouts in the dash. You can't just drill a big hole and put in some circular switch like in the other pictures. I like the temporary location I found but wonder if I'll want to reposition it over time. I'll post a picture when I have a chance.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
All good points! It never even occurred to me to reuse heater elements and/or controls from an existing car.

Here's the kit I bought (though I paid nowhere near what this kit is advertised for...not sure why the high price):

http://www.amazon.com/Driver-Passenger-Illuminated...l+bay+ibh3

The switches have off, plus 1 - 5...but there is a half increment in between each number, so the dials effectively have like 10 positions.

Admittedly this rectangular control makes it more difficult to find a good mounting point on the Bus, and is more the import car standard size for switch cutouts in the dash. You can't just drill a big hole and put in some circular switch like in the other pictures. I like the temporary location I found but wonder if I'll want to reposition it over time. I'll post a picture when I have a chance.

That looks like one of the Rostra mfg kits. I forgot to post the link to the third company in my last post.....but that cost you list in the amazon link.....is not really high at all if the parts you are getting ard genuine parts made by a company with good production practices. ...and not a 3rd world knock off.

The larger costs in the products are the switch and control mechanisms and in the encapsulation of the actual seat heater grid. The cheaper ones are just wire. The more expensive ones have silver printed membrane switch connections....which usually implies multiple heater grids...bottom and back. Expensive to make. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: