Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colorado Bay Owners?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm always up for VW adventure. Westminster / North Denver here.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I just spoke to my fried who works for the forest service. He told me to call the Saguache Ranger District office to find out where a good free spot to camp would be. I will do that tomorrow and ask about Gibson. We'll get it figured out on no time

I just called the ranger station. She said our best bet would be in the Rio Grande Ntl Forest just south of the sand dunes. Looks like it is easily accessible from US 150 just before you enter the dunes. She took my information and said she would have someone call me back with a more detailed location. The Gazetteer shows it and the many roads that lead there but the map is alittle unclear. I will do more research tonight on the computer and hope they call back.

Maybe near South Zapata Creek just pas Zapata Falls. There is an access road on US150 just south of LN6N. It's a dirt road that leads directly into the the Ntl Forest. Thoughts?
Zapata is where my finger is, the trail starts where us150 ends at the yellow line. Seems close enough.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Edit: it's pay only camping with 25 or so sites
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
HerrMahnenschmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Colorado, 2 miles south of the state line south of Laramie. I may or may not be able to make this scheduled rendezvous in April. Bus is still in parts all over the very cold Laramie garage floor, and progress is slow. It should be up and running by then. Have an enjoyable time either way.

Last edited by HerrMahnenschmidt on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, cant lie that my interest has peaked....or is it piqued? Razz

there has to be more then one hour of dirt roads though....itll be a three day trip one way for me, so its a big leap to come all the way. this is assuming funds and my transmission is installed. with my LSD> Very Happy Very Happy

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's going to more then an hour of off road. Three days each way, a couple of nights camping and some 2 wheelin. What's not to like about that? Come south through Salt Lake and Moab to Durango. We'll car-a-bus out to the Friday camp out together, hopefully with some of the other Durango Vdubers.

Anybody in the Alamosa area who can help us out with a good camping spot?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurora here!

Up for meet ups and road/dirt trips just about anytime. The late April trip sounds awesome but my wife is due April 29th so I'll have to play that one by ear...
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)

Last edited by camit34 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hot will the moab desert be in april midday? I could use some sun to look forward to...

I have a grandma in denver i will be needing to see if i head that way, so thatll be on at least one side of the trip....

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recon there Rich. I have stayed at the Zapata Falls area and its nice, nicer than the Dunes spots. Again, it will be much colder so close to the mountains...the relentless wind is what makes the dunes to begin with. What we need is a map of state land, I believe there is a state water board in Alamosa. They are are very helpful with accurate information. My local FS rangers have just about become rent-a-cops with little interest in providing information to those actually wanting to USE the forest. Any VWdubers close to Hooper?? Stuart, sounds like more than enough reasons for an extended roadtrip..I hear fear in your posts "it might be hot", "its a long way", "I need a good reason". Your spirit wants to go, you have a grandparent in Denver (those moments with elders become VERY important as you get older) and "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are for". At your age I hit the road for points unknown a brokedick with a worn out 1600 that I had to put a front seal in every 5K miles. There is a whole world of ways to make money on the road and do all necessary repairs. I didn't even have AAA (still don't). What you put off while young you probably will never see as you get older., Pep talk over!!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
How hot will the moab desert be in april midday? I could use some sun to look forward to...

I have a grandma in denver i will be needing to see if i head that way, so thatll be on at least one side of the trip....

Being the desert temps vary but should be in the 60s to high 70s. I'm with Manfred. Come south hook up with us, after the weekend head up to denver with the people going that way and see you grandma. Sounds like a win win! Manfred I will keep on looking and asking around for a good place to camp.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Anybody in the Alamosa area who can help us out with a good camping spot?

Rich, Manfred and I camped at the campsite in Del Norte along the Rio Grande on the way over for the San Juan trip.
Woods & River RV Park & Campground. I think it was $20 for two of us, but I seem to remember they even gave us a break on the price. The owners were very cool, the facilities were clean, kind of old school and they had benches and fire pits with wood lying about.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

count me in! might even bring both buses... Cool

kris
70 Squareback
73 Thing
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I liked that campground as well, it just puts us another hour away from Medano pass, and we need any early start. Ideally we need something on hwy17 or 112, that gets us warmer temps and a great jump-off point for the 'Muster'.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Brian, I liked that campground as well, it just puts us another hour away from Medano pass, and we need any early start. Ideally we need something on hwy17 or 112, that gets us warmer temps and a great jump-off point for the 'Muster'.

Gotcha Manfred. BTW, do you remember the first picnic table we sat on? Laughing Laughing
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich & Manfred, isn't there a campground at San Luis State Park/Lake?

Found a campsite called Pinyon Flats right on 150. Can't find much information on it, but it is about 20 miles north from 160 on 150, which would make it maybe 10 miles north of Rich's finger on the map above and 10 miles south of Medrano Pass.
https://plus.google.com/117239920321396210906/about?hl=en&gl=us
http://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
TOOB Member #15
Brian
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, we are aware of both of those campgrounds. We're were trying to locate a free site on BLM or state land. I think we settled on a camp location yesterday and the new thread will be started soon. I will post a link here to it.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This trip motivates me to get my trans installed. Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the spirit..I figure you spend 2-3 hrs per day being a post whore, so if you cut that down by 1/2 you will have your trans insatlled in less that 1 week (about a six hour job). San Luis state park is out for those dates, closed for the winter. We may have a problem accessing the pass on that date as well. This is a work in progress, stay tuned. Yes , I remember the first "piknik" table at Del Norte...lucky to have survived (scariest part of the whole trip!).
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
That's the spirit..I figure you spend 2-3 hrs per day being a post whore, so if you cut that down by 1/2 you will have your trans insatlled in less that 1 week (about a six hour job). San Luis state park is out for those dates, closed for the winter. We may have a problem accessing the pass on that date as well. This is a work in progress, stay tuned. Yes , I remember the first "piknik" table at Del Norte...lucky to have survived (scariest part of the whole trip!).

where do you get 6 hours? this isnt a wrench and rachet world anymore...power tools yo!

engine out, trans out, CV joints out, rear main, end play, clutch, flywheel (new resurfaced) throw out bearing, pilot bearing, reinstall engine and trans and CV joints, back inside within 4 hours. Wink

Challenge Accepted. Liar

206-841-7324
[email protected]
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

engine out, trans out, CV joints out, rear main, end play, clutch, flywheel (new resurfaced) throw out bearing, pilot bearing, reinstall engine and trans and CV joints, back inside within 4 hours. Wink

Challenge Accepted. Liar

4 hrs? That's at least an 8 hr job for a married guy Smile. I didn't read any mention of beer drinking durning this time? Always gotta add on a couple of hours for that.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single, dont drink, dont smoke, drug free, dont waste my time on women who arnt worth the friendship....i got a lot that doesnt distract me that most people have. Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 31

Jump to: