Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another RMW Subaru Conversion kit hits the road.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How complete is the RMW kit? The price looks good if ordering their complete package, does it include all of the coolant lines, and misc. hardware?
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out their web site and give them a call if you have any questions. But, yes you can get a complete kit with pretty much everything needed to do the swap. They produce a great product and provide excellent customer service. I have over 20,000 miles on my conversion with no major issues and would totally use their kit again.

Matt
axf7228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/Subaru_Vanagon_4_cyl_Conversion_Kit_p/rmw-skit4.htm

Check out the link. The basic kit is $2650 and comes with all required hardware, but there are some upgrades that are necessary or highly recommended.

The vehicle speed sensor is a must (ECU needs to know the speed) +$72
shortened oil pan is also highly recommended +387
harness service also HIGHLY recommended +650 This is a 20-40 hour job for the novice and sounds like a nightmare.

Also, use the code SAMBA5 to save about $180 dollars when ordering.
the craigness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think you guys might have talked me into it.

Since i'm having lots of problems with my 1.9 WBX. I mean it runs well but it's iffy as anyone reading my posts can see. I'm having hard start when hot, rough idle (now known as air intake leaks) loss of power (fuel starvation) and I want more power.

Questions:

Can I keep my brand new cat and muffler?

Can I keep my brand new fuel pump, tank and filters? (I'm sure but I thought I would ask).

How long does the conversion take in man hours? I have no workspace and would have to pay the local shop to do this.

AND what is the price out the door for anyone who has done the job recently. I have access to a low mile VERY well taken care of EJ22 engine.

This seems to be a perfect winter project. I have an 84 rust-free full camper in excellent condition with lots of long range mods and I think this would be the ultimate upgrade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
axf7228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good deal

Not sure about the muffler and cat, may want to call and ask them.
Filter, tank, pump are all reuseable.

I paid a shop $3k to do it, but my conversion was air cooled so running coolant lines, installing a new radiator etc added $1500. You should be able to find a shop that would do the install for around $1500. The kit comes with excellent instructions as well as telephone support from RMW.

Hope this helps!!
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go the RMV route last year and started saving...

Now the Canadian dollar tanked...and i was planning to pull the trigger in January or so.

Not sure if I should wait to see if the dollar gains or eat the loss...

I wanna have it on the road by the summer and I sent my harness off to Tom Shiels today..

Exciting and terrifing at the same time.

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
axf7228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the install! Remember to use the SAMBA5 code at checkout to save $180. Hopefully the exchange rate is getting better too.

Remember to label everything before pulling the wasserboxer out, should save you some future headaches. Let us know how the install goes.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axf7228 wrote:

I paid a shop $3k to do it, but my conversion was air cooled so running coolant lines, installing a new radiator etc added $1500. You should be able to find a shop that would do the install for around $1500. The kit comes with excellent instructions as well as telephone support from RMW.

That's a good price, but they may be really hard to meet. Ben, who has done around 100 of these conversions, said it generally takes him 40-45 hours. They may include resealing the old engine, addressing cooling issues, etc. But long story short - I figure @$100/hr that's $4K in labor at many shops. Of course, lower labor rates can equal a lower cost, but a longer learning curve can equal more cost.

If I were a shop, I would not even quote a water boxer out and a replacement WBX in at $1,500, unless the new engine had a new exhaust, T-Stat housing, knew the CV's were all good and all the other time suckers due to corrosion.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
axf7228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

That's a good price, but they may be really hard to meet. Ben, who has done around 100 of these conversions, said it generally takes him 40-45 hours. They may include resealing the old engine, addressing cooling issues, etc. But long story short - I figure @$100/hr that's $4K in labor at many shops. Of course, lower labor rates can equal a lower cost, but a longer learning curve can equal more cost.

If I were a shop, I would not even quote a water boxer out and a replacement WBX in at $1,500, unless the new engine had a new exhaust, T-Stat housing, knew the CV's were all good and all the other time suckers due to corrosion.

What do you mean by "resealing the old engine"?
I'm pretty certain that the labor with the RMW kit shouldn't exceed 25 hours, especially for a shop. The RMW kit includes all new exhaust components, modified bolt on coolant manifold, and the CV's have nothing at all to do with it considering they mount to the transmission. Honestly, I felt that 3k was a bit steep.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axf7228 wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:

What do you mean by "resealing the old engine"?
I'm pretty certain that the labor with the RMW kit shouldn't exceed 25 hours, especially for a shop. The RMW kit includes all new exhaust components, modified bolt on coolant manifold, and the CV's have nothing at all to do with it considering they mount to the transmission. Honestly, I felt that 3k was a bit steep.

Resealing - New seals, valve cover gaskets, timing belt, t-stat, etc. . I helped with a suby once, but I don't know how much time was into that one, so I was referring to Ben who has done more of these than probably anyone. I am doing an engine conversion right now (not suby). I bet I have 15+ hours into cleaning stuff and painting the block. From a mid-2014 thread below.

ftp2leta wrote:

Your faster then me. That is all I can say. But I'm more lazy lately.

My fastest harness was around 5-6 hours and I did over 80. Not tested and not wrapped.

Conversion time is anything between 30-70 (when thing goes wrong). The fastest ever was abut 24 hours HARD hours.

My cost with newer engine is... he he he. But let's say that 2012 low mile engine are WAY more then 2000$. Almost twice with the harness ans stuff.

A lot of stress, waiting, error welding, testing... The 2005-2008 years when everything was easy is long gone.

Now block as to be drilled and threaded to fit a normal oil pan.
Yep, the late 2.5L Legacy engine are SOHC but with different everything.

I forgot, 1 on 2 engine the battery as exploded onto this one... ugly white crap that need to be clean, that is a good 3 hours lost.

Cheers, Ben

axf7228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still unsure as to why an upgraded junkyard Suby engine would need "New seals, valve cover gaskets, timing belt, t-stat, etc. ." Of course these are all good things to do, money permitting, but far from necessary unless their current condition is poor.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't; put any used engine into my van without re-doing all the seals, T-Belt, T-stat - but that's just me. Necessary? Maybe not, but after watching my friend who installed a Suby, ignore the advice of a more experienced mutual friend to replace the main seal, only to have the rear main leak, I decided not to repeat this mistake.

Nothing like completing an engine conversion and then have to pull out the engine out immediately or live with a mess. Rolling Eyes
I have a saying- "It's good to learn from your mistakes, but it's even better to learn from someone else's." Laughing

Would I do such on a 30K mile motor - no, but only if I was 99% convinced the mileage was true. My odometer reads 35,000 miles low. Replaced under warranty, all legal, the dealer put a little sticker noting the mileage difference. No one would ever notice this in a junk yard? Had my car been wrecked with say 60K on the odo, the actual milage would be 95K - or time for a timing belt, yet how would you know? YMMV (indeed!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: