Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making of: intake manifolds
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I think your right - and I have been thinking about dual carbs to replace my judson on the 63 1200 (fresh air) bug

but there is the fresh air / stale air difference in cooling fan housing (fresh air duct on Rt) that might affect the angle of the intake out of head - with curve you have it might just fit fresh air.

someone on here would know for sure - Ill try to look at my intake and housing fit to see (its fresh air)
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welt. What measurement are you wanting? I have a set of 40hp heads and a set of calipers.
Welt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojai63dbl wrote:

but there is the fresh air / stale air difference in cooling fan housing (fresh air duct on Rt) that might affect the angle of the intake out of head - with curve you have it might just fit fresh air.

Oh yeah, that too. It's already a pretty tight fit with a 36hp shroud so I have my doubts about the fresh air shroud fitting. I have one shroud from a F-code engine I could use to test on a 36hp block. I have no idea if engine widths are the same though /if the test is meaningful at all.

bdub475 wrote:
What measurement are you wanting?

The intake flange/sealing surface size differences seems to be known, but is the intake stud pattern exactly the same? Could you measure stud to stud (outside to outside) just to be sure? I assume all SP manifold studs are M6.
1974 Beetle
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside to outside is roughly 65mm studs are around 6mm. I don't have a metric caliber so I used a ruler in mm.
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Vanguard intakes for a 40hp. They are steal not cast. They clear the fresh air shroud. One thing is they are kind of tall. Small air cleaners would need to be used or something like the ghia elbows for the okrasa kit. I would be willing to send them to you if you could use them as a baseline to make some cast version's. You could even cast them an inch or so shorter to accommodate better air cleaners. It would sure be nice to have some reasonably priced intakes on the market.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Welt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cast a set of 40hp size flange manifolds but not yet finished them and tried them on a set of cylinder heads, JFYI. Here's the first Okrasa manifold in bead blasted finish.

1974 Beetle
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: